Exactly by what was the sin of Adam and Eve 'committed' or 'brought about'?

Dear friends in Christ:

I am a Taiwanese currently attending RCIA(-like) programs in the Catholic Churches in my living city.

If I understand correctly, in the Book of Genesis there is no such word ‘sin’, the word ‘sin’ appears in later Books of the Bible. So although I am always taught that Adam and Eve ‘committed sin’ in the garden of Eden, I find I need more precise analysis about by what was the sin ‘committed’ or ‘brought about’.

Which understanding is correct: The sin of Adam and Eve was ‘committed’ or ‘brought about’ by (1) eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, or by (2) disobeying the Words of God by free will, or by (3) the Words of God said to them immediately after God knew they ate the fruits?

They committed the sin of disobedience to God.

Both 1 and 2. They were warned before. They both disobeyed God as well as ate the fruit. 3 does not apply, as they had foreknowledge before all of this. They chose to sin, knowing that what they did was sinful.

Sin doesn’t appear in the Bible until the story of Cain and Abel in Chapter 4. Sin is barely mentioned in Genesis but it does come up four times: 4:7; 18:20; 31:36; and 50:17.

I think it was disobedience and also pridefulness, wanting to become like God.

It’s fairly obvious what the sin was according to the Genesis story. They ate from the tree that they were commanded not to eat.

It seems also obvious to me that the tree is symbolic.

Don’t we all want to take short cuts? The fast track to being like God. Just eat this fruit and you will be god. Only 3 easy payments of… Your soul. Yet Jesus says what does it profit to gain the whole world and lose your soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

. . . :bible1: . . .

1 Timothy 2:13
“For Adam was first formed;
then Eve.”

2 Corinthians 11:3
“But I fear lest,
as the serpent seduced Eve by his subtilty,
so your minds should be corrupted,
and fall from the simplicity that is in Christ.”

1 Timothy 2:14
“And Adam was not seduced;
but the woman being seduced,
was in the transgression.”

1 Corinthians 15:22
“And as in Adam all die,
so also in Christ all shall be made alive.”

. . . :coffeeread: . . .
[INDENT]CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
[size=]ARTICLE 1**[/size]

“I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH”

III. Original Sin

Freedom put to the test

God created man in his image and established him in his friendship. A spiritual creature, man can live this friendship only in free submission to God. The prohibition against eating “of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” spells this out:

"for in the day that you EAT of it, you shall die." 276

The "tree of the knowledge of good and evil"277 symbolically evokes the insurmountable limits that man, being a creature, must freely recognize and respect with trust. Man is dependent on his Creator and subject to the laws of creation and to the moral norms that govern the use of freedom.

Man’s first sin

397 **
Man, tempted by the devil,
let his trust in his Creator** die in his heart and, abusing his freedom, disobeyed God’s command. **This is what man’s first sin consisted of. **278 All subsequent sin would be disobedience toward God and lack of trust in his goodness.

**398 **
In that sin man preferred himself to **God **and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good. Constituted in a state of holiness, man was destined to be fully “divinized” by God in glory. **Seduced by the devil, he wanted to “be like God,” but “without God, before God, and not in accordance with God.”**279

399 **
Scripture portrays the tragic consequences of this first disobedience. Adam and Eve immediately lose the grace of original holiness.280 They become afraid of the God of whom they have conceived a distorted image—that of a God jealous of his prerogatives.281
400 **
The harmony in which they had found themselves, thanks to original justice, is now destroyed: the control of the soul’s spiritual faculties over the body is shattered; the union of man and woman becomes subject to tensions,
their relations henceforth marked by lust and domination**.282 Harmony with creation is broken: visible creation has become alien and hostile to man.283 Because of man, creation is now subject **“to its bondage to decay.”**284 Finally, the consequence explicitly foretold for this disobedience will come true: man will "return to the ground,"285 for out of it he was taken. Death makes its entrance into human history.286

