Evolutionary psychology vs. Original sin

[quote=oriel36]Sir

The Theologia and its historical influence emerges from a pivotal era in Christian history and with only a little effort,you can see why a split occured amid ideological differences that were heavily political but have little to do with the Spiritual message of that great work.The fact that you saw a political ideological message in the excerpt from the Theologia demonstrates that you missed the Spiritual point of that message .

Like all great Christian works of its kind,the Theologia is extremely balanced to the point of being exquisite and particularly in its ability to cut through the ‘sin’ jargon and present what it is that fell in Adam and rose in Christ in terms which are easy to comprehend and closer to the human condition.

passtheword.org/DIALOGS-FROM-THE-PAST/theogrm1.htm
[/quote]

:whacky: closer to the human condition than the scriptures? alrighty then :whacky:

0 Likes

[quote=Tom of Assisi]I never said you “denied” evolution…I know that would be a big mistake on these forums–similar to calling you an idiot. I am pointing out that evolutionary psychology demonstrates that everything about us is evolved. That was what I was explaining to you. Evolutionary psychology also posits the idea that our choices in life are the result of our instincts. Current evolutionary theory holds that humans actually have more instincts (and more complex ones) than lower animals–we do not have a lack of them.

I know from reading other threads on the topic of evolution that educated people hold to their evolutionary beliefs very dearly, so the purpose of this thread is to ask how closely they adhere to evolutionary theory and specifically where they diverge from the typical evolutionary view and insert their theistic beliefs.

I know most posters here accept evolution…but at what point for most of them do they insert God?
[/quote]

Claim something? not even concievable in the state of consciousness Adam lived in. No, what he ran into was someone he loved dearly having an inner dialogue in a place within herself they were told not to go. It is a place that thinks everything is about it. " did God really say you couldn’t eat from any of the trees in the garden?" " No just the tree in the middle of the garden " Eve went there, it seemed to be true this one tree is all the trees. I am everything, reminds me of that actress, well anyway. Remember these two had never experienced anything that was not good and safe to believe. They had no defense once they started comprehending the distortion.

And I disagree that everything evolved, although it looks like it. There is an remarkable metamorphasis that happens in units I believe. But something transcendent is involved for the creation of the next higher unit.That’s why I think scientists who include the possibility of God’s hand in the equation will figure it out.

0 Likes

[quote=Tom of Assisi]:whacky: closer to the human condition than the scriptures? alrighty then :whacky:
[/quote]

Sir

Your signature - " reject sin,turn towards God" would represent little more than a mantra that is common to creationists,fundamentalists and all those who chant well worn slogans just for the sake of it .

Thankfully most Catholics recognise ‘sin’ through the experience of remorse which accompanies all wrongdoing, in which case, your slogan above is devoid of any real meaning.

I accept remorse as a human condition,I also accept the outlet for expressing that remorse in confessional as part of Christian tradition so I could not apply your slogan practically within Catholic living no matter how many times I hear it from the evangelicals.

0 Likes

I know that the evolutionists on this forum don’t think everything evolved. But the theories of evolution being taught in the schools do state that everything about us evolves. I guess the Catholics on this forum decide for themselves where** they insert God** into the process. I guess it is different for everybody, and I guess people think it’s cool with Catholic teaching as long as they throw God in there some place.

I didn’t follow the rest of your post, sorry.

0 Likes

[quote=oriel36]Sir

Your signature - " reject sin,turn towards God" would represent little more than a mantra that is common to creationists,fundamentalists and all those who chant well worn slogans just for the sake of it .

Thankfully most Catholics recognise ‘sin’ through the experience of remorse which accompanies all wrongdoing, in which case, your slogan above is devoid of any real meaning.

I accept remorse as a human condition,I also accept the outlet for expressing that remorse in confessional as part of Christian tradition so I could not apply your slogan practically within Catholic living no matter how many times I hear it from the evangelicals.
[/quote]

Sir, I have changed my signature to two quotes I like better. How is rejecting sin not compatable with Catholic teachings? Last year on Ash Wednesday the priest said “reject sin” as he put ashes on my forehead. Was he being unCatholic in his advice? Was “his” “slogan” devoid of any real meaning?

Are you an American–just curious

Peace

0 Likes

[quote=Tom of Assisi]I know that the evolutionists on this forum don’t think everything evolved. But the theories of evolution being taught in the schools do state that everything about us evolves. I guess the Catholics on this forum decide for themselves where** they insert God** into the process. I guess it is different for everybody, and I guess people think it’s cool with Catholic teaching as long as they throw God in there some place.

I didn’t follow the rest of your post, sorry.
[/quote]

understandable, I I often try to frame a mural with a 5x7 picture frame. My apologies.
I was trying to articulate the view that Adam, his being in a state of innocence made him incapable of claiming in the sense that was being posted and written in the Theologia. Satan’s act of sin was a claiming in my view. His person made visible the mystery of God. Lucifer means ‘light bearer’ His personality was such that his purpose is fulfilled in that way. Fact is he still fulfills that purpose it’s just not his chosen purpose. He wanted to claim the light as his own being. Not just make it visible but to be the light as well. That is his chosen purpose. To be the light of the world.

What I objected to was attaching such a high degree of rebellion on Adam’s sin as the claiming of self. Adam and Eve faced the most sublime lie without ever having experienced a lie before. Can you imagine? Never having experienced something not meant to be believed? They had no defense mechanism whatsoever once they touched it. I don’t think you expressed what your objection was in regards to the statement refering to Adam’s sin as a claiming.

I also wanted to make a point of saying that the dialogue between Satan and Eve was an inner dialogue that occured once she looked at the tree.

In review my post was really just a jerk of the knee.

0 Likes

[quote=Tom of Assisi]Sir, I have changed my signature to two quotes I like better. How is rejecting sin not compatable with Catholic teachings? Last year on Ash Wednesday the priest said “reject sin” as he put ashes on my forehead. Was he being unCatholic in his advice? Was “his” “slogan” devoid of any real meaning?

Are you an American–just curious

Peace
[/quote]

Your freshly chosen signature is from Psalms 68 and if you cared to follow it for two sentences you would have found the pre-Christian statement -

Sing to God! Sing praises to his name! Extol him who rides on the clouds: to Yah, his name! Rejoice before him!

Very pre-Christian don’t you think !.

Look,Psalms and the Book Of Job are thrilling pre-Christian renditions of some of the Spiritual states experienced by Christians,the difference being resolved in Jesus and the Christian Way rather than the unbounded and wild swings you get from reading the Psalms or Jobian texts.

Catholics,at least true ones,never put another Catholic in a position where they have to accept or reject positions just to prove a point hence I do not reject the author of Psalms even though I know it is superseded by Christian writings,likewise I accept the practicality of the Lenten ‘reject sin’ for in my Catholic Church it is registers as an affirmation of my faith and not as an accusation or advice of a priest.

Your second signature deserves a posting all of its own and I will certainly post a response in the appropriate forum tomorrow.

Btw,lived in America for 16 years .

0 Likes

closed #28
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.