Ex Cathedra and other

Is it a sin to oppose everything the Pope says except when ex cathedra?
Can the Pope change anything except things said from ex cathedra (theoretically)?

Why do I get the distinct feeling this was posted just to stir up strife here?

It is a sin to deny any article of faith which has been defined by the Catholic church. The councils have issued many beliefs which the faithful must hold to.

The Pope is also bound to these beliefs. If, in theory, he issued an ex cathedra teaching which denied a doctrine of the faith, this would be evidence that he is no longer occupying the Chair of Peter - that it is vacant and no ex cathedra teaching has in fact been made.

I don’t get that feeling. I think it’s an honest question.

I guess I need to have the questions restated as I just do not understand what is being asked.

<< Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
Why do I get the distinct feeling this was posted just to stir up strife here?

Dauphin: I don’t get that feeling. I think it’s an honest question.>>

Read domikus28’s posts elsewhere, and you’ll see why got this impression

Other posting by this person merely confirmed my suspicions.

Yes, it would be. We owe obedience to the legitimate authority of the Church. And, we owe assent to teachings of the ordinary Magesterium.

No. The Deposit of Faith includes those teachings via the Oridnary Magesterium, the Ecumencial Councils of the Church, and any ex cathedra pronouncements of the Pope. He can change any disciplinary items he wishes-- such as he did with the allowance of the Tridentine Mass recently-- but he cannot “change” anything that composes the deposit of faith, doctrine or dogma. He can define and clarify that which has not already been taught as dogma.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.