Evolution vs. Creationism Debate

Hey,

I’m looking for a good debate Evolution vs. Creationism Debate

Thanks

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=209575&highlight=evolution

Try a search. I’m sure there are about 6.023x10^23 number of posts on that subject.

I’d be willing to take odds that it’s no more than 5.918x 10^21!

This is a transcript of a debate that I watched, but can’t find a video of it.

For the proposition that evolutionists should acknowledge creation were:

William F. Buckley, Jr., conservative author
Michael Behe, professor of biochemistry
Philip E. Johnson, professor of law
David Berlinskey, writer on mathematics and religion

Opposed to the proposition were:

Barry Lynn, minister and attorney, director of American’s United
for Separation of Church and State.
Eugenie Scott, anthropologist, CSICOP fellow and director of
Center for Science Education
Michael Ruse, professor of philosophy
Kenneth Miller, professor in cell biology, author of “Finding
Darwin’s God”.

For more debates, you can google anyone of these people’s names and put “+debate”.

Especially Behe, Ruse and Miller.

I apologize for creating another thread.

I was looking for a showdown between two top authorities.
For example, Richard Dawkins vs. a top apologist

Thanks

LOL!

There is a guy here that have debated Dawkins but is as most catholics outside the US, a theistic evolutionist.
So is a theistic evolution vs atheistic evolution debate, not a evolution vs creationism debate.
I would leave creationism to the SDAs and fundamental protestants.

Is this design or chance? :smiley:

sideline << This is a transcript of a debate that I watched, but can’t find a video of it. For the proposition that evolutionists should acknowledge creation were >>

I typed in (by hand, took 2 weeks) the entire transcript of that debate a few years ago. It is indeed one of the better debates on the topic.

The Firing Line 1997 Creation-Evolution Debate transcript and MP3 audio

Also see my audio page, I include a number of these in MP3

Phil P

Amu << I was looking for a showdown between two top authorities. For example, Richard Dawkins vs. a top apologist >>

Dawkins has debated Alister McGrath (MP3) and John Lennox (MP3). There are probably others, but I don’t have them online.

I am still waiting for the William Lane Craig vs. Dawkins debate. There are more formidable opponents than Dawkins. Craig’s toughest opponents have been (in my opinion): Austin Dacey (on existence of God), Vic Stenger (on existence of God), Walter Sinnott-Armstrong (on evil and suffering), Paul Draper (an agnostic at the time, and well-prepared), Eddie Tabash (a lawyer but was aggressive and well-coached), and Bart Ehrman (on the resurrection).

Stenger knows physics but since he is not trained in Christian theology and tried to refute God’s existence by showing problems with God’s attributes, that is where Craig cleaned up since that is Craig’s speciality. Dawkins knows too little of the specifics of Christian theology to make much of a dent in Craig’s classic presentation. That was also Stenger’s problem. The Craig-Draper I am converting audio from DVD. Very good and close debate, although I should listen a couple more times.

All MP3 on my audio page. :thumbsup: I re-encoded (16 or 32 kbps) to save file size but I normally boost the volume and try to clean up “pops” and extraneous loud noises for a pleasant ipod experience. :smiley:

Phil P

Transcribed it by hand?

Wow Phil, I appreciate your efforts for he cause but maybe you need a hobby?

Or a puppy?
:wink:

SteveA<< Transcribed it by hand? Wow Phil, I appreciate your efforts for the cause but maybe you need a hobby? >>

Yeah I went nuts for 2 weeks. I didn’t think it would be that hard, but I wanted to finish. It is more accurate than the “official” transcript you can get from PBS. Also bought a domain name just for the transcript.

www.CreationEvolutionDebate.com

:stuck_out_tongue:

Then it was quoted in a footnote in Dembski’s “rebuttal” paper for the Dover Trial. See his footnote #3 at the bottom of this PDF (Rebuttal to Reports by Opposing Expert Witnesses). :thumbsup:

Phil P

I can’t imagine doing that, well done. At the time I didn’t have much interest in evolution, actually. I was trying to get Michael Ruse’s daughter to date me. I thought it might impress her if I could quote her dad.

In retrospect, I have no idea why I thought that would work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh well, I got to watch a really interesting debate out of it, and become a fan of Ken Miller.

I don’t understand what you mean

Do Catholics believe Adam came from another species? What do you mean by theistic evolutionism.

Phil that debate is over 10 years old. Haven’t they discovered new evidence for evolution recently?

Amu << Phil that debate is over 10 years old. Haven’t they discovered new evidence for evolution recently? >>

Sure science is finding it all the time. But that 10-year-old debate is still one of the better ones presenting “both sides” as best they can. And I think the evolutionists still won. The issues brought up are still brought up today: the Big Bang, the “Fine Tuning” argument, God and evolution, naturalism and evolution, what the scientific method is, the whale transitions (there are now about 20+ instead of just 3), the reptile-mammal transitions (conceded by Berlinski and others), the horse evolution sequence, the elephant evolution sequence, appearance and extinction of species, micro and macroevolution, Global Flood, dinosaurs, the bacterial flagellum, Behe’s complexity, Haeckel and his pictures, evolution and the problem of evil (briefly), etc.

No other debate I have covers all those topics. The 1994 Johnson vs. Provine debate was pretty good, but they didn’t cover as much of the science. Even the Firing Line 1997 debate only scratched the surface, but they did the best in two hours.

Phil P

Do you disagree with evolutionism? If it won, isn’t that bad for Christians?

Amu << Do you disagree with evolutionism? If it won, isn’t that bad for Christians? >>

I support the science of evolution. I agree with creation in the broad philosophical/theological sense. I don’t agree with “creationism” or upper-case Intelligent Design of the Discovery Institute. I agree with Phil Johnson and Eugenie Scott who both said in that debate that some scientists turn evolution into a religion or a philosophical position.

But otherwise it can’t be “bad” to support good and correct science. In that debate I agree with Barry Lynn (his opening and closing statements were great) and Kenneth Miller, although I probably disagree with Barry Lynn on other issues not related to the science. He is a very liberal Protestant minister.

Phil P

What I’m asking is: Do you believe Adam came from another species? And do you believe science contradicts your believes regarding this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.