Ex-Guantanamo Detainee Appears to Join Al Qaeda in Yemen

Ex-Guantanamo Detainee Appears to Join Al Qaeda in Yemen

freebeacon.com/national-security/ex-guantanamo-detainee-appears-to-join-al-qaeda-in-yemen/

December 10, 2015 10:56 am

Ibrahim al-Qosi, a former Guantanamo Bay detainee and cook for Osama bin Laden, appears to have joined the al Qaeda branch in Yemen.

The Long War Journal first reported that al-Qosi, one of the first detainees at the military prison in Cuba, appears as one of the senior leaders of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in a video released by the terror group this week.

Al-Qosi was transferred to his native country of Sudan in July 2012 after striking at deal with U.S. military prosecutors and pleading guilty to conspiracy and providing material support to a terrorist. His 14-year sentence was shortened, and he left the detention facility after a decade of imprisonment.

The al Qaeda operative reportedly joined AQAP last year and became one of its leaders. In the video released by the group called “Guardians of Sharia,” al-Qosi encourages acts of “individual jihad” against the United States and other western nations.

:bigyikes::banghead::bigyikes:

When a common citizen aids or abets a criminal … be it deliberately or accidentally, under duress or in a fit of fanciful cluelessness … they sometimes are indicted and forced to go to trial for their freedom (charged as an accessory to the crime(s) ).

That probably won’t happen to the Chief Executive despite his rather openly advocating the policy that set al-Qosi free. As official scorer I am preparing to give Obama an “assist” in any of the “individual jihad” casualties that result from this breathtaking IMO mistake (al-Qosi’s release from Guantanamo).

It’s a President’s job to keep American citizens safe as Commander in Chief.

Too much of his power has been concentrating on battling the Little Sisters of the Poor … and not enough on keeping “al-Quaeda leaders” out of commission IMO.

And who is surprised?

I thought he’d join the Peace Corps. :rolleyes:

Jon

Ibrahim al Qosi is a case of time served. 10 years held captive and tortured by the United States with no legitimate trial and never having been accused of anything but cooking, driving, and bookkeeping. Then a few more years in a Sudanese prison before being released. So Al Qaeda may have found themselves a new chauffeur. Big deal. He just better hope he’s not driving anyone important around. Drone strikes are an occupational hazard.

Maybe even Doctors Without Borders, or convert to Christianity:confused:

LOL!

:tiphat: You started off a little wobbly (IMO) … but you rallied in the ninth inning with those last two sentences Emp! :wink:

In addition to taxis al Qosi now appears to be (or trying to be) driving al Qaeda’s propaganda bandwagon now. This from the Miami Herald. This story has legs.

Freed Guantánamo convict returns to the fight

miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/guantanamo/article49022855.html

Qosi, now 55, arrived at the detention center on Jan. 13, 2002, according to documents obtained by McClatchy Newspapers from the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks. He pleaded guilty to foot soldier war crimes in 2010 in exchange for release in 2012.

Qosi’s former U.S. attorney, Paul Reichler, told the Miami Herald on Wednesday that he had not been in touch with the Sudanese man since Qosi left the U.S. Navy base prison for Sudan in July 2012.

“I was told by a Sudanese lawyer a year ago that al Qosi was working as a taxi driver in Khartoum,” Reichler said by email. “I have received no information about his activities since then, and I do not know what he has been doing, or where he is living.”

At the time of Qosi’s return to Sudan, Reichler said he looked forward to being reunited with his wife and family, including two daughters, “and live among them in peace, quiet and freedom.” His wife at the time was the daughter of a former chief bodyguard to bin Laden.

On the AQAP tape, Qosi opines in Arabic on the evolving globalization of jihad. His comments were translated for the Herald by a journalist who is fluent in Arabic.

[quote]
[size=]***“As the U.S. has waged war on us remotely as a solution to minimize its casualties, we have fought it remotely, as well by individual jihad,” he is heard saying.

“And as the U.S. has killed our men, we have killed its people. But it is not the same. Our dead are in heaven and theirs are in the hellfire, and the war is not over yet.”

– Ibrahim al Qosi***

[/size]

Read more here: miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/guantanamo/article49022855.html#storylink=cpy
[/quote]

:shrug: Would have Obama have done better to release Sirhan Sirhan on a Presidential pardon? Ridiculous as the proposition is … the answer might be a preposterous … yes!

:onpatrol: ***-- " Don’t let 'em kid you chief. I still say closing Gitmo and releasing these guys is a real good call!

Copy is being loaded into the TelePromTer as we speak." :rolleyes: ***

who pays the legal fees for the Gitmo detainees anyway? these lawyers don’t work for free do they?
driving the taxi is his side job. :rolleyes:

Convert to Christianity?:bigyikes:

I need a safe space so I don’t have to here such hate speech.

