EWTN: Fr. Larry Richards

Fr. Larry Richards will be a featured guest this Friday, Jan. 15, on EWTN’s The World Over Live hosted by Raymond Arroyo! Tune in at 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, or catch one of the encore showings at 1:00 AM Saturday, 4:00 PM Sunday, or Monday at 10:00 AM, and 11:00 PM. (All times listed are EST.)

And who might Fr. Richards be? I watch the show every Friday.

Thanks Mirror. I've heard him on Relevant Radio.

thereasonforourhope.org/meet_father/index.html

Thanks for the link malachi, that is what I was going to post.

Aicirt, he is one of the most colorful priests I have ever listened to in my life. He is very direct, very passionate, very persuasive, sometimes over the top (which I like) and on fire for Jesus.

He is not afraid to speak the truth. For example, in one of his talks he said that “if you are pro-choice, you are going to hell.” Just an amazing priest.

[quote="Mirror_Mirror, post:4, topic:183096"]
Thanks for the link malachi, that is what I was going to post.

Aicirt, he is one of the most colorful priests I have ever listened to in my life. He is very direct, very passionate, very persuasive, sometimes over the top (which I like) and on fire for Jesus.

He is not afraid to speak the truth. For example, in one of his talks he said that "if you are pro-choice, you are going to hell." Just an amazing priest.

[/quote]

Sounds good to me. Has he said anything about "if you are pro-choice, you are excommunicated" ?

[quote="aicirt, post:5, topic:183096"]
Sounds good to me. Has he said anything about "if you are pro-choice, you are excommunicated" ?

[/quote]

No as I am sure that he will follow the lines that you are still open to God's mercy and forgiveness.

If you go to his website listed above you can download a free mp3 talk "The Truth" when you sign up (for FREE) at the site.

Also, look up his name on You Tube, he has some good things on there as well.

Let me know what you think.

Fr. Larry may not have but the Catechism of the Catholic Church has; "Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. “A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae,” “by the very commission of the offense,” (CCC 2272)

i guess you could be “pro-choice” & not have formally cooperated in an abortion, just informally. Too close for comfort in my book!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Father Larry rocks!

Get his CD on Confession from catholicity.com

Hopefully, the Fr. Richards' interview will be on next Friday and we can discuss it then.

[quote="aicirt, post:9, topic:183096"]
Hopefully, the Fr. Richards' interview will be on next Friday and we can discuss it then.

[/quote]

It was replayed later that evening.

He’s one of the best there is no doubt about it!

I went to him for Confession several years ago, and I still recall the experience. He truly wants you to take full advantage of the wonder of the sacrament and gets so fully engaged with you that you will come away with an a feeling like “That’s the way it should be done!”

God bless

Tony

I have had the privilage of talking with him and going to confession to him as well. While it seemed like I was a touch rushed (it was at a mission so there were a lot of people going), I think that the fact that he had gone through a full examination beforehand made me open up when I was in the confessional.

He truly is a gift to the Catholic church and I admire him for all that he does for Christ. We are truly blessed.

[LIST]
*]

*]

[/LIST]
Fr. Richards is a truly “Catholic” (in the true sense of the word) inspiritational speaker who speaks with a sense of authority. Fr. Richards claims that if you hear him speak, your life will be changed forever and personally speaking, I will tell you that that claim is true. He came to speak at our church a few years ago and the place was packed. Not only were all of the seats filled but all of the isles were filled and looked like people were going up to communion but they were standing there listening to Fr. Larry speak. He had grown men in tears.

If you have the opportuinity to hear Fr. Richards speak, I would highly recommend that you go out of your way to do so.

A lot of his homilies are available for purchase. I’m presently reading [his latest book “Be A Man”

http://www.thereasonforourhope.org/images/shopping_cart/BAM-P.jpg](“http://www.thereasonforourhope.org/online_order/cart_detail.php?productID=112”)

Could not agree more and I am in the middle of his book as well.

I have most of his talks, have read a lot of his homilies and even have his mission on VHS. :thumbsup:

Though he may seem like charismatic person, from listening to him I have to say he is a modernist not only that but may in fact hold some views that may be heretical.

Such as views that may contradict an essential dogma such as salvation outside the Church.

Also his treatment of the Sanctuary during Mass I have seen enough to be troubled.

I would be careful.

Please explain first how he is a modernist and second what view he has that “may be heretical.”

Examples please

What is his treatment of the Sanctuary?

I have formed opinions on Fr. Richards two ways, I have listened to his recorded conferences to youth and I have watched him on you tube give homilies.

From listening to him on Catholic radio there were a couple of things that he said that immediately drew red lights for me and that was when he told the story of one of his friends or somebody that he knew who had been a protestant and had converted to Catholicism. He had been reading the, as he called it, "old teaching" of the Church and came across the reference such as "there is no salvation outside the Church" he (Fr Richards) ridiculed the notion once again addressing it as "old teaching" comparing it to how people used to travel by horse and now they do so in cars, In other words he challenged the uniqueness of the Church and called this person a fundamentalist comparing him to Evangelical thought.

After listening to him I decided to find out more about him so I went to youtube and saw him give homilies and messages in a Church, I noticed that the part of the Sanctuary had close to the tabernacle cut off colored hands that seem to make a trail all the way to the Tabernacle. Now I have seen him in two videos on different occasions.

I am still deciding weather or not he is worth listening to, I know he has a cd about the Mass in which he explains it, I would like to hear it and I think that would be deciding factor on weather or not he is heretical or not.

Please link the youtube videos, I would be interested to see them. I think that you are going out on a limb calling Fr. Larry “heretical” (or thinking that he could be) as you have a small sample size to make this accusation. I suggest you do further research. I have listened to most of his talks, been to his missions, been to a men’s conference, met him personally, read homilies, and read his book and fail to see how you could view him as heretical.

Fair enough, I will continue to listen to more of his material.

[quote="Annuit_Coeptis, post:19, topic:183096"]
Fair enough, I will continue to listen to more of his material.

[/quote]

Please do, and if you find something, I would be interested to hear about it. Please be sure to provide documentation, there is plenty of it out there for Fr. Larry.

May God continue to bless Fr. Larry and his mission.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.