Excommunications

I’m not to good with using the search box. I know I read on here somewhere where someone (perhaps in the AAA forum), a list of sins that cause us to incur an excommunication.

Can anyone help me find that, or reproduce that list here?

Thank you:)

Check this out:
PENALTIES FOR PARTICULAR OFFENCES

Excommunication, though an extreme penalty, is not meant for condemnation, but the eventual salvation of the person excommunicated (see I Cor 5:1-5). So even if a person falls into such an offense, for example by paying for an abortion, they could be forgiven by sincere repentance and through the sacrament of confession.

Look for the phrase latae sententiae "excommunication ".

James

Recently I was tempted to perform a mortal sin. The resolve to perform this sin was settled in my heart, though I knew it took me away from the Eucharistic table. I refrained from receiving communion since the only thing in the way of my motive was oppourtunity. I stayed in this state of excommunication until God took over and I made my way to confession.

The temptation was to engage in a sexual relationship even though I am not married. I don’t know if it is on any list, but the way it made me feel contemplating it, I don’t feel I was too severe with myself.

Committing a mortal sin is not often the same as excommunication unless its one that results in an automatic excommunication. As if being in mortal sin were not bad enough Excommunication is a dire and deadly state to be in since it means one is in mortal sin with no way to confess until one reinstates to the Church. If one dies in this state - they go to hell. There is not even a hope of forgivness if one is excommunicated - one is essentially in hell outside the Church in grave sin. This is a compelling reason for anyone to get back to communion with The Church. One should consult a priest if in doubt but it does not sound like you excommunicated yourself here.

Generally a mortal sin can be confessed if genuinely repented through the normal sacraments of absolution. But if one is formally excommunicated though NO facilities of the Church (including the sacrament of absolution) are permitted until one is readmitted through the proper mechanisms. Again, one should consult a priest since its a complex area.

From New advent: newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm

"Apart from the rare cases in which excommunication is imposed for a fixed period and then ceases of itself, it is always removed by absolution (watch this word). It is to be noted at once that, though the same word is used to designate the sacramental sentence by which sins are remitted and that by which excommunication is removed, there is a vast difference between the two acts. The *absolution *which revokes excommunication is purely jurisdictional and has nothing sacramental about it. It reinstates the repentant sinner in the Church; restores the rights of which he had been deprived, beginning with participation in the sacraments; and for this very reason, it should precede sacramental absolution, which it thenceforth renders possible and efficacious. After absolution from excommunication has been given in foro externo, the judge sends the person absolved to a confessor, that his sin may be remitted; when absolution from censure is given in the confessional, it should always precede sacramental absolution, conformably to the instruction in the Ritual and the very tenor o the formula for sacramental absolution, It may be noted at once that the principal effect of absolution from excommunication may be acquired without the excommunicated person’s being wholly reinstated in his former position. Thus, an ecclesiastic might not necessarily recover the benefice which he had lost; indeed he might be admitted to lay communion only. Ecclesiastical authority has the right to posit certain conditions for the return of the culprit, and every absolution from excommunication calls for the fulfilment of certain conditions which vary in severity, according to the case. "

James

Thanks James. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.