Everyone's a Sinner

This popular phrase - covers with it - a vast spectrum - of individuals.
It’s almost like saying that were all human.

Do you feel it’s right to apply it in certain religious context…as a Catholic…
along side such people who have committed crimes - etc
or even with people who don’t know Jesus -
or, horrifically, with people who have actually given themselves over to the devil.

Can we put ourselves above this phrase - or is that a sin ?

We are all sinners.
Full stop.

Once you start comparing your “little” sins with somebody else’s major life screw ups, your on a dangerous and prideful path.

Only God can judge

We all fall short to varying degrees. Few of us are dangerous in the manner in which this happens. Discerning those who are is essential. What we all have in common is that the penalty, separation from God, remains the same no matter how we have failed. I hope this helps somewhat in answering your question.

I have a concrete path on which a whole bottle of olive oil spilt. I left it for a few days and I noticed that it had spread, dark and oily enlarged and still growing. So I used diluted detergent and scrubbed it a little and left it to dry. Next day it was worse so I did it again. It’s still there but I’m going to repeat my actions because every time I wash it clean it removes the top layer and I figure that eventually it will all be dealt with, though maybe finally by the next owner of my house.

I almost forgot, now that the weather has turned damp the concrete has absorbed moisture which is helping to force the oil out. I’m very hopeful the stained concrete will eventually be cleaned.

Well, how about saying, " I’m a repentant sinner " -
or is this too much separation - away from our pagan brothers ?

Why are you so reluctant to call yourself a sinner?

I’m not reluctant but I do go to confession - and attend mass when I can -
and do my share of spiritual reading - and the rosary too - etc
and honestly, in my heart believe, that the blood of Jesus - cleanses -

But - If I’m always going to be called a sinner - it just doesn’t sound right .

We are all sinners. We will always be sinners. Not past tense, present tense. We sin. It’s a fact.

We strive for holiness, yes. We receive sacramental grace. So we are also saints (holy ones) in that respect.

We don’t remain static. We are fighting the good fight always.

It keeps us humble, but I totally understand what you mean. Are we never to get it right? we may ask. I sometimes look at it this way; I have made mistakes and will make more. That makes me someone who is prone to making mistakes and am not perfect. Takes the edge off a bit when our ego feels slighted. :slight_smile:

At daybreak Jesus appeared in the Temple again; and as all the people came to him, he sat down and began to teach them.

.The scribes and Pharisees brought a woman along who had been caught committing adultery; and making her stand there in the middle .they said to Jesus, ‘Master, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery, .and in the Law Moses has ordered us to stone women of this kind. What have you got to say?’

But Jesus bent down and started writing on the ground with his finger .

.As they persisted with their question, he straightened up and said, ‘Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.’"

There was a commotion at the back of the crowd , and a stone came flying through the air .

On tip toe Jesus peered over the crowd , and then called out , " Okay mother . You have made your point . "

Only 4 persons were put on earth without sin. Adam. Eve. Mary. Jesus. The first two sinned. The second two did not. As a Catholic I would point out that we are indeed all NOT sinners because at least one of mankind never had sin, and never did sin. Mary. Baptism removed original sin so therefore a child before the age of reason who has been baptized is sinless. There’s millions of those walking the planet. Then while most of us have sinned. It is not accurate to call us all sinners. A baptized Catholic in the state of grace is not a sinner. They perhaps were sinners. They perhaps will be again. Though they may not. The world is fallen and in a sinful state but we are called to rise above that. Small t tradition holds that John the Baptist and several others led sinless lives except for original sin.

As others have already said, we are all sinners. There’s really no way to get around it. Even if we go to confession, frequently, we are still sinners. We might be washed clean for a short time after we receive absolution and perform the penance we’re given by the Priest, but we can never let our guard down. We’re still prone to sin again due to the concupiscence of the flesh that’s part of our human nature.

We might not even be aware of all the ways in which we commit sins every day, either by commission or omission. Most of those may only be venial sins, but they are still sins. That’s why we should continue to do little acts of penance, even if we aren’t aware of committing any sins, because penance helps us to pay back the temporal penalty that’s due for our “unknown” sins. Even though we try really hard to avoid all sin, we don’t always do as good a job as we might think we do. Thank God for Purgatory! :wink:

Since my house is in need of constant repair it stirs me from complacency and idleness and once repaired my house has increased in value. Of course this work is never finished.

I don’t hate the house but I hate the rot which must be dealt with. What if I had no house and no labour? I thank God for the opportunity.

If it’s factual, there’s nothing wrong with saying it.

Romans 3:23 King James Version (KJV)

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

It depends on who “everyone” is.

Huh?

We are all sinners, but some people are not mortal sinners, and others may only commit “lesser” mortal sins, while other commit the most heinous sins.

So yes, we are all sinners, but we all sin at different levels.

Wow. You believers are tough !
I honestly thought that I’d get a little give and take -
Maybe this is what some might call - the root of “ Catholic Guilt “ -
Can we at least be happy and confident in Jesus sinners then -
Does it really have to be - point blank - “ sinners “ -
I bet Jesus never called anybody a sinner -

Sinners sounds better than brood of vipers…

We are all sinners (Mary excluded) - point blank. God’s mercy and forgiveness is available to all sinners. Those 2 ideas coexist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.