Evil forks

I herd a rather weird accusation from an anti catholic recently. He stated that at some point in the Middle Ages that the church taught it was sinful to eat with a fork. I think this was because it resembled the devils pitchfork.

After I finished laughing I explained that the church never taught such a thing but it may have been possible some misinformed but well-meaning priest may have said it at one time. Pointing out that it does not mean the church ever officially taught it.

Has anyone ever herd of this before? Anyone else have any information on this? Josh

[quote=jkdrum]I herd a rather weird accusation from an anti catholic recently. He stated that at some point in the Middle Ages that the church taught it was sinful to eat with a fork. I think this was because it resembled the devils pitchfork.

After I finished laughing I explained that the church never taught such a thing but it may have been possible some misinformed but well-meaning priest may have said it at one time. Pointing out that it does not mean the church ever officially taught it.

Has anyone ever herd of this before? Anyone else have any information on this? Josh
[/quote]

No, but it is funny.

[quote=jkdrum]I herd a rather weird accusation from an anti catholic recently. He stated that at some point in the Middle Ages that the church taught it was sinful to eat with a fork. I think this was because it resembled the devils pitchfork.

[/quote]

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_5_21.gif

Perhaps just a matter of etiquite…which fork to use… shrimp fork, salad fork, dinner fork, dessert fork…

what will non-Catholics think of next…

as for his complaint, just pitch it.

It was only a venial sin.

Not using the correct salad fork, though–that was more serious.

I think your informant is mistaken, it is the spork that is forbidden, c’est has a fatwah out about it, definitely anethema

I just did an “evil fork” search. I actually came upon a paper written discussing the fact that in middle ages eating with a fork was considered evil. kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/ease_your_curiosity/article_forks.htm

It is easy to see where this could snowball. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_3.gif

I was going to add that sporks would be an evil and unholy joining of two separate and good items, but I was beaten to it.

Well, I guess we can all just use chopsticks!

John

I agree with puzzleannie - sporks are the devil’s own spawn. Especially the thinly made ones that always break right when you’ve got the best bite of food hanging on for dear life on their tines. Nasty stuff. :smiley:

How would us Italian Catholics eat our pasta without the fork? If it was banned, we would be slurping up spaghetti with a spoon. Verrry Noisy!!

Ah, do you remember the owl and the pussy cat who set out to sea in a peagreen boat. They ate with a runcible spoon which was the acceptable early version of a fork. It was a spoon with slots cut in it that ran from the tip to the handle end. Anyone who knows anything about the middle ages knows among the common folk there were a lot of superstitions and strange beliefs. Were forks declared the devils tools by an infallible pronunciation? Probably not. But was it taught by pius folks, maybe even clergy? Very likely. I first heard this in a German restaurant, the Swartzen Adler or Black Eagle in Rotenburg on the Tauber a little northwest of Munich. The restaurant served food medieval style, knife, spoon, and hands. No forks because they were frowned on by the church as resembling the pitchfork of the devil. See some of Durer’s woodcut prints if you want to see the popular conception of beasties from hell as well as the torment of the damned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.