exceptions

there have been some issues that have been bothering me lately. can God ever grant exceptions to condemntion? for example, i know a wonderful guy who grew up a Jehova’s witness, and had a horrible experience with organized religion. through his childhood, he rebelled, a lot. now he has grown and matured and no longer breaks man’s laws. he is a loving, caring guy, who has helped my friend through horrible, unspeakable things she endured last year, has been supportive and patient. he has attended church once or twice, but i believe his childhood experiences scarred him. is there any hope for him getting into heaven if he were to die tomorrow? would God take into consideration his good qualities, and his attempts to reform his behavoir even if he has not yet completely converted? i mean we learn that God is Just and Merciful, that He wants all to be saved, but also His narrow path to salvation, i suppose I just want to know if the mercy would prevail over the path i guess. im just looking for some opinions on this

[quote=luvthelight]there have been some issues that have been bothering me lately. can God ever grant exceptions to condemntion? for example, i know a wonderful guy who grew up a Jehova’s witness, and had a horrible experience with organized religion. through his childhood, he rebelled, a lot. now he has grown and matured and no longer breaks man’s laws. he is a loving, caring guy, who has helped my friend through horrible, unspeakable things she endured last year, has been supportive and patient. he has attended church once or twice, but i believe his childhood experiences scarred him. is there any hope for him getting into heaven if he were to die tomorrow? would God take into consideration his good qualities, and his attempts to reform his behavoir even if he has not yet completely converted? i mean we learn that God is Just and Merciful, that He wants all to be saved, but also His narrow path to salvation, i suppose I just want to know if the mercy would prevail over the path i guess. im just looking for some opinions on this
[/quote]

Just my opinion - I’m not trying to judge. Only God can do that. BUT, it seems to me that since he did not willingly choose the Jehovah thing, then he will not be punished for those problems, but if he turns away when he KNOWS God is calling him closer to him through the Church, then he could have problems. Only he knows if he is turning away because it gives him and excuse to lead a more sinful life. Also, don’t forget about what can happen on one’s “deathbed”. I wouldn’t worry too much because it won’t do any good. Just be encouraging and understanding when you have the chance and be a good example for him. When he sees your happiness about your faith, then he may be more inclined to search for that same happiness. Just my thoughts on it.

1st John 1:8 - 10. It says He is JUST. It means He is the perfect Judge. What you are asking can not be answered by us men. We can’t say that Jesus or the Father will do what you want to be done, it is not our place to judge. Jesus knows all about your friend!

This is an area open to debate, and long thread it posted on the theory behind it in the aplogetics forum here (salvation outside the church).

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=25991

Although we can’t look into our friends hearts and know what is there, God can. And God is just (in the good sense of just). He will do right by your friend. What that “right” is, I don’t know. But God can be trusted to do it. God can be trusted to give your friend grace, love, chances, help, encouragement, nudges and shoves in the right direction, etc. In the end, God can know what is in your friend’s heart; God will know what glimmerings of love are there…they can’t be hidden from Him. You don’t have to worry that God will be unfair to your friend. God won’t overlook something.

[quote=Pug]Although we can’t look into our friends hearts and know what is there, God can. And God is just (in the good sense of just). He will do right by your friend. What that “right” is, I don’t know. But God can be trusted to do it. God can be trusted to give your friend grace, love, chances, help, encouragement, nudges and shoves in the right direction, etc. In the end, God can know what is in your friend’s heart; God will know what glimmerings of love are there…they can’t be hidden from Him. You don’t have to worry that God will be unfair to your friend. God won’t overlook something.
[/quote]

Brilliant response!

Dear Friend

God is the best psychologist, He knows in total perfection how the human mind works and the resulting choices in reaction to adverse events. He knows human behaviour better than anyone else and will of course take into account all of the trials and tests your friend has faced and will on all of this judge him fairly, as He is also the Perfect Judge, His Justice is not only perfect but full of Mercy.

Don’t worry about your friend, pray for him. Entrust him to God’s Providence for him.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.