Ex-Marlboro Man dies from smoking-related disease

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/26/ex-marlboro-man-dies/4926469/

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Eric Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72.

Lawson died Jan. 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said Sunday…

“He knew the cigarettes had a hold on him,” she said. “He knew, yet he still couldn’t stop.”

“He knew the cigarettes had a hold on him,” she said. “He knew, yet he still couldn’t stop.” How many of us can relate to this in some part of our lives? We are all ‘addicted’ to something at some part of our life.

I agree, Robert.
Mary.

I understand where he was coming from. May he rest in peace.

May he rest in peace.

That said, I finally quit smoking on December 10 and I am so glad that I quit. I was getting Bronchitis every couple of months. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired so I dropped the cancer stick habit. I will never ever pick up that nasty habit again!

Congratulations! I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you! I appreciate that! :slight_smile:

Same here, Holly.

It’s amazing that there are those who will still state that claims that cigarettes are harmful are either untrue or inflated.

My mother has COPD and will die of smoking related issues- if something else doesn’t take her first.

I think she has quit but I know a few months ago she was smoking even while using an oxygen tack.

I have seen this too,those with COPD!oxygen tanks,still smoking! I really think smoking has to be the most difficult addiction to break.I

It is a very difficult addiction to break. I haven’t smoked since December 10th, 2013 and I still get strong cravings. I smoked for regularly for 11 or 12 years.

Congrats,Holly,prayers for your continued success in beating this addiction.
My SIL,has been trying to quit with the help of Chantix,he has fallen off the wagon,in that he still smokes occasionally. I pray that he can beat this,he and my daughter have a four week old baby,he really wants to quit for his baby’s sake.

Just got done reading the following and thought it would fit in with this thread:

THE DISCIPLE. O Lord my God, You have created me in Your own image and likeness. Grant me this great grace, so necessary to my salvation, that I may conquer the base elements of my nature that drag me down into sin and perdition. Within my being I can feel the power of sin contending against the rule of my mind, leading me away an obedient slave to all kinds of sensuality. I cannot resist its onslaughts, unless Your most holy grace is poured glowing into my heart to help me.
-“The Imitation of Christ,” Book 3, Chapter 55

A lot of hype has been built up around cigarettes over the years as it relates to it’s potential negative affects on health. For example, there’s lots and lots of hype about the fact that cigarette smoke is a carcinogen, but the truth is that it is in the same class of carcinogens as wood shavings, air pollution, and tylenol. Despite the grotesque campaign showing people with tracheotomies and cancer ravaged lungs; the truth is that some people can smoke a quarter of pack a day for two years and wind up with some form of cancer while others can smoke 5 packs a day for 40 years and never have so much as a malignant cell their entire life. At best, the relationship between smoking cigarettes and cancer is incidental and at worst it is but one contributing factor among many. I won’t deny that smoking cigarettes is unhealthy, but there is plenty of room for debate about exactly how unhealthy it really is.

In addition to the risk of cancer,macular degeneration is a high risk,pancreatic cancer has been tied to cigarette smoking.also,gum disease,bad teeth,bad skin,and it is just plain stinky:eek:

“Has been tied” is a very strong statement that I don’t think is really supported by much. Some studies claim to find some sort of relationship between cigarette smoking and the things you’ve mentioned but its never been established as causal and yet other studies have found no relationship at all. These things are more linked to genetic predisposition than anything else I think.

Well, in some people, maybe. But no real causal relationship has been established even in these examples. Its more likely just a combination of factors.

Lung Cancer
Mouth Cancer
Throat Cancer
You smell horrible
You take longer to heal from injuries like sprained or broken bones (an aunt of mine that is ADDICTED to smoking took a LONG time to heal after she hurt her ankle)
COPD
Emphysema
Second Hand Smoke which can irritate the health of your loved ones (especially if they are asthmatics). I am not asthmatic, but after being around said aunt from the above comment, at Easter one year, I woke up the next day or two after with a terrible cold. I can’t stand being around smokers. My own godmother started smoking again after quitting! That really hurt when I found out. :frowning:

Need any more?

Yes, actual evidence of a causal relationship independent of other risk factors.

I’m confused. Is this the second Marlboro Man that has died of cancer? I swear I remember a report of a Marlboro Many dying years ago.

mashable.com/2014/01/27/marlboro-man-dies/

He is at least the third former Marlboro Man actor to die of a smoking-related illness, according to the AP. David Millar died of emphysema in 1987, and David McLean died of lung cancer in 1995.

Yes, Marlboro has other actors working in other media that have died. They are mentionef in the article.

A few actors and models who pitched Marlboro brand cigarettes have died of smoking-related diseases. They include David Millar, who died of emphysema in 1987, and David McLean, who died of lung cancer in 1995.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.