Ex-Wham! Singer George Michael Dies

bbc.com/news/uk-38432862

Praying for the repose of his soul …

Praying for the repose of his soul & for his family.

Praying for him and his family.

RIP

Praying for the repose of his soul.

Another one gone this year, 2016 has got to be the worst ever for entertainers passing away…:sad_yes:

May he resist in peace Oh Lord,
And may perpetual light shine upon him.

And a prayer for his family.

Ed

:frowning:

This was a shock. May he rest in peace.

I saw him in concert about 25 years ago. And there were a couple of empty seats up by the stage (not floor seats) that needed to be filled, so they moved us up so that they would not be empty for publicity shots.

“Careless Whisper” always brings me back to being a teen.

I can’t say that I am too sad about this news. At least now, he can influence our young people no longer.

Still, I shall pray for his soul. May God grant him forgiveness and eternal rest.

Well to be fair he wasn’t ‘influencing’ anyone since the early or mid - 1990’s and I don’t think (based on the little I know about him) he ever wanted to influence so much as entertain.

What do you think he was “influencing” young people to do?

I believe he was one of the first of that generation celebs to come out as being gay and encouraging acceptance/ tolerance, no way to tell how many young impressionable kids he influenced in this regard, and they are now grown ups who believe being gay is totally fine.

Of course, its a progression, back in the 80s, it was still taboo, not so much today thanks to him and others like him, but I still hope he asked forgiveness and made it thru the gates.

He didn’t come out of the closet until after he got caught in that bathroom business. That was in 1998. He hasn’t been influential with young people since the late 80’s I would guess.

I disagree. Found recently on a tumblr blog of a twentysomething militant lesbian…

A George Michael tweet:

“I HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER APOLOGISE FOR MY SEX LIFE! GAY SEX IS NATURAL, GAY SEX IS GOOD! NOT EVERYBODY DOES IT, BUT…HA HA!,” George Michael (June 25, 1963 - December 25, 2016), May 12, 2011. Repost from the incredible @17days. #lgbthistory #HavePrideInHistory

Was he really influential, though? I mean, I was a fan, but outside of being a highly talented singer/songwriter, I don’t think people were looking to him for guidance in their life. Maybe I’m wrong…

Anyway, I always find it a little troubling when a famous person dies that people immediately want to bring up their faults/shortcomings. We shouldn’t elevate them to idol status, but neither should we look to tear them down. JMO.

Are there also “militant heterosexuals” or is it only gay people who are “militant”?

I wondered when the sex issues would crop up, the man was a sinner like you and me, he had problems like we all do, please let him rest in peace…

:thumbsup:

Believe it or not, George Michael had a hit song in the '90s known as “Jesus to a Child.” Do any CAF members remember it? One can click on one of the following links to listen to it:

youtu.be/zNBj4EV_hAo

youtu.be/bmHW-t_me_Q

Click here to read a Wikipedia article about the song.

May George Michael rest in peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.