EWTN nuns

I was watching EWTN today and noticed about 9 nuns singing during the Benediction. It does seem like they went from busting at the seams to very few nuns. I realize that they all aren't shown all the time, but it made me a little sad to see the lesser numbers. Has anyone else noticed that? Originally the "desert nuns" whom I love to follow and the "Texas Nuns" broke off to start new orders because they had so many nuns Mother Angelica said. I don't hear much about the nuns in Texas, but the ones in Arizona are coming along very well.

I hadn't thought about the amount of nuns until someone recently pointed out the growing numbers in teaching orders and the younger nuns in groups like Sisters for Life, etc. The priest was so happily surprised at the sheer numbers of young women at least discerning a vocation in these orders. It gave him hope. Even though he was on EWTN, he didn't mention their nuns as they had in the past.

I pray for vocations always but I was just taken back at seeing so many less women and I hope things are well there.

[quote="debraran, post:1, topic:315363"]
I was watching EWTN today and noticed about 9 nuns singing during the Benediction. It does seem like they went from busting at the seams to very few nuns. I realize that they all aren't shown all the time, but it made me a little sad to see the lesser numbers. Has anyone else noticed that? Originally the "desert nuns" whom I love to follow and the "Texas Nuns" broke off to start new orders because they had so many nuns Mother Angelica said. I don't hear much about the nuns in Texas, but the ones in Arizona are coming along very well.

I hadn't thought about the amount of nuns until someone recently pointed out the growing numbers in teaching orders and the younger nuns in groups like Sisters for Life, etc. The priest was so happily surprised at the sheer numbers of young women at least discerning a vocation in these orders. It gave him hope. Even though he was on EWTN, he didn't mention their nuns as they had in the past.

I pray for vocations always but I was just taken back at seeing so many less women and I hope things are well there.

[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure how all this transpired, but a Benedictine was put in place as abbess; a Poor Clare Colettine in place as Novice Mistress; a new community emerged from some members; all OLAM nuns were given the choice of leaving; some vocations were called into question due to Mother Angelica's fame; and now you see what's left.

I would be afraid of getting into further speculation. I simply don't have the facts.

The former superior, who is now superior of her own community, had been using the Divine Will writings of Louisa Piccareta. Two books are approved by the church, and the rest is still being scrutinized by Rome. When such happens, and it is not part of the rule, dissension such as what we're witnessing can arise.

The church apparently offered those who wished to adhere to the Divine Will writings the opportunity to promote it as their own charism, which is fine.

The Refuge sisters in Arkansas, who had been the only Refuge sisters wearing the habit and semi-cloistered, got involved in an unapproved devotion, and ended up getting excommunicated. The Blessed Sacrament was removed from the premises. I don't know what their status is at the moment.

Both situations are cautionary tales.

HTH

Blessings,
Cloisters

That's sad, I didn't see any updates on the site but I might have missed it.
I understand the vocations because of Mother Angelica worry, but true vocations wouldn't last because of that. The life is too hard without grace and God's will. Having more young women come to discern because of her though, at the time, well yes. The priests didn't get the same attention though.

I wonder where they other nuns went? I must be hard with all the change.

Thanks for the update. I pray for them.

Well some of the sisters came to San Antonio and have a monastery here. It's had to say what happend there. A few sisters may have left to start the Benedictines of the Divine Will.
The order Mother Angelica belongs to did or does have I think another convent or two in the US ,so some of the sisters could have gone there or also gone to Arizona.
In regards to the Refuge Sisters in Hot Springs Arkansas,I have no idea what happend to any of them who were faithful to the church.Kind of made me sad at the time for personal reasons.
Why,because my relatives there had I guess supported the sisters.My great grandparents moved to Hot Springs from Milwaukee in 1911.I'm not really sure of all the details but they did know the sisters.All my relatives there have passed away and if alive would be very sad to hear what happend.

The Refuge sisters got mixed up with the lady in Canada who thought she was the Blessed Mother reincarnated. Since they would not recant the heresy they were adhering to, they had to take excommunication. First time in the history of the Diocese of Little Rock that someone had been excommunicated.

arkansas-catholic.org/news/articles/1006/

I think that's the correct link. It's readily available on google. This happened back in 2006.

With OLAM, I believe the church gave all the nuns the opportunity to take exclaustration. Some took an extended vacation, others left altogether. There had been something like three new foundations made from OLAM--Phoenix, San Antonio, and the third escapes me. The foundation in Charlotte was the moving of an entire community from one place to the other. They had originally been one of two or three PCPA monasteries in Ohio.

Blessings,
Cloisters

I heard about Ohio, then Alabama, then Arizona and Texas and I think France.

For whatever reason, I will never see it, I give to the Desert Nuns. I got excited watching the monastery and church slowly build. I bought a "brick" in memory of my Dad, but mostly can only give small checks a few times a year. They have a couple discerning, one left her first year, but I think they will be okay once they get more room.

They said at the time, when the 2 groups left, they were crowded and they wanted to expand to new areas. It was a little tough in the beginning, one went back, another came over, but exciting also. The Texas nuns didn't have a very active web site, but now it is betterl. They are 4 now, not 5. I enjoyed reading one sisters blog on Lent and Mother Angelica's wise words to her.
blog.texasnuns.com/

www.desertnuns.com

phatmass.com/phorum/topic/125538-our-lady-of-the-angels-monastery/

Thank you for that, a lot of info, but it helped. I do wonder how someone adjusts after 15 years to secular life but it has been done. Easier if you were a nun that dealt with the public

Some people have to be reminded that nuns have a long discernment, years. I also was surprised, (a little) when a "desert nun" left after her first profession, hair cutting, etc. Why not before? But she did say in an initial interview when she came, she was torn between being a nun or a mother. I'm sure many are tested and it's not for them.

I don't think Mother Angelica made nuns stay, they weren't with her all the time, and she was tough, but I do believe her love of Jesus and her mission, attracted them.

When she was ill, I saw a slow decline in vocations and one nun cried on an EWTN special, that she missed M.Angelica and her old personality, not the sweet, quiet one that took the place. I'm sure she was glue for many and I know it hurts to see priests and nuns leave.
That said, she did tell Raymond Arroyo nothing stays the same, she knew her monastery would go through changes and EWTN. I thought it seemed oddly "glass half empty" but also realistic.

I hope they all find their true vocation and have God's support and grace always.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.