EWTN Mourns Passing of Deacon Bill Steltemeier

Irondale, AL (EWTN) – Deacon Bill Steltemeier, 83, who was known to millions of television viewers around the world as the longtime associate of EWTN Foundress Mother Angelica, died peacefully early this morning, Feb. 15, at his home in Hanceville, Alabama following a lengthy illness.

“Other than Mother Angelica herself, there is no one who has been more closely associated with the mission of EWTN throughout its history than Deacon Bill Steltemeier,” said EWTN President & Chief Executive Officer Michael P. Warsaw…

ewtn.com/wings/2013/other/2013_deacon.html

Eternal rest grant unto him Oh Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed
Rest in peace…Amen

Peace
James

Prayers to Heaven over this.

Great man.

I always enjoyed hearing what he had to say. I particularly remembering a homily of his right after the supreme court of California demanded that Catholic Charities cover contraception in their insurance policies. He warned about how evil society had become. It was one of the most powerful homilies I had ever heard. He made note of how fervently Esther prayed when the court official ordered that her people be killed, and that our troubled times were a call for us to pray in the same way. He truly was a prophetic voice for our times. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Deacon Bill now lives in Heaven, our eternal home. Thanks be to God for his ministry while here with us. May his wife and family be comforted by Our Lady, whom he loved so much.

For those who don’t know, when Mother Angelica first got EWTN on cable TV (which should have been impossible with the resources available to them), Bill was the guy she sent to the sticky meetings, negotiations and regulatory bureacrats to handle the worldly impossible stuff while she and the sisters backed him up with prayer and fasting. Raymond Arroyo’s bio of M.A. really tells the great story that it is.

God bless him and receive him mercifully…

May he rest in peace. Wonderful man he was.

Deacon Bill passed away one week after another one of his brother Deacons here in Nashville; Deacon Ken Steinbrecher. They were ordained together in the first Deaconate class in the Nashville Diocese. Deacon Steinbrecher passed away on February 7. Praise the Lord for these wonderful servants!

A true Catholic gentleman.

Requiscat in pacem.

I am very greatful to have had the chance to hear a few of Deacon Bill’s Homily’s. He trully was a Blessing! Deacon Bill was one of many who brought me back on making my Journey Home. His passing came as a shock to me since I had no idea until today. Deacon Bill was truely and Dynamic Catholic. My prayers go out to Deacon Bill’s Family and EWTN for he will be missed.

I’m glad that he did so much for so many people and had the impact that he did.

I am grateful for what God did through him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.