Examples of societies collapsing due to abandonment of morality

I’ve often heard that morality is the foundation of society and that, when done away with, leads a society to collapse.

I was wondering if anyone could provide examples of societies that have collapsed following an abandonment of morality.

I was planning on writing an opinion piece in my school’s newspaper on the matter, and wanted examples to use.

Pax Tecum.

Some thoughts.

Iraq, the British empire, the French empire, the American empire, Germany, Soviet Union… us…

The Pope predicted our economic Armaggaedon in 1985.
Market Economy and Ethnics
acton.org/publications/occasionalpapers/publicat_occasionalpapers_ratzinger.php

Excerpt:

Conversely, it has also become obvious that the decline of such discipline can actually cause the laws of the market to collapse.

This is a hard read for me to understand and I can’t say that I fully understand it. I hope to take more time to analyze/understand it and also hope to hear other people’s comments/criticisms/analysis. :thumbsup:

With France, I guess the “Age of Reason” was the example of this…but how did a lack of morality cause it?

Also, how did a lack of morality cause the USSR to collapse? I agree that a lack of morality probably was the cause, but I can’t think of a specific example of why.

What about Germany?

Sodom got destroyed by fire because of its sodomy.

Sodom got destroyed by fire because of its sodomy.

If you want to know what the sin of Sodom was, read Ezekiel 16:49.

You also might want to compare the similar story–with a BIG difference–in Judges 19.

Cluny, you can quote a user by using the button “QUOTE” on the bottom right corner of a post. It’s an orange button. :slight_smile:

Actually the most prominent example of of the abandonment of morality causing the collaps of an empire is the Roman Empire.

There is an old axiom “As above, so below.”

As the Roman emperors became increasingly corrupt, and the gap between the top and the bottom increased. People always look to their leaders for guidance, and if the leaders are doing one thing but saying another and there is no way to hold them accountable. You are going to have trouble.

Keep in mind it (the fall of the Roman empire) was not a sudden emplosion, it was more like a slow, spiraling errosion. This goes back a long time before the converion of the empire to the Catholic faith. The key thing I remeber most about it from history classes was that they had a “culture of death” attitude. in other words, no resperct for humman life what so ever. but hey that sort of sounds familliar. . . .

I may elaborate on my suggestion later but I wanted to point out: there are other sins despite sexual morality sins.

The two mortal sins:
Murder
Sexual immorality

In Fatima, Our Lady was strongly against communism and atheism. If you read on this sort of stuff, you might start thinking the Catholic Church was the strongest opponent of communism in existence. Stalin left Orthodox seminary, became an atheist, and actually targeted Catholics at times. His relationship with the Church was extremely complex.

If you read on Hitler, you find out that he was raised Catholic. His father even obtained a Papal Dispensation. He says himself that he hated racism specifically because of his Catholic faith and then when he saw a Jew, he abandoned these beliefs. I am not sure about this but I think 6 million Jews were killed by Hitler, 3 million Catholics. Catholic friar, St. Maximilian Kolbe (who went around spreading devotion to Mary with Slaves of the Immaculata consecration.com miyouth.org)), considered by a Pope to be the patron saint of our difficult century, is also considered “Righteous Among Nations” by the Jewish Virtual Library.

My summary of his life:

Polish Saint Maximilian Maria studied philosophy, theology, mathematics, and physics as a college student, before earning a doctorate in philosophy and a doctorate in theology in Rome, while suffering from tuberculosis. He became a priest, changed his name to Maria from Kolbe to venerate the Immaculate Heart of Mary, sheltered 2,000 Jews in his friary during the Holocaust, and when taken to the Auschwitz concentration camp offered to die in place of another man since that man had family and he did not as an abstinent fiar. During his time in the cell, he led the men in songs and prayer. Finally, after three weeks of dehydration and starvation, he was injected with carbolic acid and died. He is reported on the Jewish Virtual Library as Righteous Among the Nations. It shows that no matter how dire the situation God can continue to strengthen us. jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html.He founded Slaves of the Immaculata, www.consecration.com. More information: acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2005/09/st-maximilian-kolbe.html

Different sins, different era.

Abortion became legal in 1973. Its murder just as slavery was dehumanizing and evil and the Holocaust was murder. You do realize that the Catholic Church excommunicated people for slavery in the past. catholiceducation.org/articles/facts/fm0006.html

It wasn’t perfect then, it isn’t perfect now. St. Peter was the first Pope and he certainly wasn’t perfect, but I do think it tries. :frowning:

In Kibeho, Rwanda prior to the genocide, the Mother of the Word appeared. She said a “river of blood” would happen if people did not convert, repent,pray the Rosary, the Chaplet of Seven Sorrows, and stop committing various moral sins, such as the girls sleeping with certain men. Did a river of blood happen? This New York Times Article on the Rwandan genocide documents the apparitions of Mary prior to the genocide. query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E4D81738F93BA35757C0A96F958260

Then we look at Fatima, Portugal. See some of the messages from Mary (Our Lady of the Rosary) to the three little children: The war [World War I was still raging] is going to end. But if people do not stop offending God, another and worse one will begin in the reign of Pius XI… When you shall see a night illuminated by an unknown light [on January 25-26, 1938 from 9PM to 2AM there appeared over the Northern Hemisphere a very unusual light that scared many people. The New York Times devoted almost an entire page to the event. Scientists attributed it to an exceptional aurora borealis] “know that this is the great sign that God gives you that He is going to punish the world for its many crimes by means of war, hunger and persecution of the Church and the Holy Father” [Within two months of the sign, in March of 1938, Hitler invaded his first country, Austria.] http://www.loveandmercy.org/loveandmercy/fatima.htm

