Examples of Silence in Scripture

Does anyone have some examples of scripture that involve the virtue of silence? I’m needing some examples to pray Lexio on. Thanks

John 8:6-8
Prov 10:19
Eccl 3: 7-8
Ps 37:7

There are lots more.

It was a normal practice by many in eretz Israel, especially prophets, to go into the wilderness and meditate and contemplate on what’s truly important. Jesus did much the same also in the Garden, probably mixing prayer with meditation, which monks so often do today. Prayer is not just words-- it’s also “listening” spiritually.

Isa.41

1. [ 1 ] Keep silence before me, O islands; and let the people renew their strength: let them come near; then let them speak: let us come near together to judgment.

Lam.2

1. [ 10 ] The elders of the daughter of Zion sit upon the ground, and keep silence : they have cast up dust upon their heads; they have girded themselves with sackcloth: the virgins of Jerusalem hang down their heads to the ground.

Amos.5

1. [ 13 ] Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.

Hab.2

1. [ 20 ] But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

From 1 Kings 19:11-13

There was a strong and violent wind rending the mountains and crushing rocks before the Lord—but the Lord was not in the wind; after the wind, an earthquake—but the Lord was not in the earthquake; after the earthquake, fire—but the Lord was not in the fire; after the fire, a light silent sound. When he heard this, Elijah hid his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.

Thank you all!

I especially like the 1Kings reading. That is great stuff.

What immediately came to my mind are the several occasions when Jesus went away to a quiet place by Himself to pray.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.