Ex-Mormons Why Did You Leave the Church II

This is a follow up thread to one I previously started but it was closed when the posts went off subject. :frowning:

If you haven’t posted, please do or if you posted previously, please copy your original post into the new thread. The thread is meant to have one place showing the testimony of ex-Mormons.

Thank you,

Pork

PnP, you know that the missionaries convert on the strength that JS is a prophet and has restored the only tue church in earth which was necessary because of the completely apostate state that the c hristian church found itself in. So, I didn’t get the burning bosom thing, I accepted it because, I didn’t know what the bible truly teaches and so readily accepted the proof texts that they used to prove their point. So mine was an intellectual testimony, Mormonism appealed to my mind. But thank God I have been blessed with a healthy dose of scheptisism and after several years found myself questioning their beliefs and through Christian friends started to get aquainted with the Bible. Once I arrived at the conclusion that I no longer believed what they taught I had to face the fact that I could no longer accept JS as a prophet, nor any of his successors, the whole thing fell like a pack of cards, so I started talking to some of my friends in the church about my discoveries especially JS real history, Adam/God etc, and soon enough I was summoned to a bishops court and excommunicated for apostasy. The best day of my life next to the day I was received into the catholic church :smiley:

I left because, as I was studying old LDS History and Doctrine in order to become a better LDS apologist, I discovered doctrine I could not accept (Adam/God, God was once a man, etc.) and history that led me to accept Joseph was not a prophet (the 9 versions, his con-man background, the William Law stuff that included wife-swapping, the Fannie Alger stuff, etc etc etc. I lost my testimony. One of the worst days in my life, and, ultimately, one of the best.

When no one could answer my questions, I decided to go inactive. I asked to be released from my callings. That is when it got bad. Horrible harassment from members culminating in the attempted kidnapping of my children.

I asked for my name to be removed from Church records. Instead, they help a court and excommunicated me. I did not attend the court.

Sitting in Sacrament meeting with talks on temples, being “sealed” by the priesthood for “families are forever”

I knew that God’s love was stronger than that, that being “sealed” for “all time and eternity” wasnt what made a family eternal.

Realized there was no need for LDS temples, or temple sealings, or being sealed to others to be a “forever family”

The rest of LDS doctrine fell like dominos. So I took off my garments, became inactive, and eventually formally resigned my membership.

Never looked back. :slight_smile:

You know, I didnt learn about all of that, the real history, changing doctrines etc until years later after I had left. When I was spending time on exmormon.org.

It was that stuff that lead me to formally resign my membership, but I had been out of the LDS church for years by that time, and have left UT years earlier.

For me, just knew that the need for temples and temples sealings were bogus. :shrug:

When I officially left the LDS Church for Catholicism, I had been partially active (switching off between Hubby’s Catholic Church and my ward each week), and I had to focus more on joining the Catholic Church because the thought of leaving Mormonism broke my heart. I have so much love for the religion even today, but I KNEW beyond a doubt it was not the church that Christ set up. I had to follow the truth, and that is found in the Catholic Church.

It was about a year after I was baptized into the Catholic Church that I started reading up on LDS Apologetic materials in an attempt to keep my family’s (who are still VERY LDS) beliefs in perspective, and realized that the last few hangups I had about leaving the LDS church were gone. The first time it hit me that Joseph Smith had more than one questionable thing regarding his character, I broke down in tears. I was raised to love this person, to have a personal testimony of his holiness, and all of the sudden that whole “bubble” was burst. Nowadays, I’m happy to say that my faith in God doesn’t rely on any single human. The foundation of the Catholic Church is Jesus Christ, God Incarnate. He is our foundation that is built upon a rock; and he will NOT fail us when the storm comes.

When it comes down to Jesus’ Word (The gates of hell shall not prevail) against Joseph Smith’s (who has had a questionable history at best), I choose to believe Jesus. I choose to believe that He has NEVER left the Church He established. And that his love dictates that he NEVER will.

Of course I COULD go into a whole list of theological reasons behind my leaving the LDS Church, but what it boils down to is just that. Christ would never abandon the Church in the way the LDS Church claims it does.

SpeSalvi,

I am sorry for the deep pain that must have been. The biggest pain that I see some ex-Mormons who were BIC experience is when they realize how deceived they had been by those they trusted.

Im glad you are ok. :slight_smile:

How many Ex-Mormons here were BIC (born in the covenant, in born into the LDS church?) I know SpeSalvi is one, Rebecca is another…

I was a convert at the age of 15/16…

My story exactly. Except the kinapping part.

