EXCLUSIVE: Republicans set to deliver big statement on abortion

In an unprecedented show of opposition to abortion, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus is delaying the start of the party’s annual winter meeting so he and other committee members can join the March for Life on the Mall, The Washington Times has learned.

Mr. Priebus, a plain-spoken Greek Orthodox lawyer from Wisconsin, will join members of his party’s national committee and thousands of other abortion opponents in the annual right-to-life march scheduled for Jan. 22, the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision that declared abortion a constitutional right.

“I saw that there was a real interest among a significant portion of our members to attend and support the Rally for Life,” Mr. Priebus said in an email to The Times. “This is a core principle of our party. It was natural for me to support our members and our principles.”

washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/5/gop-make-big-statement-abortion

Praise be to God.

Finally…leadership!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Now we have to bombard them with approval.
Our club (Republican) is actively supporting a pregnancy crisis center and has been
backed by even our moderate members.

Hope they keep up the good fight.:thumbsup:

If they march as a contingent, the message will be powerful. If the politicians disperse to walk with local groups, it might be heartening to their constituents. However, the message to the nation will be diluted.

Good news. Let’s see if the TV coverage of the march is any better than usual…

Thanks for the article and the thread Abyssinia.

There were several golden gems in the article I must praise.

The reporter (Ralph Z. Hallow, Washington Times) informed me of the nature and number (168 members) of the RNC. I never knew.

On paper, the RNC is quite democratic in structure — it is made up of an elected state party chairman and an elected committee man and a committee woman from each of the 50 states and five U.S. territories.

A nice summary of the two political parties’ position on abortion from their most recent party platforms (2012) – it’s something I may print out and keep in my wallet for all my Catholic relatives who preach to me " … oh they’re all the same (regarding abortion)."

The Democratic National Committee platform has long featured a pro-choice plank supporting the 1973 Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion in all states and territories.

“The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports a woman’s right to make decisions regarding her pregnancy, including a safe and legal abortion, regardless of ability to pay,” its plank says.

In vivid contrast, the Republican platform reads in part: “Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed.”

This subheadline had me wondering whether, prior to this change, RNC members had to
either eschew participation in the walk themselves to attend the RNC meeting - or go to the March and marginalize their pro-life voice at the RNC meetings that went on without them. :confused:

Winter meeting to be delayed so members can attend March for Life on the National Mall

From the article I learned that some RNC members were going to go - and rent a bus on their own … and that Chairman Priebus then delayed the RNC meeting, offered funding for the bus, and intends to go to the march himself.

Mostly the RNC members are not high profile recognizable public figures - so I appreciate knowing that Mr. Priebus and Speaker of the House John Boehner will be there.

I know Senator Rick Santorum and his wife Karen will attend again (via an announcement on his Patriot Voices website).

Are any other well known Republican party leaders (or potential 2016 candidates) going to the march or speaking?

They should all go in my opinion. Or at least make some sort of public statement in favor of the march. Too often the top leaders of the GOP are conspicuous in their absence.

For that matter are any Democratic leaders (who claim to be pro-life) going or speaking?

Of course good news. Wonder how catholic democrats will spin this. I’m sure it will include something about “policies that hurt the poor, dealing with the underlying problems that cause women to seek abortions”. Etc etc. Or my favorite: "we have to vote Democrat in order I encourage the 5% who are moderately pro life. It’s the Republicans’ fault for defeating moderates like Bart stupak.

catholic democrats

isn’t that a misnomer :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.