Examination of conscience and scrupulosity

Hi everyone,
I seem to be constantly bringing past sins into confession, I feel like i have to confess them even when i'm not sure if i committed them mortally. Are we required to examine the past (as in before your last good confession) before every confession? I'm pretty scrupulous to the point where i'll examine my conscience for an hour for a weekly confession. These examinations seem to bring up past sins or details to past sins that i'm not sure i confessed right or at all. I know that i should set a timer and keep my examination no more then 15 minutes, but when I've tried this before it never seems like it's never enough time even though my confessions are at the most weekly.

Thanks!

Go to the same priest for confession every time. Tell him about your concerns and scupulosity. Follow his directions. Do NOT come here seeking additional advice or second guessing your confessions or absolutions.

Once you have made a general confession (if you were away from the faith or a convert), you should not bring up past sins. Especially if you are not sure if it was a sin or if was a mortal sin.

Those who are scrupulous should have a regular confessor and should not "shop around" for other advice or a different priest.

I will pray for you.

[quote="Christ_Conquers, post:1, topic:306804"]
Hi everyone,
I seem to be constantly bringing past sins into confession, I feel like i have to confess them even when i'm not sure if i committed them mortally. Are we required to examine the past (as in before your last good confession) before every confession? I'm pretty scrupulous to the point where i'll examine my conscience for an hour for a weekly confession. These examinations seem to bring up past sins or details to past sins that i'm not sure i confessed right or at all. I know that i should set a timer and keep my examination no more then 15 minutes, but when I've tried this before it never seems like it's never enough time even though my confessions are at the most weekly.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Please talk to your Priest about scrupulosity. If unchecked, it can be a sin by itself, as it leads to doubt regarding God's mercy. It leads to doubt regarding the validity of your confession. Doubt is the enemy's weapon of choice.

Always remember that God has destroyed your sin, and He remembers it no more. The reason that we are allowed to remember them is not to confess it for the rest of our lives, but so as to avoid them in the future.

What do we hear at mass? "I leave you peace. My peace I give you" (John 14:27) Our Lord did not make sanctifying grace, or the Kingdom of Heaven unobtainable things. His mercy is enough, and flows toward a repentant heart.

[quote="Christ_Conquers, post:1, topic:306804"]
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

[/quote]

If you do not yet have one -- it is important for one who struggles with scruples to have a "regular confessor" who can guide them.

It can be the case that a person with scrupulosity --may in the judgment of his confessor --be in a somewhat different boat in various ways than others who do not struggle with such. Or even others with scruples.

In addition to the direction they give them in particulars --they can give or endorse certain general principles for them to follow in their particular difficulties.

Discuss this with your confessor.

Find a good regular confessor. Trust in his advice and also in Christ who instituted the Sacrament. Scrupulosity is doubting the Sacrament of Reconciliation. You can overcome this doubt as you grow in faith.

Agile is the future of project management. Many companies are adopting agile methodologies to increase team performance and improve customer satisfaction. The Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) is the newest certification offered by PMI and is expected to become the industry standard certification for agile over the next few years. In addition to preparing you for the PMI-ACP exam, this course is designed to teach you the principals and practices of agile, including Scrum, XP and Lean. Don't let this opportunity pass you by, register today for one of our Agile training courses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.