Examination of Conscious

I am a srupulous person and have not normally made an examination of conscious prior to Confession. A formal and full examination of conscious can make me start questioning lots of things and make it difficult. When I go, I pretty much know the mortal sins I want to confess. Does this mean that if I forgot a mortal sin, it would not be forgiven because I didn’t make a formal examination of conscious by going through the Comandments or whatever?

By the way, it is my understanding that if you forget something you are still forgiven during Confession.

This is true, but you are still obliged to confess the sin at your nearest opportunity.

That is not my understanding. If that were true, the the forgiveness of the sin would then Somehow be taken back. Can a sin be forgiven and then unforgiven?

My concern above is that the sin wouldn’t be forgiven in the first place.

My understanding is that it’s forgiven on the condition that should you remember it later you would confess it. Similar go the general absolutions given in a case of emergency. They are absolved on the condition that, if they live, they will go to private Confession and confess any mortal sin.

Both are conditional absolutions.

No you do not have to re-confess sins that are already forgiven that have been sincerely forgotten. That’s why a lot of people end their Confessions by saying for “these sins and all the sins I have forgotten I am sorry.” The reason general Confessions must be re confessed is because they are valid only in danger of death, so if the penitent doesn’t die no absolution occurred.

I examined myself and concluded that I am conscious ;):smiley:

I think its impossible to make an examination of any sort of you are not conscious

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3H.HTM
Code of Canon Law #988
Each of Christ’s faithful are** bound to confess, in kind and in number**, all grave sins committed after baptism, of which after careful examination of conscience he or she is aware, which have not yet been directly pardoned by the keys of the Church, and which have not been confessed in an individual confession.

As you can see, when the person “is aware” of the sin he is then bound to confess it because he has not previously confessed it in “kind and in number” and been directly forgiven for that sin. Of course, if he never ever remembers the sin before death, never becomes “aware” of it, it would then be forgiven

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.