Ex cathedra doctrine

Is part of today's gospel (Matthew 16:19) where we get the doctrine of ex cathedra? Does this passage also give us all degrees of papal authority? Am I just way off altogether.:confused:

That's usually the first verse to start with. Good job! :-) There are others. Like the end of John (I think) where Peter alone is told multiple times to 'feed My sheep' etc...

[quote="Jerome1974, post:1, topic:335688"]
Is part of today's gospel (Matthew 16:19) where we get the doctrine of ex cathedra? Does this passage also give us all degrees of papal authority? Am I just way off altogether.:confused:

[/quote]

I realize this won't be a popular answer, but the word 'keys' does not give authority more than what keys do. They open and close. Peter opened the kingdom of heaven speaking at Pentecost. As for 'whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven', is talking about church discipline and was given to all the disciples in Matthew 18:18.

One shouldn't confuse the word 'keys' with some sort of blanket authority. That's an attempt to try and read into scripture something that isn't there. Jesus is the head of the/His church and has all authority. Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

There is no mention where Jesus gave up His authority to a human.

Keys are connected to royalty and authority (blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=key%2A&t=KJV )

[quote="cguerber, post:3, topic:335688"]
I realize this won't be a popular answer, but the word 'keys' does not give authority more than what keys do. They open and close. Peter opened the kingdom of heaven speaking at Pentecost. As for 'whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven', is talking about church discipline and was given to all the disciples in Matthew 18:18.

One shouldn't confuse the word 'keys' with some sort of blanket authority. That's an attempt to try and read into scripture something that isn't there. Jesus is the head of the/His church and has all authority. Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

There is no mention where Jesus gave up His authority to a human.

[/quote]

Well, if "There is no mention where Jesus gave up His authority to a human" why are we obliged to follow the 'infallible' teachings of the Pope? And what makes you believe (perhaps your own life experience, must be) that God does not "act" on behalf of those who love Him according to their needs (not spoken, perceived by Him)? If Jesus has all authority over His church, then the binding/releasing of sin in the confessional is a gift He offers, not a right, not an indisputable fact, but rather His mercy in action. We are all disciples, those of us who love Him with our entire beings and try to prepare ourselves for that moment when He will embrace us for our service. Either that, or we are serfs under the leadership of self appointed "lords and masters" in fancy clothing and have been led astray for lo, these 2000+ years to the service of those in authority. Can't have it both ways.

552 Simon Peter holds the first place in the college of the Twelve;283 Jesus entrusted a unique mission to him. Through a revelation from the Father, Peter had confessed: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Our Lord then declared to him: “You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.”284 Christ, the “living stone,”285 thus assures his Church, built on Peter, of victory over the powers of death. Because of the faith he confessed Peter will remain the unshakeable rock of the Church. His mission will be to keep this faith from every lapse and to strengthen his brothers in it.286 (880, 153, 442, 424)

Here is what the CCC has to say about the role of Peter. Papal infallibility does not mean that the Pope (who is the successor of Peter) can make up any old thing and proclaim it to be true infallibly. It means that he will "keep this faith from every lapse and to strengthen his brothers in it."

881 The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the “rock” of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock.400 “The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of apostles united to its head.”401 This pastoral office of Peter and the other apostles belongs to the Church’s very foundation and is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope. (553, 642)

and

891 “The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful—who confirms his brethren in the faith—he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals.... The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with Peter’s successor, they exercise the supreme Magisterium,” above all in an Ecumenical Council.418 When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine “for belief as being divinely revealed,”419 and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions “must be adhered to with the obedience of faith.”420 This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.421

Quotes taken from CCC online usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#

Cguerber #3
the word 'keys' does not give authority more than what keys do. They open and close. Peter opened the kingdom of heaven speaking at Pentecost. As for 'whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven', is talking about church discipline and was given to all the disciples in Matthew 18:18.
One shouldn't confuse the word 'keys' with some sort of blanket authority.

Jesus confirmed changing Peter’s name for His purpose:
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.” ( Mt 16:19)

First to Peter only:
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) (Later to the twelve)

Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

The name change was everything to do with establishing His Church for salvation.

Since Christ’s Church gave us the Bible, She protects His truths through Sacred Scripture, Tradition and His Magisterium.

As Jesus of Nazareth did not write anything and founded His Church on Simon Peter with primacy and infallibility, His followers wrote the New Testament and His Church infallibly declared which writings in both the Old and New Testaments are the inspired Word of God, and no others. These writings are without error.

Protestants lack seven books of the O.T., which is why most fail to believe in Purgatory and prayer for the departed, because they lack the authority of Christ through His Catholic Church.

Jesus was given ALL Power, who gave Jesus all power, I would think it came from the God the Father.

(Mat 28:18) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Then what does Jesus do? He send out the apostles as He was sent by God the Father.

(Joh 20:21) Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

I look like Jesus gave His authority to the apostles, before He went to Heaven.

It looks like the Apostles had authority from Christ, same authority Christ was given by the Father.

If I hear you am I hearing Christ?

