Excommunication?

I apologize if this doesn’t belong in this thread but I’m just curious. Can a layperson be excommunicated by the Church? Is so, how? Why?

If they are and they repent would they be welcomed back to the Catholic Church? Why or why not?

Yes, any baptized human person can put themself in a position to be excommuncated. Some recent excommuncations that included laypersons were those involved in Call to Action and those involved in the Army of Mary.

Short description:

Excommunication - Exclusion from the communion, the principal and severest censure, is a medicinal, spiritual penalty that deprives the guilty Christian of all participation in the common blessings of ecclesiastical society

Here is the rest of the article:

newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm

Yes, someone who is repentant would be welcomed back. Excommunication is meant to be a healing remedy for the most severe offenses, because the Church does not want to lose any of her children.

Diffferent types of excommunication require different levels of authority to remove them.

A person who has an abortion or performs one or helps someone obtain one is excommunicated, but these sins are so prevalent in the United States that most priests in the U.S. are authorized to lift this excommunication in Confession.

Other sins call for the authority of a bishop or even the Pope.

Excommunication is only permanent for the unrepentant.

Betsy

Excommunication usually involves actively promoting sin, and largely protects the faithful. It also leaves no doubt of the grave sin, often the excommunicate claims to be in communion so the official action clarifies that

Different types of excommunication require different levels of authority to remove them.

A person who has an abortion or performs one or helps someone obtain one is excommunicated, but these sins are so prevalent in the United States that most priests in the U.S. are authorized to lift this excommunication in Confession.

Well yes but mostly it is the Bishop’s authority. Priest in the US are often given faculty for relieving excommunication from abortion related activity only

Other sins call for the authority of a bishop or even the Pope.

again mostly the Bishop lifts excommunication I think there are few conditions which require Rome’s intervention as you have mentioned

Excommunication is only permanent for the unrepentant.

Betsy

Yes, the objective is to stop leading the faithful astray, stop the activity, and repent the sin.

Betsy gave you good answers

View these links:

What is excommunication?

What sins bring about automatic excommunication?

How is the excommunication lifted from having had an abortion?

Strong Medicine: Canon Law and Excommunication by Pete Vere, JCL

Thank you for your answers. This makes me feel sad for a lot of people :frowning:

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.