Evil not so banal, says disturbing new probe

Paris (AFP) - What prompts ordinary people to commit acts of evil?

The question has been debated by philosophers, moralists, historians and scientists for centuries.

One idea that carries much weight today is this: you, me – almost anyone – is capable of carrying out atrocities if ordered to do so.

news.yahoo.com/evil-not-banal-says-disturbing-probe-060901725.html

The result, in a nutshell, appears to be that people identify with a cause.

We see this all the time - ordinary women will assent to the murder of their unborn children because they think they’re doing it for the greater good.

ISIS terrorists will crucify Christians and behead women and children because they identify with their distorted faith.

Pol Pot’s Khmer Rouge murdered millions of their fellow countrymen because they identified with their communist cause.

Soldiers, including Allies, shot prisoners either in a moment of rage or because they were on the wrong side, or inconveniently dangerous while trying to take them to the rear lines.

In the Wars of the Reformation, soldiers all over Europe, on both sides, killed millions of their fellow Christians in the name of Christ.

We’ve been acting like this through all our history. That’s why the first axiom of Christianity is that human nature is flawed, and needs a redeemer.

One idea that carries much weight today is this: you, me – almost anyone – is capable of carrying out atrocities if ordered to do so.

I wouldn’t say that’s new. There is observational (anecdotal) evidence, as well as the Milgram experiment back in 1963.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.