exJWs

Hi
I am an ex Jehovahs Witness who became a Catholic. But since I became a Catholic I have found it really hard to believe Christ as God. I find the JW teaching in the back of my mind telling me that this is wrong. Can someone who understands where i am coming from help me? thanks Aroha

How long have you been a Catholic? And have you discussed this with your priest? Was this something that you found difficult to comprehend when you were converting?

hello,

I am glad you have become a Chirstian.
Don't worry. Take it easy on you and on what you are able to believe or not able to.
God doesn't exiosts because we understand that He exists. Behond our understanding the truth develops Its reality.
Many things are infra-rational or ultra-rational.
It is like ultra violet or infra red. You cannot see but they are there.
Don't force to understand. You will know one day without understanding. And remember knowing Christ is the Son of God and God it is a gift of the Holy Ghost.

Many cheap pseudo christian theology like JW and Mormons have a theology reduced to what human with no Holy Ghost gift can understand. They reduce God to something more understandable. They reduce the Grace to something that depends more on men then on God. They are human centered. They are based on faulse analogies that are common.

A good man is more Christian then a bad one?
For the Lord is better being a pharisean or a publican that really knows his sinner nature?

If you feel you are a sinner more then before you are grasping more the truth within yourself and is an uncomfortable one.
We don't like to feel this way. But it is what we are.
We cannot do anything good without Christ.
St. Augustin rightly said: the path to hell is paved of good intentions.

What is good for men is not always good for God.
Just let it go. And put your faith in Christ. You cannot do anything about it.
You have to rely on His mercy.
We are dead people that are waiting Him to resurrect us.

God bless you and have mercy on you

[quote="aicirt, post:2, topic:293210"]
How long have you been a Catholic? And have you discussed this with your priest? Was this something that you found difficult to comprehend when you were converting?

[/quote]

Hi
I was confirmed into the church about 2 years ago. I have tried to discuss it with my priest but in the end all he can say is that its a mystery. Truthfully I never really thought about it when I converted. As a JW we are told there is only one true church on earth and if you arent a part of it well you are doomed. So when I found fallicies in their teachings I wanted to find real true church and be apart of it ( Catholic church) so after all that I sat back and thought who am I really praying too? Who is this Jesus? I feel like a hypocrite going to church when I dont really believe Jesus is God. I feel quite lost at the moment

[quote="aroha, post:4, topic:293210"]
Hi
I was confirmed into the church about 2 years ago. I have tried to discuss it with my priest but in the end all he can say is that its a mystery. Truthfully I never really thought about it when I converted. As a JW we are told there is only one true church on earth and if you arent a part of it well you are doomed. So when I found fallicies in their teachings I wanted to find real true church and be apart of it ( Catholic church) so after all that I sat back and thought who am I really praying too? Who is this Jesus? I feel like a hypocrite going to church when I dont really believe Jesus is God. I feel quite lost at the moment

[/quote]

How long did you study Catholicism before you converted and, if you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons for converting?

[quote="aroha, post:1, topic:293210"]
Hi
I am an ex Jehovahs Witness who became a Catholic. But since I became a Catholic I have found it really hard to believe Christ as God. I find the JW teaching in the back of my mind telling me that this is wrong. Can someone who understands where i am coming from help me? thanks Aroha

[/quote]

Mental habits can take time to break, but it does work eventually.

There are two ways that you could do this: on your own, or with someone else. I would strongly advocate the latter. If there is someone in your parish, or another parish or seminary which you can get to, for whose faith you have great respect, you could approach that person and ask them to become your spiritual advisor. This person then becomes someone with whom you can discuss such issues, and they can help you to find your way.

On your own, reading is a big part of it. It might be useful to start here: ewtn.com/faith/teachings/JESUMENU.HTM

Going to a Catholic bookshop might also be of use, since they will have books about who Jesus is.

I am a former JW - now Catholic. I understand how you feel. JWs are so brainwashed - it's hard to get all of their teachings out of our head.

Pray about it and ask God to help you with the things you don't understand or aren't able to believe yet. Don't feel that you are a hypocrite. Satan would love nothing more than for you to think you don't belong in church because you struggle with this. NOT true.

I was a JW when I was in my late teens - early 20's. I've been a Christian for 20+ years, and a Catholic for 7 years. When I think of the JWs, I am so sad for them. They are sincere, good people - but so very wrong about everything - including Jesus. None of their prophecies have come true (1914 generation not passing away is a big false prophecy) and the Bible warns us in the book of Deut. not to listen to anything a false prophet says. That includes what they say about Jesus.

Hi

[/quote]

The Lion of Narnia (my daughter loves Narnia) just posted an exegesis / explanation of John 6. Wonderful work. I would suggest reading it as Jesus refers to himself as the bread of life, who has come down from heaven, the Son of Man and that he will raise us up on the last day.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=697712

Later, in John 10:30, Jesus says most explicitly he is God and the Jews wanted then to kill him.

