Evolution, Fossils and Catholics...

Do some Catholics really believe in Evolution and fossils, and what is your answer on this issue?

Of course there are, and I’m one of them. This isn’t the greatest source, but in this case, what Wikipedia states on the matter is basically accurate:

"In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces. Today, the Church supports theistic evolution(ism), also known as evolutionary creation, although Catholics are free not to believe in any part of evolutionary theory.

The Catholic Church holds no official position on the theory of creation or evolution, leaving the specifics of either theistic evolution or literal creationism to the individual within certain parameters established by the Church. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, any believer may accept either literal or special creation within the period of an actual six day, twenty-four hour period, or they may accept the belief that the earth evolved over time under the guidance of God. All Catholics must accept that God initiated and continued the process of his evolutionary creation, that Adam and Eve were real people (although they may have not been the only two humans existent in the beginning of time), and that all humans, whether specially created or evolved, have and have always had specially created souls for each individual. Catholics can believe in evolution just as long as God’s involvement is acknowledged."

It sounds as if you are surprised! The Church even allows for extra terrestrials. You have a very good mind, use it.

I see fossils all the time…so why wouldn’t I believe in them. :shrug:

As for evolution - it’s a fine scientific theory…God works in mysterious ways…

My answer on this matter is simple…None of this effects my walk with Christ or what Christ expects of me in this life. My Lord has commanded that we love one another. In fact we are commanded to be perfect in our Love.
That is quite enough to keep us busy in this life - - So I really don’t worry about things like evolution…Right or wrong…it effects me not one bit…:shrug:

Peace
James

I do. Especially fossils. I’ve seen fossils. They are real. :thumbsup:

The key issues of Catholic Faith regarding the intersection of science with Catholic doctrines are in sections 35, 36, and 37 of the encyclical Humani generis and point 5, last sentence in St. John Paul II address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, October 22, 1996, and CCC, 390

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_12081950_humani-generis_en.html

newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/
or scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

I’ve created enough of a stir for today with my postings on another thread dealing with global warming.
Have a look at what Fr. Robert Barron has to say about this topic. I think that he speaks for the Catholic Church in general. And that’s what most Catholics accept. As was pointed out by another poster, the Catholic Church accepted evolution back in 1950. Here is the link to Fr. Robert Barron’s talk on that topic:

youtube.com/watch?v=UVsbVAVSssc

In 1950? Who said this?

usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-04-12-pope-evolution_n.htm

Peace,
Ed

Pope Pius XII made an official ruling (encyclical) in 1950: “considering the doctrine of ‘evolutionism’ a serious hypothesis worthy of investigation” but that “this opinion should not be adopted as though it were certain, proven doctrine”. That was the wording Pope John Paul II used in 1996. He went on to say that “Today, almost half a century later … fresh knowledge has led to the recognition that evolution is more than a hypothesis …”

The fossil record shows abrupt appearance, stasis and variation within. (aka adaptation) Complexity was there right at the beginning.

+JMJ+

Sorry for being a wet blanket, guys, but…

Temporary Ban on Evolution/Atheism Threads :frowning:

Why would you limit God?

Of course.
I myself, am a fossil. :smiley:

Mine is the same as that of the Church.

I found the following sources very helpful from CA.

[LIST]
*]What does the Church say about creation?
*]How do Catholics understand the creation story?
*]Does the pope teach us that evolution is false?
*]Why did God create dinosaurs?
*]Dinosaurs?
*]What is the Church’s view of evolution?
*]Where does the prehistoric age fall in the book of Genesis?
*]Is the earth 5,700 years old?
*]Can Catholics believe in a literal six-day creation?
[/LIST]
Recommended Book:
Chance Or Purpose?
Cardinal Schönborn (Archbishop of Vienna, Austria)

*http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/QATC.gif

Sticky: Temporary Ban on Evolution/Atheism Threads*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.