Exercising on Sunday?

Are we allowed to exercise on Sunday? Such as weightlifting, push ups etc

Yes. I just wouldn’t make it my whole day. Go to mass. Be with family. Get some exercise in.

I agree - Yes.
paduard

You’ve asked if going on a picnic on Sunday is a sin. You’ve asked about sloth. You are now asking if exercising on Sunday is a sin.

You need to seek the counsel of a holy priest to help you understand the third commandment. Listing out every example of things you could do on a Sunday is not helpful. Why? Because the Church doesn’t work like that. It doesn’t have a list of approved Sunday activity.

Worship of God, charitable pursuits, and relaxation of mind, body, and soul are positive commands. Not negative “do nots”. You are to determine what and how you go about it.

Why wouldn’t you?

Certainly as long as one’s intention is good. Only servile work, the work of servants, is prohibited.

As keeps getting noted, the term “servile work” does not appear in the current Code of Canon Law. What is forbidden are things that detract from the worship and rest for which the day is made. The idea that “servile work,” which tends to get defined as anything manual or physical, is forbidden leads to questions like this. If one relaxes by working in their garden, or driving their family to a park, or any of a hundred recreational activities that involve some type of exertion, such things aren’t forbidden provided that one’s Mass obligation is met. I’ve seen too many opinions that verge on the Orthodox Jewish understanding of Sabbath that any physical activity is forbidden. That is simply not true.

No sin, some people find it relaxing to exercise.

No, it is not a sin to exercise on Sunday.
Sunday is the Lord’s Day, a day of rest.
If you are serious about exercise for health reason, you need to build in rest for your body. In other words, make Sunday a day of light exercise. When I ran, I did not run as far on Sundays as I did on the rest of the week.

We are called to work 6 days a week and rest on the 7th. The holy rest which comes out of the Old Testament is not simply about sleeping. It is about meditating on God’s Word. Our Catholic Faith is Judeo-Christian which is why we can build on Jewish understanding of the Sabbath and holy rest. It is fine to engage in recreational activities like personal exercise on Sunday. Can you keep your focus on God rather than self? As another poster mentioned, it is not unusual for parishes to hold picnics on Sunday. It can be a time to enjoy God’s nature through canoeing and other outdoor pursuits. The rosary can be prayed while walking or simply meditate on God’s greatness.

Find balance and give time for God.

I excercise on Sunday…

Why wouldn’t you?

:thumbsup:

YES!

CCC #2042 2042 The first precept (“You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor”) …

If you would hire another to do the contemplated work, beware.

One hires another to hoe the garden, not relax in the garden.
One hires a chaueffer but not to bond with his one’s own family.

Intention can change servile work which is productive to work which restores one’s soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.