30 The Father and I are one.”
31 The Jews again picked up rocks to stone him.

Another website with many articles and audio files on the Trinity is EWTN.com. Search their documents library.....and I would read the catechism. Definitely do both....and talk to your Priest. He is a shepherd who has devoted his life to guiding you.

[quote="aicirt, post:5, topic:293210"]
How long did you study Catholicism before you converted and, if you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons for converting?

[/quote]

Hi
Iprobably studied for about a year with the local priest but I didnt do a proper RCIA course.
Why did I convert? I was looking for the true church and something about the Catholic church just connected with me. I read on a Catholic website the church wasnt made for the bible the bible was made for the church which made a lot of sense at the time.But I never really considered the Trinity or Jesus.
Aroha

[quote="aroha, post:9, topic:293210"]
Hi
Iprobably studied for about a year with the local priest but I didnt do a proper RCIA course.
Why did I convert? I was looking for the true church and something about the Catholic church just connected with me. I read on a Catholic website the church wasnt made for the bible the bible was made for the church which made a lot of sense at the time.But I never really considered the Trinity or Jesus.
Aroha

[/quote]

Aroha, I suggest the following:

Take an RCIA course immediately.

Read CATHOLICISM FOR DUMMIES. My friend when she was in RCIA last year was told to read it by her priest.

Find a priest with whom you can discuss your issues. And if you don't get adequate answers, go to another parish.

Check out Marcus Grodi and review the testimonies by ex JWs and the reasons they converted. This might help you.

Attend Mass and pray.

The Trinity: St. Patrick explained it as a shamrock....three leaves on one stem. He converted the whole of Ireland with that explaination. Simple and direct. There are many things in this life that I know I will never fully grasp like calculus. :blush: or spliting the atom. I accept that. Some things we accept on faith alone.

Jesus: He is not the angel Michael. The founder of the JWs was gravely mistaken. Please consider that the Church was established 2012 years ago. It makes no sense to even consider that the truth would not be revealed to man until 1870.

If you weren't thinking about the Trinity nor about Jesus, what prompted you? Those are two huge differences between the JW and any Christian Church. How did you avoid thinking about them? And what kind of problems did you encounter when you left the JWs?

:crossrc:As someone coming from a church that was like a 2nd cousin to Jw I truely understand how you feel. It did not share all Jw teachings but many of them.
I heard preaching of 2 in the GodHead for many many years.
When I am troubled I remember how they(former church) used to teach new comers to "put it on a shelf".
The catholilc church has so many truths that I am willing to do that.
With the Eucharist , history confession and other things I feel I am in the right place and so are you :)

If it helps here are a few verses I have written down:

Isaih 9:6
Isaih 44:6
Matt 1:23
John 20:28
I look forward to RCIA and learning more!

God Bless

"I and the Father are One."

Hi

[/quote]

Praise God that you are now home aroha! As far as places to look a really good one would be the Scriptures...
...I say this because it becomes so very clear.

Jesus forgave sins before He died on the cross and according to the Bible it would be God Himself who would come and save us...
...This is important because it proves it wasn't a creature such as an angel, it was really God Himself.
Isaiah 35,4**
Say to those who are of a fearful heart, "Be strong, fear not! Behold, your God **will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. **He will come **and **save you." * Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped; then shall the lame man leap like a hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy. For waters shall break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert

John the Baptist was wondering could this Jesus be the one the Prophet Isaiah spoke of...
...He sends a couple of his own disciples to check this out and Jesus says there is no doubt about it.
...Jesus affirms that He indeed is the one spoken of in Isaiah.

Luke 7,13
And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her and said to her, "Do not weep." And he came and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, "Young man, I say to you, arise." And the dead man sat up, and began to speak. And he gave him to his mother. Fear seized them all; and they glorified God, saying, "A great prophet has arisen among us!" and "God has visited his people!" And this report concerning him spread through the whole of Judea and all the surrounding country. The disciples of John told him of all these things. And John, calling to him two of his disciples, sent them to the Lord, saying, "Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?" And when the men had come to him, they said, "John the Baptist has sent us to you, saying, 'Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?" In that hour he cured many of diseases and plagues and evil spirits, and on many that were blind he bestowed sight. And he answered them, "Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is he who takes no offense at me." When the messengers of John had gone, he began to speak to the crowds concerning John: "What did you go out into the wilderness to behold? A reed shaken by the wind? What then did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft clothing? Behold, those who are gorgeously appareled and live in luxury are in kings' courts. What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee.'