When I was in high school (around 15) I stopped regularly attending the LDS meetings, but at this point my inactivity was due to teenage rebellion and laziness, and not a real loss of faith. Every once in a while I would have a renewed desire to reconnect with God and would have an active spurt for a month to a few moths. I am ashamed to admit that more than once these brief periods of activity were due to a girl.

When I started college (age 20) I found that Mormon singles wards were a good way to meet people, and I should note that I had never really questioned that the LDS faith may not be true. Throughout all this time I was an inactive, but true believer, at least I think I was. I met a girl and became convinced that “the spirit” was telling me we would get married. When she went on a mission I became inactive again. During this time I got into philosophy, theology, and history and for the first time became aware of the arguments other faiths had to make for truth. I found that these arguments were often superior, or just as good, as the arguments being offered by the LDS faith. Looking back I notice that these superior claims had little power as long as I was convinced that the spirit was telling me to marry this girl.

Shortly after her return we began dating again. Eventually she broke up with me and I was shocked. This wasn’t supposed to happen! The spirit told me we were supposed to be married!! Eventually I realized that the break up was for good, and although this was an emotionally trying time for me I was free for the first time in four years to figure out if being LDS was right. I read the Book of Mormon, prayed constantly, but received no testimony. Even if I had, I had become increasingly aware that many non- Mormon Christian friends made the claim that the Holy Spirit had testified to them that their faith was right, and I would have no way of demonstrating that my testimony was more valid.

I came to distrust subjective experiences, and thus like many others here I was determined to strengthen my faith through LDS history and theology. What I found was that, given all the problems plaguing LDS claims and origins, the only way I could believe is if Christ himself had come down and told me to be Mormon.

It has been a trying experience since. I have become very skeptical and it has become difficult for me to believe anything, but I continue to read philosophy, theology, and history in order to figure out where I ought to go.

Truthseeker, this is very common. Just continue to educate yourself and be open minded.

Most people who leave the LDS fatih end up agnostic or atheists. You are not alone.

I think the hardest part is that it has now been 3 years since I first began attending RCIA and digging into things, and I don’t feel much closer to figuring thigs out. I suppose I should get comfortablie with the possibility that I may be old and gray before I figure it out.

I found the simple faith of the Little Flower to be what I needed, and still prefer.

sometimes figuring out what it is is a process of figuring out what it is NOT

I too was born into a Mormon believing family, had some hangups in my youth, and continued trying to believe the Mormon doctrine. Torn for many years between my mothers ND pentecostal church and everyone else’s mormon church, I was sitting in the “priesthood meeting” one Sunday 2 @ 25 yrs old and the teacher was talking about how if we hold fast to the covenants and promises and enter into the Celestial Kingdom we would continue our lineage and have the opportunity to create our own planets according to the Doctrine and Covenants in the Mormon Scripture. Caused a lot of disconnect in my home with my wife, still an unmentionable subject from me. Trying to surround us with the right people who can show her the love of Christ who she may someday hear. South of Seattle Washington.
Currently serving with a couple of congregations trying to walk in the footsteps of Christ.

I struggled with these components for a long time, writing off what others would say as a lack of understanding “what” the lds church was all about. Thinking that if they only searched it for its truth they would understand. I finally came to a point where I couldn’t sing songs like “Praise to the Man” and other songs that would lift up and idolize a person however much good they did when my praise should be going to Jesus Christ. I could overlook a lot of questionable activities as “my discomfort in the process”, but I could not sing those songs, and then I could not accept limiting the power of God to saying that there ‘had to be’ a succession of other “Gods” before him, and that there would be a succession of “Gods” after his reign…

God Bless.
No easy task, and it’s full of landmines of all kinds from all directions.

My wife PIE went through RCIA twice. Faith is a journey, conversion is a journey. Everyone’s journey is different. Some journeys take longer than others. Prayer is a key…being open to the Holy Spirit is a key.

Prayers from others…can be a key too.

I’ll keep you in my prayers and I know others are too.

Pork

I am (or rather was) a fifth generation Mormon, born and raised. My family roots go deep into the LDS church. Grandfather was once asked to be a General Authority, but was unable to accept because of business debt. I guess GA’s have to be financially well off, or at least stable.

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. At this point my biggest hang ups are discerning between Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and making sure my conversion doesn’t cause marital problems.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.