evil

why does evil happen in the world? everyone asks that why would loving God permit it? What’s your answer?

First off, evil is and was never apart of God’s desired will. But God in his infinite wisdom and love gave us free will (the ablility to choose between Him (good) and nothing (evil)). Because of this God permitted evil to happen. However, God has taken all the evil of the world and brought about a greater good and showed us His infinite love for us by dying on the cross.

[quote=filmmaker]why does evil happen in the world? everyone asks that why would loving God permit it? What’s your answer?
[/quote]

Have you seen this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=54702

another link:
peterkreeft.com/topics/evil.htm

If we didn’t have evil, then we wouldn’t know what good is.

Without evil, we could never use our free will to avoid it.

God created the world by dividing things up; light/dark, water/land, firmament/land or whatever, and saw that it was good.

Somehow I wonder whether He thinks His creation, though being divided between evil and good, is far more interesting and satisfying for whatever He gets out of it than just a flat blah place where the kids frolicked in the garden and never got into any mischief. I mean, if my kids never went against me, then I’d have no stories of woe to commiserate with other parents.

Then again, who knows the mind of God? I just figure that whatever God thinks is probably just the opposite of whatever I do, so that’s where I get some of these goofy ideas.

Alan

[quote=AlanFromWichita]If we didn’t have evil, then we wouldn’t know what good is.

Without evil, we could never use our free will to avoid it.

God created the world by dividing things up; light/dark, water/land, firmament/land or whatever, and saw that it was good.

Somehow I wonder whether He thinks His creation, though being divided between evil and good, is far more interesting and satisfying for whatever He gets out of it than just a flat blah place where the kids frolicked in the garden and never got into any mischief. I mean, if my kids never went against me, then I’d have no stories of woe to commiserate with other parents.

Then again, who knows the mind of God? I just figure that whatever God thinks is probably just the opposite of whatever I do, so that’s where I get some of these goofy ideas.

Alan
[/quote]

Yes but why do some people have to suffer more than others? It seems as though some people just come into the world to suffer, and no matter what, happiness for them is short lasting.

Couple of things:

1. For those whom God loves, He allows them to share in a greater portion of His suffering - think “redemptive power of suffering” Colossians 1:24-29 (tons of Catholic writing on this!)
  2. A lifetime of horrible suffering, when compared to eternity before God, will amount to far less than “a night in an uncomfortable motel”. It’s all about perspective.

God bless you and keep you,

RyanL

[quote=misericordie]Yes but why do some people have to suffer more than others? It seems as though some people just come into the world to suffer, and no matter what, happiness for them is short lasting.
[/quote]

Only unused suffering is wasted suffering. Not only can we offer our own suffering in love, but other’s suffering can ignite the best in us, namely charity, service, sympathy, and prayer.

We can also trust in God’s justice that suffering for His sake will not go unrewarded in someway, even if that way is not evident to us now.

[quote=misericordie]Yes but why do some people have to suffer more than others? It seems as though some people just come into the world to suffer, and no matter what, happiness for them is short lasting.
[/quote]

Each person has an individual tale, and I don’t have an objective way to compare them to mine in terms of stress or suffering.

One thing that I’ve finally been making work in my life is a concept I’ve known intellectually for years. That is to disconnect my expectations for plans to go as hoped from happiness. In other words, if things have to go as I plan or forecast or wish in order for me to be happy, then I am likely to have a long time waiting because things always come up to change my plans.

Alan

There is no evil that God cannot turn into good if He desires to do so. Look at the fall of man. Without the fall of man there would be no need for Jesus to become man and die for our sins. However, because Jesus became man and died for our sins, we have the possibility of experiencing heaven if we follow God’s commandments.

matt

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.