Excommunication

So I have a question-Is someone considered excommunicated because they joined another church and worked at that church but decided to return to Catholicism? Just wondering what the process is for returning.

Just come back and talk to a priest. The door is always open. I’ve returned after a nearly 20 year absence and it’s been great. I never should have left.

Still waiting on the annulment decision before I can participate in confession. I didn’t know if I was considered excommunicated or not but from what I’ve read I’m not.

I was born into a Catholic family, became Mormon as a teen, then back to Catholic church in my 30’s.

Easy peasy. I don’t think one is excommunicated for that.

Not to derail the thread, but, what attracted you to Mormonism?

EXCOMMUNICATION

Ferendae Sententiae Excommunication (requires formal proceedings):

Canon 1378: The pretended celebration of the Eucharist or of sacramental Confession
Canon 1388: Violation of the seal of Confession by an interpreter

Latae Sententiae Excommunication (automatic):

Canon 1364: Apostasy, heresy or schism
Canon 1367: Violation of the Sacred Species
Canon 1370: Laying violent hands on the Pope
Canon 1378: Absolution of an accomplice
Canon 1382: Episcopal consecration without authorization from the Holy See
Canon 1388: Violation of the seal of Confession by a confessor
Canon 1398: Procuring abortion

Thanks

You will have to speak to your pastor about your individual situation, perhaps in the context of confession.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what someone could be excommunicated for pre-Vatican II? It’s a matter of personal interest.

I was a teenager from a very dysfunctional home with an alcoholic parent. The Word of Wisdom solved a crisis for me.

Living the WoW was a great blessing in my life at the time. It kept me from becoming an alcoholic as well. Never had a drink until I was in my 30’s. In other words, I was a mature adult and had no need to do the wild partying teenagers do these day, or in those days as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.