Ex/Anti-Catholic hatred

Someone had a link for an Ex/Anti Catholic website that was pretty horrible but it got me wondering why some ex-Catholics are so hateful towards the Church (especially the ones that become fundamentalists). I think I may have part of the answer.

The Catholic Church expects alot from it’s followers but doesn’t necessarily guarantee salvation (no once saved always saved) so it may seem hard and to some people like a futile chore.

The Fundamentalist Church doesn’t expect alot and guarantees salvation (once saved always saved). You say a prayer once and all is forgiven and you get an immediate ticket to heaven whether you were once a murderer or rapist etc. There is no working out your salvation with fear and trembling!

So when someone tells a disgruntled Catholic that they’ve been wasting their time going to Mass and confession etc for years I’m sure the disgruntled feel even angrier towards the church. This other church is fun, happy and clappy and everyone knows they are saved!! Then they show them some out of context verses that “prove” the error of Catholicism and wham! another anti-Catholic is born!

I know many of you say that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, but is this really Christian? Because it seems rather insidious and evil to me to teach people to hate and damn their fellow Christians.

Good post with good points.

I also have wondered about how God views our “seperated brethern”. On one hand they do proclaim Jesus and sometimes their sermons are very effective (the reality of hell, trust in God…).

On the other hand they all refuse to believe in the real presence and some are very anti-Catholic as you say.

From reading some of the Early Church Fathers on this web site it seems that most are going to have a really tough time at the pearly gates.

i think another reason there is so much … anger and hatred…
shown by ex-Catholics, is that they are constantly having
to justify to themselves, why they left the true Church…

i going to assume they are mostly thoughtful, caring,
believers… and they know someday they are going to be
judged, and one of the things is gonna be… why they left
the church… and they are gonna have to have reasons…
so they think up as many as they can, and present
them with ‘justifying passion’…

least, that’s the way it seems to me a lot of the time…

:slight_smile:

[quote=chrisg93]Good post with good points.

I also have wondered about how God views our “seperated brethern”. On one hand they do proclaim Jesus and sometimes their sermons are very effective (the reality of hell, trust in God…).

On the other hand they all refuse to believe in the real presence and some are very anti-Catholic as you say.

From reading some of the Early Church Fathers on this web site it seems that most are going to have a really tough time at the pearly gates.
[/quote]

and actually, i suspect a lot of them, won’t have as tough a time
as some of us, who have been entrusted with the ‘whole truth’…
remember, God will expect much more of us, than of those
who have never shared in the complete truth of the church…

i just hope He lets me in the show… i don’t care what row
i’m on… lol

:slight_smile:

[quote=Ryniev]Someone had a link for an Ex/Anti Catholic website that was pretty horrible but it got me wondering why some ex-Catholics are so hateful towards the Church (especially the ones that become fundamentalists). I think I may have part of the answer.

The Catholic Church expects alot from it’s followers but doesn’t necessarily guarantee salvation (no once saved always saved) so it may seem hard and to some people like a futile chore.

The Fundamentalist Church doesn’t expect alot and guarantees salvation (once saved always saved). You say a prayer once and all is forgiven and you get an immediate ticket to heaven whether you were once a murderer or rapist etc. There is no working out your salvation with fear and trembling!

So when someone tells a disgruntled Catholic that they’ve been wasting their time going to Mass and confession etc for years I’m sure the disgruntled feel even angrier towards the church. This other church is fun, happy and clappy and everyone knows they are saved!! Then they show them some out of context verses that “prove” the error of Catholicism and wham! another anti-Catholic is born!

I know many of you say that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, but is this really Christian? Because it seems rather insidious and evil to me to teach people to hate and damn their fellow Christians.
[/quote]

Those people are only Christian because they have been baptized, but that is as far as it goes. Christianity fosters love for God and for your neighbor. Christianity is just a concept to these types of people.

Their contradicting themselves with their own words. First they preach “Once Saved Always Saved” then they preach their hate against the Catholic Church and say Catholics are damned to hell. It’s a self contradictory arguement.

Their are a lot of good protestants, but they tend not to be ex-Catholics. Maybe the ones that have left The Church feel a little guilt for leaving and feel that if they can destroy what they left maybe they can get over their guilt. They feel that if they can convince other Catholics that the Church is evil then they may get over their guilt. That’s just a theory though.

I think you have made some very good points. We do expect a lot of people. We do not guarantee a ‘good time’ at Mass, we expect people to participate in the liturgy and be a part of the magnificent mystery that is taking place.

I have another opinion too. I think a lot of people my age (I’ll be 50 in December) suffer a great deal from emotional immaturity. We are, in laymen’s term, spoiled brats. The idea that we cannot do certain things just bugs us … we cannot just divorce and remarry at every whim, we cannot just artificially use birth control, women cannot be priests - in other words, we see the Catholic Church as a whole bunch of “NO” rather than what it truly is - the TRUTH. So some other group comes along and starts telling us HALF truths, plus basically says that we CAN do things and suddenly the Church is the evil whore of Babylon.

I also think a lot of my age group thinks that having to admit that anything we were taught a children might be right is just too much.

When I started my return to sanity, it was inevitable that I face the fact that I knew all along that the Truth was right where it had always been…

[quote=jimmy]Their contradicting themselves with their own words. First they preach “Once Saved Always Saved” then they preach their hate against the Catholic Church and say Catholics are damned to hell. It’s a self contradictory arguement.
[/quote]

This is great! I can’t wait to use this the next time I’m confronted by someone who’s trying to “save” me! I’ll just ask them what the prayer is to “be saved”, say it and then add… “Great, now I can go to my CATHOLIC church and you don’t have to worry one little bit about my soul… because once saved, always saved… right?!”