New York Times article: January 26, 1938
Aurura Borealis Startles Europe; People Flee in Fear, Call Firemen; Britons Thought Windsor Castle Ablaze–Scots See Ill Omen-Snow-Clad Swiss Alps Glow–Short-Wave Radio Halts The most brilliant display of an aurora borealis in fifty years held Britons spellbound over a wide area of this country tonight. From 6:30 to 8:30 P.M. the people of London watched two magnificent arcs rising in the east and west, from which radiated pulsating beams like searchlights in dark red, greenish blue and purple. [End of First Paragraph] Buy This Article, Single Article $3.95 select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00817FB355A157A93C4AB178AD85F4C8385F9

Other articles
Los Angeles Times, Jan 26, 1938 Aurora Borealis Upsets Europeans pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/743927742.html?dids=743927742:743927742&FMT=CITE&FMTS=CITE:AI&date=Jan+26%2C+1938&author=&pub=Los+Angeles+Times&desc=Aurora+Borealis+Upsets+Europeans&pqatl=google

Chicago Daily Tribune, Jan 26, 1938Aurora Borealis Glows in Widest Area Since 1709Abstract (Document Summary) Radio and telegraphic communication was disrupted and persons in many parts of the world were awed tonight as the aurora borealis [northern lights] flamed brilliantly farther south than the phenomenon ever has been seen by this generation.
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/441756312.html?dids=441756312:441756312&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Jan+26%2C+1938&author=&pub=Chicago+Daily+Tribune&desc=AURORA+BOREALIS+GLOWS+IN+WIDEST+AREA+SINCE+1709&pqatl=google
Why was the church punished?

Now, there are more apparitions. As far as I can tell the Church is silent. But they warn about the punishments the world will receive. Jesus and Mary specifically mention abortion and gay marriage. Maybe they mention other things, I don’t know. We don’t have to listen. However, when did the Church approve Kibeho, Rwanda apparitions - was it before or after the Rwandan genocide. (The earliest Vatican approval I have to date is 2001)

Do we want to take the chance that these Georgia apparitions will have to take place and the world be punished before we figure out that we should listen? To me, when I read these messages or hear quotes by Mother Teresa by others (haven’t verified for myself the truth though), it sounds like the punishment is nuclear war and she said “The fruit of abortion is nuclear War. What we do to the unborn child, we do to Jesus.” ourlovingmother.org/

Let us compare slavery/colonialism/racism, genocide, abortion/euthanasia, and nuclear war in the level to which they value life. Slavery/colonialism/racism - treats another group of people like dogs, but still wants them alive to work.
Genocide - decides another group of people needs to be exterminated. Abortion/euthanasia - decides than one’s own self or one’s own children need to be exterminated.

A large crowd of people followed Jesus, including many women who mourned and lamented him. Jesus turned to them and said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep instead for yourselves and for your children, for indeed, the days are coming when people will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.’ At that time people will say to the mountains, ‘Fall upon us!’ and to the hills, 'Cover us!'Luke 23:27-30

Nuclear war - potential for exterminating the entire world - nature everything.

When I read St. Maria Faustina’s Diary, I was struck by the fact that she said that God held his hand back from punishing the world because of her prayer. I was also struck by the fact that she mentioned that one city would receive wrath of God for punishment of its sins, like the punishment of Sodom and Gomorrah. In the footnotes, it was suggested that this city was one of the cities bombed during the Holocaust. She died at age of 33 - just like Christ - on October 5, 1938. In March of 1938, Hitler invaded his first country in WWII. On January 1939, Hitler announced in a public speech, “If international-finance Jewry inside and outside Europe should succeed once more in plunging the nations into yet another world war, the consequences will not be the Bolshevization of the earth and thereby the victory of Jewry, but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe.” “Justice is mine,” says the Lord, I will repay."

39 +One day Jesus told me that He would cause a chastisement to fall upon the most beautiful city in our country [probably Warsaw]. This chastisement would be that with which God had punished Sodom and Gomorrah. I saw the great wrath of God and a shudder pierced my heart. I prayed in silence. After a moment, Jesus said to me, My child, unite yourself closely to Me during the Sacrifice and offer My Blood and My Wounds to My Father in expiation for the sins of that city. Repeat this without interruption throughout the entire Holy Mass. Do this for seven days. On the seventh day I saw Jesus in a bright cloud and began to beg Him to look upon the city and upon our whole country. Jesus looked [down] graciously. When I saw the kindness of Jesus, I began to beg His blessing. Immediately Jesus said, For your sake I bless the entire country. And He made a big sign of the cross over our country. Seeing the goodness of God, a great joy filled my soul.

Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

If we receive nuclear war on our country, it may be because of the 45 million people killed as a result of Roe v. Wade. As Mother Teresa said, :eek: "The fruit of abortion is nuclear war. What you do to the unborn child, you do to Jesus :eek:

We must pray without ceasing and sacrifice.

See the Zeitun, Egypt Marian apparitions captured on television.
youtube.com/watch?v=S_X8l9OcEDI&mode=related&search

Excerpt from this youtube:

So do not speak harshly dear children to one another, for God will repay with judgment those you are judging. As for the coming of the baptismal fire, the Lord will come in flaming fire to extirpate from the Earth and burn to the root all the evil of this world that is sunk in vice. Continue to proclaim around the world the Kingdom of God and that our messages are meant to lead you to repentance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.