excommunication

Does somebody know how excommunication works nowadays?
When one is excommunicated, he can go to a different church where nobody knows him and receive the Holy Communion.
Thank you, pehlo.

No. Do you think that this person could hide from God?
**It doesn’t matter where they go within the Catholic Church - they are still excommunicated. **
Location isn’t the issue. All Catholic Churches are under the jurisdiction of the Holy See as prescribed by Jesus himself (Matt. 18:15-18, John 20:22-23).

It does not matter, but the fact is that this person would be receiving the flesh and blood of JesusChrist.

The same way it has always worked.

Yes, I suppose that someone could do that. Your point is?

My point is that you would be receiving Jesus anyway.

[FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]1st Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. 24 And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. 25 In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me.

26 For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. 27 Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. 30 Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep.

Would you want to put your body and soul in jeopardy?[/FONT]

So does anyone get excommunicated that WANTS to go to Mass? What type of action would anyone be excommunicated?
And can you be “recommunicated”?

Having or procuring an abortion is a common way.

Confession reconciles that most of the time,but it’s not a light matter.

Hopefully *everyone *wants to go to Mass. I am sure, however, many who meet the criteria for excommunication do not.

Offenses with a penalty of excommunication are listed in Canon Law. Some are automatic, such as procuring or participating in an abortion. Others require a procedure via the Church courts-- such as heresy.

Yes, excommunication can be lifted if the person repents. The actions necessary on the part of the penitent vary with the original excommunicating offense.

:thumbsup:

To their own peril.

The point of excommunication is to impose upon the person the seriousness of their actions and the eternal consequences of being outside the Church.

I am sure there are many who do not care, but many more who reconcile-- on their deathbed if not before.

It depends on the act itself – for example, anyone who materially assists an abortion excommunicates himself or herself latae sententae (by the act itself). No further act by the Church is needed – and Church officials may be totally unaware of it. But that person still commits a mortal sin every time they take confession.

And that excommunication can be lifted only by a Bishop, not a priest.

Sure. The same goes for those who are in the state of mortal sin. They aren’t going to be deanied the communion because no one knows.

But I don’t understand why you want to know this. Jesus isn’t going to get hurt by the desobediant person. The only person who will get hurt in the end is the excommunitaced one. He will drink judgement on himself.

Don’t think of it in terms of punishment.
Think of it as a wake-up call to save a person in error.
The churches main goal is repentence.

(by the act itself). No further act by the Church is needed – and Church officials may be totally unaware of it. But that person still commits a mortal sin every time they take -]confession/-]. Communion

And that excommunication can be lifted only by a Bishop, not a priest.Except that many bishops have given priests hearing the confession the authority to lift that.

As I read the Canon, they can’t do that.

Well they have…As I have heard it said, it’s a blanket authorization.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but do you have a cite for that?

It is within the Bishops’ authority to delegate this power. Not all have done so, it varies by diocese.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.