Please don’t misunderstand. I believe that all prayers are heard and I would never willingly mock Christ or His awesome power to save anyone He wants. I would just love to see the look on their face when they are reminded that they are, in fact, speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

[quote=AnnettefromTX]This is great! I can’t wait to use this the next time I’m confronted by someone who’s trying to “save” me! I’ll just ask them what the prayer is to “be saved”, say it and then add… “Great, now I can go to my CATHOLIC church and you don’t have to worry one little bit about my soul… because once saved, always saved… right?!”

[/quote]

At the risk of bringing up a lot of repeat discussions, some would respond by saying if you were REALLY saved you wouldn’t join the Catholic Church…so you must not have fully surrendered when you said the sinner’s prayer. At least that’s an explanation I’ve heard.

[quote=Elzee]At the risk of bringing up a lot of repeat discussions, some would respond by saying if you were REALLY saved you wouldn’t join the Catholic Church…so you must not have fully surrendered when you said the sinner’s prayer. At least that’s an explanation I’ve heard.
[/quote]

Interesting how there are so many exceptions and out clauses to Once Saved ALWAYS Saved. It reminds me of those commercials where they say things like:

*Offer may vary and price does not include licensing, title, taxes or other fees. May cause headache, vomiting, diarhea, oily stools, weight loss, weight gain or death. Offer not valid in New Jersey, Montana and Idaho. See your local dealer and/or doctor for more details. *

[quote=Elzee]At the risk of bringing up a lot of repeat discussions, some would respond by saying if you were REALLY saved you wouldn’t join the Catholic Church…so you must not have fully surrendered when you said the sinner’s prayer. At least that’s an explanation I’ve heard.
[/quote]

The contradiction is even worse when you consider that they teach faith alone saves. Since faith alone saves, then it does not matter whether I am Catholic, therefore I am doing very good being in the Catholic Church because I have faith.

I wanted to mention this in the above post but forgot.

I’ve noticed that people who convert to Catholicism usually have done a lot of research of history and Scripture (plus, they go through RCIA). They usually know the faith better than us cradle Catholics! They also usually see protestantism as a kind of their stepping stone to the Truth.

On the other hand, people who convert from Catholicism usually have tons of misconceptions or just flat out ignorance concerning the faith. They see the Church as something that has hurt them, not as a stepping stone to the Truth. :frowning:

[quote=LSK]I think you have made some very good points. We do expect a lot of people. We do not guarantee a ‘good time’ at Mass, we expect people to participate in the liturgy and be a part of the magnificent mystery that is taking place.

I have another opinion too. I think a lot of people my age (I’ll be 50 in December) suffer a great deal from emotional immaturity. We are, in laymen’s term, spoiled brats. The idea that we cannot do certain things just bugs us … we cannot just divorce and remarry at every whim, we cannot just artificially use birth control, women cannot be priests - in other words, we see the Catholic Church as a whole bunch of “NO” rather than what it truly is - the TRUTH. So some other group comes along and starts telling us HALF truths, plus basically says that we CAN do things and suddenly the Church is the evil whore of Babylon.

I also think a lot of my age group thinks that having to admit that anything we were taught a children might be right is just too much.

When I started my return to sanity, it was inevitable that I face the fact that I knew all along that the Truth was right where it had always been…
[/quote]

Leslie,

I think your post pretty much summed up the baby boomer generation and the situation of the Catholic Church in America. The baby boomers I think had it pretty easy when the post-WWII economy in America was doing great and we were reaping the benefits of fighting AH and rebuilding Europe. I’m 20 years old (21 in January), and I think a lot of the baby boomers are trying to shift the church into what they want it to be and not the other way around. Great post Leslie. Blessed (I think?) Paul VI’s near-prophetic words in Humane Vitae pretty much sums up the situation that we’re in right now.

God bless!

originally posted by LSK
I have another opinion too. I think a lot of people my age (I’ll be 50 in December) suffer a great deal from emotional immaturity. We are, in laymen’s term, spoiled brats. The idea that we cannot do certain things just bugs us …

I second your opinion, with zest! Being a baby boomer myself, I know that our age group has a real problem with authority of any kind. (the 1960’s)
The worst ex/anti Catholics I’ve known, no matter what excuse or excuses they give for leaving The Church, always boils down to the fact that they didn’t want anyone telling them how to live their lives. They’re going to do what they want to do and that’s that! When they find a kum-by-ya congregation that doesn’t expect anything at all except “a love for Jesus”, by golly they are in!!
Then they can go forward with their self centered lives secure in the knowledge that they’re going to heaven because they “love Jesus”.
:rolleyes:

too many people have departed from the catholic church and other churches due to people. People get hurt by someone in the church and they go shopping or give up. Some decided to have church at home. Satin is at work. Some leave the catholic church because it is to boring and want a more emotional feeling in their hunger for God. We are missing the main Focus. Love God and others and worship him.

I have a sister who has left the church (actually more than one), but this sister has such a bitter attitude toward the Catholic Church. She has had an abortion AND is a Dem. living in CA! I was told about the abortion by another sister so I’m not supposed to know about it. I told the other sister that she needs to confront her but she refuses because she doesn’t want to “make waves” in the family.

I know I need to say something but just don’t know how or where to begin. For now, all I’m doing is praying for her.

I think her bitter and “Ex-Catholic to the max” attitude is a result of guilt.

Any advice?

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.