Everything you need to know about Ireland's disaffected Catholics

theweek.com/article/index/263824/everything-you-need-to-know-about-irelands-disaffected-catholics

I don’t agree with this article. I post it to show how reporters continue to blame the Church for upholding its teachings on sexual matters,accusing the clergy in general of hypocrisy,and claiming that the reason why so many Catholics have left the Church is because of sex scandals among the clergy. Do loyal,devout Catholics leave the Church because of its teachings on sex,or because of the sex scandals and hypocrisy of some clergymen? I do not think so.

I think you are 100% correct. I remember the revelations about Archbishop Casey (the boy’s mother broke the story on the most popular talk show), soon after that; the revelations about Fr. D’Arcy; after that the abuses; the orphanages; the Magdalene Laundries. We weren’t given time to get to our feet before being knocked down again and many were disgusted and disillusioned.

I do see change, though. I think the pendulum has swung so far as to make people wonder if we’ve thrown the baby out with the bath water. The biggest danger now is ‘Cultural Catholicism’; children who never darken a Church door but for their sacraments and who only ever hear God mentioned at school. If our present government get their way; even mentioning Him at school will be forbidden.

Of your charity; please pray for Ireland. x

John 6:67Jesus then said to the Twelve, “Do you also want to leave?” 68 Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God.”

Peace

Alot did go on in Ireland though. Many people put their trust in not only priests but others too and to find out that certain acts were carried out on children must be upsetting and cause a person to lose faith. Maybe some people rely too heavily on another person for their faith in God, forgetting that priests are just as human as they are.
A lady at my parish told of a priest in the south of Ireland that he had 5 children to his housekeeper, this was 1940-1950 and most people were aware of it, but noone made any objection to it. I find it hard to understand in our times, but back then people never spoke of such things, they were brushed under the carpet. Seems we always need to learn from the past.

Yes.

Who of us have not had difficulty in our families, yet find a way to forgive and refashion our relationships. The Church is a truly human institution with wonderful supernatural guidance. We do need to call our leaders to book, but then we need to move on, while protecting the vulnerable.

let him who has no sin cast the first stone.

p.s. do not frown at me: frown at Christ who said it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.