(Luk 10:16) He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

(Mat 16:19) And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jesus only gave the keys to Peter, not to all of the apostles as your repsonse suggest.

When Jesus returns, He will take back the keys.

I am not sure what you mean when you say, Peter opened the Kingdom of Heaven?

*Pastor Aeternus *has the dogma of Vatican I on papal infallibility and you can find it at:
ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/V1.HTM#6

Chapter 3.
“On the power and character of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff

9. Therefore, faithfully adhering to the tradition received from the beginning of the Christian faith, to the glory of God our savior, for the exaltation of the Catholic religion and for the salvation of the Christian people, with the approval of the Sacred Council, we teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that when the Roman Pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA, that is, when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church, he possesses, by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his Church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals. Therefore, such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the Church, irreformable.”

From Vatican I (Pastor Aeternus), for infallibility to be exercised the Pope must teach
(a) ex cathedra (from the Chair of Peter), that is as Shepherd and Teacher of all Christians,
(b) speaking with Peter’s apostolic authority to the whole Church,
(c) defining a doctrine of faith and morals.

So the Pope's ‘ex cathedra' definitions may be either of revealed dogma, to be believed with divine faith, or of other truths necessary for guarding and expounding revealed truth. Vatican Council II and the post-conciliar Magisterium have explicitly affirmed that both ecclesial and papal infallibility extend to the secondary doctrinal truths necessary for guarding and expounding revelation. Thus Humanae Vitae (Encyclical) and *Ordinatio Sacerdotalis *(Apostolic Epistle) contain infallible doctrinal definitions, to remove all doubt.

Vatican II (Lumen Gentium, 25) reaffirms this teaching: “The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful -- who confirms his brethren in the faith (cf. Lk 22:32) – he proclaims in an absolute decision a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals.

Christ’s Catholic Church has explained what ex cathedra means re papal authority:
Pope John Paul II’s Apostolic Letter Ad Tuendam Fidem, 1998, Vatican I and Vatican II and the CCC.

The three levels of teaching are:
1) Dogma – infallible (Canon #750.1) to be believed with the assent of divine and Catholic faith.
2) Doctrine – infallible (Canon #750.2) requires the assent of ecclesial faith, to be "firmly embraced and held".

3) Doctrine – non-definitive (non-infallible) and require intellectual assent ("loyal submission of the will and intellect", Vatican II, Lumen Gentium 25), not an assent of faith. [See the Explanatory Note on ATF by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith]
ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFADTU.HTM

[quote="Jerome1974, post:1, topic:335688"]

[/quote]

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 19. And I will give to thee the keys, &c. This is another metaphor, expressing the supreme power and prerogative of the prince of the apostles. The keys of a city, or of its gates, are presented or given to the person that hath the chief power. We also own a power of the keys, given to the other apostles, but with a subordination to St. Peter and to his successor, as head of the Catholic Church. --- And whatsoever thou shalt bind, &c. All the apostles, and their successors, partake also of this power of binding and loosing, but with a due subordination to one head invested with the supreme power. (Witham) --- Loose on earth. The loosing the bands of temporal punishments due to sins, is called an indulgence: the power of which is here granted. (Challoner) --- Although Peter and his successors are mortal, they are nevertheless endowed with heavenly power, says St. Chrysostom, nor is the sentence of life and death passed by Peter to be attempted to be reversed, but what he declares is to be considered a divine answer from heaven, and what he decrees, a decree of God himself. He that heareth you, heareth me, &c. The power of binding is exercised, 1st. by refusing to absolve; 2nd. by enjoining penance for sins forgiven; 3nd. by excommunication, suspension or interdict; 4th. by making rules and laws for the government of the Church; 5th. by determining what is of faith by the judgments and definitions of the Church. (Tirinus) --- The terms binding and loosing, are equivalent to opening and shutting, because formerly the Jews opened the fastenings of their doors by untying it, and they shut or secured their doors by tying or binding it. (Bible de Vence) --- Dr. Whitby, a learned Protestant divine, thus expounds this and the preceding verse: "As a suitable return to thy confession, I say also to thee, that thou art by name Peter, i.e. a rock; and upon thee, who art this rock, I will build my Church, and I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven, the power of making laws to govern my Church." (Tom. i, p. 143.) Dr. Hammond, another Protestant divine, explains it in the same manner. And p. 92, he says: " What is here meant by the keys, is best understand by Isaias xxii. 22, where they signify ruling the whole family or house of the king: and this being by Christ accommodated to the Church, denotes the power of governing it."

Our Lord didn't abdicate his authority to Peter. The Pope is the Vicar of Christ; he is not Christ. The Pope, however, is given the charge by Christ to exercise authority in Christ's name for the good of the Church. See the parable Our Lord tells St. Peter in Luke 12:41-48. In the parable, the master of the household goes on a journey and places one servant in charge of his other servants (he also says what will happen if he executes his duties well or not). The master did not abandon his household leaving one servant to be the new master--the master is still the master, but the chief servant is in charge of his household until he returns.

Christ is the master and the Pope is the chief servant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.