Evolution vs genesis.

Is it possible to both believe in Darwinian theory of evolution and in Genesis? I know that Bl. JPII and B16 believed in evolution to some extent. So the question is obviously to what extent can a true believer believe in evolution of man? And doesn’t this theory contradict genesis?

As stated on previous threads, I personally believe both Genesis creation stories, in particular that God created man from the dust in His own image [not a neanderthol] and breathed life into him.

That being said, I don’t agree with St. John Paul The Great’s idea on “Theistic Evolution”, which tries to reconcile both evolution and creation.

The Bible cannot contradict something about which it does not teach.

The Bible is not a science journal. The purpose of scripture is our salvation. God gave us the Bible so that we might be saved. Everything written in the Bible for the sake of salvation is without error.

The Bible was not written for the sake of scientific accuracy and so the Bible does not address evolution as a scientific theory or scientific fact. The Church herself does not teach that evolution is either correct nor incorrect. The Bible or the Church cannot contradict something about which it does not teach.

You can believe in evolution or not believe in evolution, but the Bible is without error in regards to our salvation.

-Tim-

The Bible cannot contradict something about which it does not teach.

The Bible is not a science journal. The purpose of scripture is our salvation. God gave us the Bible so that we might be saved. Everything written in the Bible for the sake of salvation is without error.

The Bible was not written for the sake of scientific accuracy and so the Bible does not address evolution as a scientific theory or scientific fact. The Church herself does not teach that evolution is either correct nor incorrect. The Bible or the Church cannot contradict something about which it does not teach.

You can believe in evolution or not believe in evolution, but the Bible is without error in regards to our salvation.

-Tim-

Of course I know that the bible isn’t a science book. I asked specifically whether evolution is compatible with genesis. :slight_smile:
And if the answer is yes it is compatible, then why did so many people through the two milleniums oppose the theory, but now theologians seem to try to reconcile both? I don’t get it…

It is possible to believe both, but obviously not to their fullest extent. For example, many who strictly follow evolution believe that God had no part in it, which obviously couldn’t be the case if you were to reconcile them.

I personally do believe in Theistic Evolution because it makes sense from a scientific perspective and from my understanding of how God works in the world.

I see evolution as God’s “molding” and “sculpting” of creation. I see big parallels between the Genesis story and the current scientific belief of how the universe came into being (in general). God gave us our intellect to seek Him. I see science as a way to seek Him through His creation. We trust other areas of science with medicine, agriculture, and more. I see no reason why we couldn’t trust those who examine how the universe might have began.

In general, God could have done it either way, because He is all powerful, and it doesn’t necessarily matter how He did it, because either way, He is our creator and He made us in His image, and that is what matters.

It is possible to believe both, but obviously not to their fullest extent. For example, many who strictly follow evolution believe that God had no part in it, which obviously couldn’t be the case if you were to reconcile them.

Good point. :slight_smile: Without going into science itself, I just want to point out that some fossils were indeed found by scientists (long ago) which resembled human shapes and stuff like that. So we definately know that to some extent it is true (even if to a small degree). And the question is obviously how is it possible to reconcile these new findings with the biblical creation of man?

Here you are making Genesis do more than it is supposed to do.
Is the point of Genesis that man was made from dust? No. Is the
point that there was a global flood? No. Is the point that the Earth
is only 6,000 years old? No. Don’t make Genesis to work like a
100% literal history.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/evidence-challenging-darwin-could-be-valid-explains-catholic-scholar/

Commenting on recent evidence that Darwin’s theories on competition driving the survival of species may be wrong, one Catholic expert explained that the new information “could be valid.” In an interview with CNA, Jesuit priest and scholar Fr. Robert Spitzer, also weighed in on the subject of evolution and its compatibility with Catholic theology.

“The biblical author’s purpose is not to write science at all,” Fr. Spitzer emphasized, especially given that “obviously science has not even been developed yet.”

“So, can science and the Bible be reconciled?” he asked. “Of course – the Bible is doing something theological and science is doing science.”

Fr. Spitzer then cited two major encyclicals from Pius XII – “Divino Afflante Spiritu” and “Humane generis” – clarifying that “Catholics can believe in evolution.”

“The only real limitation is that we do not believe that the human soul came from an evolutionary process,” he added, “because evolutionary processes are material, they’re bodily.”

“Even though human embodiment may have evolved over a varied period of time – and it could have evolved even from subordinate species – the human soul is a special creation of God - it transcends the material order.”

Evolution is a banned topic. The Church has said plenty.

Peace,
Ed

We have been in an extended period of Non-evolution (evolution happening at a steady rate * takes breaks of several thousand years and then just snaps-to at a rate that is truly amazing, if not impossible).*

Evolution is a banned topic.

I don’t recall the rules in the forum saying that “discussing evolution is banned”. Of course if i’m wrong, please point out to me where the rule is explained ( e.g. either by link or copy-paste).

Concerning your statements about Genesis, can you point me to any Church document that supports your statements? Although the Bible contains various literary forms, all interpretations start with the literal.

Peace,
Ed

Concerning your statements about Genesis, can you point me to any Church document that supports your statements? Although the Bible contains various literary forms, all interpretations start with the literal.

Good point Ed, that’s exactly what I was wondering. I mean, I think it was St. Catherine of Sienna (although I’m not sure whether it was precisely her) that has seen a vision of hell, heaven, and purgatory. And in heaven, she was supposed to have seen Adam and Eve. So this fact could essentially point to a literal existence of the first biblical man, just like you explained. But then if this literal version is true, what about the evidence from fossil fuels hinting to evolution… hmmm…

I agree.

Homo sapiens did not descend from neanderthals!:eek:

Whoever said so is wrong.:stuck_out_tongue:

I do however believe in both evolution AND Genesis.

Well, I’m sure you’ve read then Cardinal Ratzinger on this.

And Dei Verbum of course,

Sticky: Temporary Ban on Evolution/Atheism Threads

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.