Excommunication Because of Abortion Question

My friend and I were reading the CCC the other day and we found something that is really worrying her. She had an abortion last year and has since had premarital sex and she’s recieved communion without confession but only after prayer and feeling as though God had forgiven her (which took her a long time). After reading that a person who has had premarital sex shouldn’t take communion, she’s been abstaining. She also intends on going to confession as soon as she can and then she plans on returning to communion. After she told me this, I got to thinking. If an abortion causes one to be automatically excommunicated, how should she proceed until confession? She is going to Mass whenever she can (Sunday and when she can daily). What should she do in her situation? It’s really tearing her up emotionally and I feel powerless watching her. She’s been praying a lot and saying the rosary twice a day and we even started a novena together. Is she really excommunicated even though she plans to confess it and truly is sorry?

If she truly did not know that Abortion brought on a excuminication then she “may” not be excommunicated. But that is for the priest and bishop to decide not me.

She needs to go and talk to a priest ASAP though, her soul is in a real danger. Even if she did make a perfect act of contrition, there is still a caveat of seeing a priest ASAP. Have her ask one for a confession after mass.

[quote=SFAgal03]My friend and I were reading the CCC the other day and we found something that is really worrying her. She had an abortion last year and has since had premarital sex and she’s recieved communion without confession but only after prayer and feeling as though God had forgiven her (which took her a long time). **** Is she really excommunicated even though she plans to confess it and truly is sorry?
[/quote]

Short answer, yes. She is excommunicated latae sententae (by her own act.)

A person who commits a mortal sin, but does not know it to be a mortal sin can take communion – up to the point they learn they have a mortal sin on their souls. From that point on, they commit a mortal sin everytime they take communion without first confessing and receiving absolution.

She can continue to go to mass, but she must stop taking communion and meet with the pastor – either an office call, or in the confessional. He will advise her.

The second post is right: if she didn’t know AT THE TIME that abortion was excommunicable, then she wasn’t excommunicated, since Canon Law does not impose a penalty, even latae sentiae if the offender truly doesn’t know. BUT however, the state of her soul is still most likely in mortal sin.

I believe that she really needs to visit with a priest that she will comfortable with and most importantly she needs to go to confession. If she is truely sorry for her sins she will be able to go to communion. It will help her feel better after her confession. I will keep her in my prayers.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.