Examining Orthodox Theology

I would like to know what the most important thing is for someone examining Orthodoxy to consider.

I had a really great experience at a local Orthodox Church this past Sunday and am very intrigued.

As my name on here suggests “Come Home to Rome”, I am very partial to my Catholic Church.

After my shockingly positive experience, at the very least I will examine the Orthodox Churches.

In the process, don’t want to leave a single rock unturned.

Which Orthodox if I may ask?:smiley:

Never compare it with anything Roman Catholic. It is a completely different theology stemming from a different philosophy. If you use RC understanding on Orthodox theology, you will never get it.

It would be permissible to look into the religion, but don’t start getting curious on other religions. The devil uses your curiosity to his advantage and lures you into something he knows is not Catholic. Many priests have told me not to be curious or even look into other religions as curiosity can be potentially harmful. The Orthodox Church is like the sister of the Catholic Church, and I love her! However, what they teach is not always true, and that is what is not good about their religion.

At the least, no matter what you do, keeping praying to Jesus and Mary! I will pray for you!:slight_smile:

Please explain to us what formal teaching is not true.

Πιστεύω εἰς ἕνα Θεόν, Πατέρα, Παντοκράτορα, ποιητὴν οὐρανοῦ καὶ γῆς, ὁρατῶν τε πάντων καὶ ἀοράτων. Καὶ εἰς ἕνα Κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν, τὸν Υἱὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ τὸν μονογενῆ, τὸν ἐκ τοῦ Πατρὸς γεννηθέντα πρὸ πάντων τῶν αἰώνων· φῶς ἐκ φωτός, Θεὸν ἀληθινὸν ἐκ Θεοῦ ἀληθινοῦ, γεννηθέντα οὐ ποιηθέντα, ὁμοούσιον τῷ Πατρί, δι’ οὗ τὰ πάντα ἐγένετο. Τὸν δι’ ἡμᾶς τοὺς ἀνθρώπους καὶ διὰ τὴν ἡμετέραν σωτηρίαν κατελθόντα ἐκ τῶν οὐρανῶν καὶ σαρκωθέντα ἐκ Πνεύματος Ἁγίου καὶ Μαρίας τῆς Παρθένου καὶ ἐνανθρωπήσαντα. Σταυρωθέντα τε ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν ἐπὶ Ποντίου Πιλάτου, καὶ παθόντα καὶ ταφέντα. Καὶ ἀναστάντα τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ κατὰ τὰς Γραφάς. Καὶ ἀνελθόντα εἰς τοὺς οὐρανοὺς καὶ καθεζόμενον ἐκ δεξιῶν τοῦ Πατρός. Καὶ πάλιν ἐρχόμενον μετὰ δόξης κρῖναι ζῶντας καὶ νεκρούς, οὗ τῆς βασιλείας οὐκ ἔσται τέλος. Καὶ εἰς τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον, τὸ κύριον, τὸ ζῳοποιόν, τὸ ἐκ τοῦ Πατρὸς ἐκπορευόμενον, τὸ σὺν Πατρὶ καὶ Υἱῷ συμπροσκυνούμενον καὶ συνδοξαζόμενον, τὸ λαλῆσαν διὰ τῶν προφητῶν. Εἰς μίαν, Ἁγίαν, Καθολικὴν καὶ Ἀποστολικὴν Ἐκκλησίαν. Ὁμολογῶ ἓν βάπτισμα εἰς ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν. Προσδοκῶ ἀνάστασιν νεκρῶν. **Καὶ ζωὴν τοῦ μέλλοντος αἰῶνος.**Ἀμήν

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.
He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father; And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.
And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.
In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.
Amen.

One simple one, they do not recognize the Pope; the Supreme Pontiff as head of the Church. I think they have their own Patriarch.

It is true that Orthodox do not teach that there is any one single human person who is ‘head’ of the church. This is a teaching unique to Roman Catholicism and no other Apostolic church.

The Orthodox belief is that Christ is head of the church, and that is what is taught.

Of what Orthodox do teach, what is not true?

I would suggest you to read this.

Orthodox don’t only have different answers ; they ask different questions. :slight_smile:

Also, theology itself is understood differently. Theology is not something one learns through intellectual study so much as experientially through the ascetic life. The true theologians are those illumined by the Holy Spirit and who are experiencing theosis (being divinized by grace) .

There are Orthodox "theologians " according to the Western understanding of educated professionals, and these oftentimes are respected bishops and monks, but Orthodox theology also possesses a strong Patristic and monastic character which is in my view less common in Roman Catholic theology.

The idea I had was that (hopefully) you would explain your position in your own words.

Haha! Sorry about that! At least I got my point across. So am I wrong or right?

Not sure - still wondering who the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church is … :confused:

The Orthodox Church has the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (I don’t know too much so you should into it more yourself.):slight_smile:

Just a suggestion - you may want to do so as well before engaging some of the Orthodox contributors here. The EP is NOT the head of all Orthodoxy. The Orthodox will not take us seriously if we can’t get our basic facts straight.

“Catholic” and “Orthodox” (the nouns) are not two different religions. Orthodoxy is not “other religions”. They are both the Christian faith.

The Orthodox are Catholic.

Can you say what the Orthodox teach that is not true?

You know who prays to Jesus and Mary? The Orthodox :wink:

The Orthodox Churches in union with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople.

**Our Catholic Creed has “God from God” right here. Why isn’t it here? Did Orthodox remove it or did our Catholic Church add it? And when? By whom? I need answers on this. **

As Catholics we include “and from the Son” filioque. The problem is popes spoke out against that addition, the Ecumenical Councils included an anathema to anyone adding to the Creed, but later Popes accepted it. This is an unresolved issue in my heart and mind.

On your second comment, I hope this helps:

catholic.com/quickquestions/how-do-we-counter-the-charge-that-the-addition-of-filioque-was-an-illicit-alteration-

There is no “Catholic Creed”. :slight_smile: I believe you refer here to the present translation in use in the Roman Rite of the Latin Church. The Symbol of Faith/the Creed professed by us Catholics in the Eastern Catholic Churches is as Hesychios has given it, no “God from God”, no filioque, at least in our Russian Greek Catholic Church, nor in the Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.