:smiley:

Jon

Maybe we should have sent him back with a baptismal certificate. Then he would get something worse than prison from his former friends.

Better yet, a cd showing him telling the govt everything about Al Qaeda. That and the previous would… Make him wish he was in Gitmo?

weeklystandard.com/obama-releases-dangerous-jihadists-then-misleads-country-about-it/article/2000221

Obama Releases Dangerous Jihadists - Then Misleads Country About It

11:13 AM, Dec 14, 2015 | By STEPHEN F. HAYES and THOMAS JOSCELYN

President Barack Obama says his administration will continue releasing terrorists from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, so long as those released are less dangerous than the jihadists currently fighting against the U.S. and its interests.

The bizarre argument comes in a new interview with Olivier Knox of Yahoo! News and is one of several comments in their discussion that reinforces the president’s stubborn nonchalance on issues related to jihad.

**Obama dismisses such cases as a “handful” **

Obama also shrugs off concerns about recidivism of former Guantanamo detainees, suggesting that only a “handful” of former detainees have returned to the fight and claiming that only “low-level” terrorists have been released from the detention facility. Both claims are demonstrably false.

In the interview, Knox asked Obama about Ibrahim al Qosi, a Guantanamo detainee transferred by the Obama administration to Sudan in July 2012, who recently resurfaced as a leader of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, often described as the most dangerous al Qaeda branch.

Al Qosi appeared in a propaganda video disseminated by the group last week. Knox asked Obama whether having someone return to the fight “in a big way,” like Qosi, has caused the administration to revisit its vetting procedures.

[quote]“I am absolutely persuaded, as are my top intelligence and military advisers, that Guantanamo is used as a recruitment tool for organizations like ISIS,” Obama began. “And if we want to fight 'em, then we can’t give 'em these kinds of excuses.”

There is no reason that Obama would need to be “persuaded” of something that can be easily demonstrated. Either Guantanamo is a major recruitment tool or it’s not.

Administration officials have been making this claim for years and it’s not true.

Guantanamo rarely appears in jihadist propaganda, whether ISIS or al Qaeda, and reviews of recent propaganda materials from ISIS and al Qaeda – online videos and audio recordings, glossy magazines, etc. – found very few mentions of the facility …

… According to the most recent report on Guantanamo recidivism,

prepared in September 2015 by James Clapper’s office, Obama’s own Director of National Intelligence,

196 former detainees are either confirmed (117) or suspected (79) of returning to the fight.

That’s a recidivism rate of more than 30 percent.

[/quote]

By quick math 117 + 79 = 196. A handful would be 5.

That’d be 39 handfuls by my cursory count.

What might be a handful is the number of people in jail for killing abortionists.

These will not be released any time soon under any rationale IMO.

So no comparable recidivism rate can be given per comparison.

Did Ibrahim al Qosi receive an apology, or compensation for everything he endured?

No. One of the conditions of his plea agreement was essentially to shut him up about it.

Related song o’ the day:

"Pleas please me …"

by Barack Obama and the Gitmo Closers. :whistle:

Torture is barbaric, and you treat it as a joke.

CaptFun responds in RED below

… that pretty much sums up the way I feel every time I hear the news of latest “war on terror” bungle.

If they had any evidence against the man, he would have been promptly put on trial. Ten years of torture and imprisonment does not extract any evidence, there is just the chance the man is innocent.

There was no apology or compensation on his release, so that has to mean no justice. If you mistreat anyone for ten years, they are going to want revenge, if there is no sign of justice.

America has potentially made him into a terrorist, if he retaliates for what was done to him.

Thank heavens the most violent terrorist group in the world, Boko Haram can’t make these hare-brained excuses that we see people put up.

War is different.

Though we seem to have reached different conclusions on the matter, I’m grateful of your advocacy and horror of having an innocent suffer an injustice. It’s a sentiment I agree with … and I’m in favor all mitigating evidence to come out concerning POWs as with our court systems.

One dangerous side effect to releasing enemy combatants while a war is still going on … is that prisoners may cease to be taken by those in the field who have grown wary of an overly liberal release policy. It may not be summary execution formally … but if a soldier is in LESS trouble for dispatching a foe altogether than committing some infraction during the prisoner process … or feels that the prisoner process is against his/her overall safety … battlefield justice … rather than mercy … may be the escalating “choice of preference” < however that may disturb those of us not making those hard choices.

On another front, Qosi’s “recidivism” (if that IS what it was) should be instructive of the pending cases in the pipe.

(Oh, I seem to be substantially less convinced of Qosi’s initial innocence than you seem to be. Now more than ever). THAT case aside, I still think you make some salient points re: the overall situation. So thanks. :tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.