Ex may move kids :nope:

I am trying to figure out what to do. My ex wife, with whom I have two amazing kids has met someone who who lives an hour and a half away from me. She said they would move “in the middle”, but I am terrified of what may happen. I am so close to my kids is terrifies me to think that they may be too far away from me that I may not be their father.

I am a coach to both their baseball/softball teams and am the one my EX calls to watch the kids when she goes out!

I fear that she may move so far that I cannot be the father that God intended me to me. I love my kids! I love being there for them. If she moves away from where I currently live, she will, in most cases, sever the connection I have with my kids!

What should I do?

I have contacted a lawyer and hope to get primary custody of my kids to ensure we continue to have the relationship we have.

Also, she, my ex, is not nearly as involved as I am!

UGH… I don’t know what to do!!

• Cathoversal

[quote="Cathoversal, post:1, topic:239143"]
I am trying to figure out what to do. My ex wife, with whom I have two amazing kids has met someone who who lives an hour and a half away from me. She said they would move "in the middle", but I am terrified of what may happen. I am so close to my kids is terrifies me to think that they may be too far away from me that I may not be their father.

I am a coach to both their baseball/softball teams and am the one my EX calls to watch the kids when she goes out!

I fear that she may move so far that I cannot be the father that God intended me to me. I love my kids! I love being there for them. If she moves away from where I currently live, she will, in most cases, sever the connection I have with my kids!

What should I do?

I have contacted a lawyer and hope to get primary custody of my kids to ensure we continue to have the relationship we have.

Also, she, my ex, is not nearly as involved as I am!

UGH... I don't know what to do!!

• Cathoversal

[/quote]

Do exactly what you are doing - talk to your lawyer, pray. BTW - on a more important note, do you and your xw have a decree of nullity - have you and she discussed how you are going to explain together how she is dating again?

Good question. If the xw if not Catholic, then it isn’t an issue for her, but if you’re both Catholic w/o an annulment…

Also, have you reread the portion of your divorce decree that pertains to your custody agreement? I know several people who had it specified that their ex-spouse could not move the children out of a specific geographical range, to avoid things such as this.

Get to court as soon as possible to prevent her from doing this. God bless you and your children, and your ex-wife. I hope she can realize that she needs to put the needs of her children first, and that includes ensuring a close relationship with their father.

Pray for your children and your wife. If you can start going to adoration. Yes, consult your lawyer and also speak to your priest. Your wife may just be talking. If she's just started dating the other man, these plans may just be imaginings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.