**401 **
After that first sin, the world is virtually inundated by sin. There is Cain’s murder of his brother Abel and the universal corruption which follows in the wake of sin. Likewise, sin frequently manifests itself in the history of Israel, especially as infidelity to the God of the Covenant and as transgression of the Law of Moses. And even after Christ’s atonement, sin raises its head in countless ways among Christians.287 Scripture and the Church’s Tradition continually recall the presence and universality of sin in man’s history:

What Revelation makes known to us is confirmed by our own experience. For when man looks into his own heart :heart: he finds that he is drawn toward what is wrong and sunk in many evils which cannot come from his good creator. Often refusing to acknowledge God as his source, man has also upset the relationship which should link him to his last end; and at the same time he has broken the right order that should reign within himself as well as between himself and other men and all creatures.288

The consequences of Adam’s sin for humanity

**402 ****
All men are implicated in Adam’s sin, as St. Paul affirms: “By one man’s disobedience many [that is, all men] were made sinners”: "sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned. . . ."289 The Apostle contrasts the universality of sin and death with the universality of salvation in Christ. "Then as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to acquittal and life for all men."290[/INDENT]

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
thank You Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
thank you Holy Mother Mary+
thank you Holy Mother Church+
[/RIGHT]

Thanks for everyone replied! And especially to Jesus_123, you really explained very well! :slight_smile:

Good question, one of the most important questions that you could ever ask about the faith.

The answer to your question is that they failed to repent. That was the problem. So you understand what I mean, from Leviticus 4:

"If any one of the common people sins unwittingly in doing any one of the things which the LORD has commanded not to be done, and is guilty,when the sin which he has committed is made known to him he shall bring for his offering a goat, a female without blemish, for his sin which he has committed.

Kindly note the bold. That is the trigger to having to do anything. Now note the italics. And act is unwitting, in the Torah sense, as it were, when one or both of the following is true:

(1) you do not understand the nature of your act;
(2) you do not know the requirements of the law (there is an ignorance of the law defense in the Torah, as shown above).

Here, we have both. First, they did not know the nature of their act, as their eyes were not opened until after they ate, i.e., was only after they ate that they knew what right and wrong was. Second, as you alluded to, God came on down and pointed out the requirements of the law…Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat from the tree of which I said, You shall not…

Now, if you want to know that man’s state of mind in the garden, for a monumental blunder in the theology down through the ages, that man did not, repeat, did not blame the woman. He instead blamed God. And here, as always, please do your best to learn how to analyze the things that we say and write. Words are important. And this isn’t Sunday school as a child. This is now for keeps, as it were. So for blaming God, my lesson in understanding the English language 101:

The woman you gave to me, she gave me the fruit and I ate.

Why is he even mentioning something, anything, about being given the woman? What does that have to do with anything? It doesn’t. Unless your argument is, God, you gave her to me, she gave to me, and so you have some of the fault here, since if you hadn’t given her to me, then she wouldn’t, couldn’t have given me the fruit, as she’d not be here. And so it’s your fault God. That is why he says what he says about being given the woman, and on that note…

Note the “gave”, two of them. Forms of the Hebrew verb, natan, to give. So, in his mind, women = fruit, in that both women and fruit are things that can be given to others. He apparently thought that he owned and possessed her. For what I mean:

So out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.

See the* italics* there? That is the statement of purpose, answering the question, why did God bring the animals to the man? To name them.

Now compare that with:

So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man.

As is readily observed, there is no statement of purpose, as God simply brought her to the man. The naming part is absent because, as Genesis 1 makes rather plain, the act of naming implies ownership, i.e., and God called to the dry land, earth…naming it, thereby stating God’s claim to ownership of the thing named.

And we know this because we have the man naming the animals, an exercise of the act of dominion over the thing named, and so Genesis 1 provides in this respect:

And God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.”

He named them, he’s got dominion over them.

And on that note, if you want the original sin, is thinking that you can own and possess other humans. Started in God’s garden and then witness our long human history, to this very day, of slavery. Is the mindset of anti-Christ.

First I hope you know that the story about eating the apple is JUST a STORY, however, it is true in the sense of what it trying to teach. Basically the story is to say that the first man and women committed the sin of disobedience.

Herculees

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.