Examination of conscience for venial sins

I often go to confession on Saturdays (lately every week). I try to do an examination of conscience frequently (though I forget to do it every day). I haven’t committed a mortal sin in a long time, and sometimes I will only think of a few sins in a week, but I’m sure I must be sinning much more often and not realizing it. Or I have sinful tendencies, like I want approval, I’m lazy, or I have an emotional attachment to food, but I can’t think of specific instances that I’ve committed those sins-- either because I haven’t committed them, or maybe I don’t realize it.

So is there a way I can be more aware of my sins or is there an examination for venial sins? Or how do you do an examination of conscience?

1 Like

https://spiritualdirection.com/2018/07/05/an-examination-of-conscience-for-venial-sins

2 Likes

A comprehensive examination of conscience based on twelve virtues By REV. DONALD F. MILLER, C.SS.R. Imprimatur: Joseph E. Ritter St. Louis, April 7, 1959 - quite detailed as under each of the 12 virtues it lists mortal sins and then venial sins.

Examination of Conscience by Fr. Robert Altier (first link) is also a good one as it too lists venial sins and imperfections after listing mortal sins.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.