EXCLUSIVE: American Extremist Reveals His Quest to Join ISIS

From NBC News:

Just a few weeks ago a Catholic-born, American man –- a former military school student, special forces aspirant, law enforcement officer and bodybuilder – set off on a path far from any he’d envisioned for himself as a kid in North Carolina: on the other side of the world, in Lebanon, he was trying to figure out how to get into Syria and join ISIS, the most radical, bloodthirsty terrorist group of our times.

Don Morgan, 44, said he was answering a higher calling.

“It was months and months and months of asking Allah to guide me or to give me the answers I needed,” he told NBC News in an exclusive interview this summer in Beirut.

Morgan answered our questions on camera as asked by a freelance journalist. Morgan believed U.S. and other law enforcement agencies were already on his trail. He said he knew his desire to join ISIS would likely get him into trouble with American authorities.

This is a really long article, but it is a pretty worthwhile read as it does a pretty good job helping explain the mindset of people who decide to leave the US to become jihadis.

One revealing quote from later on in the piece was here:

But Morgan does not view himself as a terrorist. “I would not classify myself as a radical, but by western definition I would be classified as a radical,” he said. “I just consider myself to be a practicing Muslim.”

As I’ve said before, I am not trying to assert that his understanding of Islam is the “orthodox” view of Islam (I don’t know enough about Islam to say one way or another). But we are fooling ourselves if we don’t acknowledge that there are a subset of Muslims who hold this view.

There are subsets of every major world religion which hold violent extremist views and act upon them. This is nothing new.

At least one Chinese national has joined ISIS so far:
ibtimes.co.uk/iraq-crisis-photos-first-chinese-isis-militant-emerge-online-1463820
According to Wikipedia there were over 21 million Muslims in China as of 2009, or just under 2% of China’s population.

Really? Every major religion has enough radicals doing horrendous things that they are causing global crisis? How many Christians are slaughtering people in the name of Christ? How many Buddhists are slaughtering people in the name of Buddhism? Don’t pretend this is just some problem that is a natural consequence of religion. Obviously, something is very unique to Islam in which this horrific “radical” behavior is becoming less and less rare.

Joining the armies of an enemy is treason, and needs to be treated as a capital offense.

This man went to my high school, a year ahead of me. He couldn’t get through boot camp to join the National Guard, and was fired from both law enforcement positions he secured. Personally, I think he just wants to be a part of some group that will satisfy his need to carry a gun. He was always a bit unstable, even back in the day.

:thumbsup:

There is no need to pretend because that’s just the reality of it. The only difference is that people, including the media, in the United States pay more attention to what radical Muslims do than atrocities committed by radical Christians in India and Africa for example.

OK, educate us.

Maybe you could post 5 or 10 articles talking about the atrocities radical Christians in India have committed against other religions in the past year.

Oh, by the way, before mentioning the “Lord’s Resistance Army”, you might want to review their theology (also see this one)

The theology of the LRA is a sect of Christianity and it’s stated goal is to establish a Christian theocratic State. Just as was the case with the NLFT which was funded in part by American baptists.

So that means you can’t find articles about those murderous Christian thugs in India?

Again, give us some links and not your opinion.

I’m only pointing out the facts. If you’re interested in the NLFT then you can read about them here.

Again, I want some links to acts of religious terrorism committed by Christian groups. You haven’t managed to provide that except for a group that allows membership of anybody without regard to their creed (which sure doesn’t sound like religious terrorism to me). From the link you did provide:

In its constitution, the organization claims to represent the indigenous population which it claims has been marginalized by “the subjugation policy of imperialist Hindustani (India)”; its constitution makes no mention of any specific religion and claims to extend membership to "any person irrespective of caste, sex or creed"

Keep trying.

Keep reading. Particularly the portions regarding forcing conversion to Christianity and support from baptists.

Since it is impossible to force one to involuntarily convert to Christianity, then this is an utter non-sequitur.

Here’s the bottom line: you have no case but are unwilling to admit it. Methinks your acrimony is showing.

Impossible to forcibly convert? You should ask the thousands of Hindus and Buddhists who had machetes pressed to their throats what they were required to do to keep their heads.

this extremist is joining the Islamist organization. When it comes to religion that is all that is really pertinent.

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.