Lucifer prior to his fall had the ability to sin & he indeed did sin.....
...I've collected nearly 100 Scriptures which all say it was impossible for Jesus to sin.
...Thus Jesus while on earth did things ONLY God could do prior to His death on the cross.

Praise God you are in the Catholic Church aroha - as you read more of history and the Scriptures you will see just how dangerous the JW's are in theology....
...Best of wishes and may God ( Father, Son & Holy Spirit ) be with You,

Hi

[/quote]

Here is something to help you along......ponder on this......why do you believe the teachings of the JWs? Where did they get their teachings?

From the Bible...you will say....now why would you believe what they tell you? What makes their teachings authoritative?

And compared with what the Catholic Church teaches....why would you believe the JW more than the CC? What makes the JWs more authoritative than the CC?

Ponder on this passage:from 1John 4.....6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

So...how do the JWs fulfill this passage? Who did they submit their teachings to? Who said, aside from themselves, said their teachings are true?

Consider how St. Paul fulfills this passage.....

Galatians 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days.
Galatians 2:2 I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.

Paul had a direct revelation from Christ. Yet, from the two passages above, he goes to visit Cephas/Peter and submits himself to Peter. Gal 2: 2 states his purpose...to present his gospel/message to make sure it is in line with the Apostles and what they were handed down from Christ.

Pay special attention to Gal 2:2...the revelation says for him to go to Jerusalem and meet with the Apostles there.....not start his church on his own. Now ask this question of the JWs....why are they claiming to be the true church? Who told them to establish a new church? Would God suddenly contradict the revelation to Paul and 1john4:6?

Hi

[/quote]

The name Jesus means, "God saves". God, alone, can save man.
They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” John 4:42

Jesus is the* Son of God.* As you are of the same essence as your father, so Jesus is of the same essence as God. Humans are to be adopted as sons of God. Rom 8:15, Rom 9:4, Gal 4:5, Eph 1:3

** “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”** Matt 15:15-16

Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.
John 14:8-9

Hi

[/quote]

Anybody can take verses in scripture and twist them around to make it appear they say something different; the JW's are experts at this. When we say we "believe Christ is God" we say this for a few reasons:

Only God exists eternally (no beginning)
Only God is all knowing
Only God is all powerful
Only God is called God in scripture
Only God is to be worshipped

Jesus fits all of these points above, as does the Father. The JW's won't reveal the verses in scripture that show Jesus has all of these traits, they will reveal verses like John 17:3 to show that the Father is Greater than he. But again, they take single verses out of context of the totality of scripture. They also do not have Sacred Tradition that has been orally passed down through time ever since the time of Christ, or the Magesterium.

In order to be "the truth," that religion/group's beliefs must have existed all the way from the time of Christ until now in order for Jesus' words at Matthew 16:18 to be true: 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

I've asked JW's where their visible congregation was centuries after the time of Christ, and the only answer I have received is "our beliefs are in scripture." Well, scripture is not a congregation. If Jesus commanded his apostles to go out and preach the truth, then surely there would have been JW congregations/houses setup around the world since the Catholic congregations were not preaching the true gospel of our Lord.....:confused:

[quote="aicirt, post:10, topic:293210"]
Aroha, I suggest the following:

Take an RCIA course immediately.

Read CATHOLICISM FOR DUMMIES. My friend when she was in RCIA last year was told to read it by her priest.

If you weren't thinking about the Trinity nor about Jesus, what prompted you? Those are two huge differences between the JW and any Christian Church. How did you avoid thinking about them? And what kind of problems did you encounter when you left the JWs?

[/quote]

Hi
I decided to convert because I was drawn to the body and blood of Christ and I felt the whole mass was directed toward God. In the Jw services noone partakes in the body and blood of christ unless you are part of the 144000 going to heaven. So that excludes most of us. I felt I was missing out on something important.
The main thing that happens when we leave the witnesses is that we can no longer associate with the congregation and if they saw us on the street they would not even offer a greeting. So we basically lost our community of friends but luckily I had no family in there.
I have just moved to a new area and the parish priest is Indian with not very good english so I have been relucant to approach him. There is no other community close by.
thanks Aroha

Hi everyone who has been posting on this thread thankyou so much for all your helpful replies. I will check out those websites and books people have recommended.
God bless Aroha:thumbsup:

[quote="aroha, post:17, topic:293210"]
Hi
I decided to convert because I was drawn to the body and blood of Christ and I felt the whole mass was directed toward God. In the Jw services noone partakes in the body and blood of christ unless you are part of the 144000 going to heaven. So that excludes most of us. I felt I was missing out on something important.
The main thing that happens when we leave the witnesses is that we can no longer associate with the congregation and if they saw us on the street they would not even offer a greeting. So we basically lost our community of friends but luckily I had no family in there.
I have just moved to a new area and the parish priest is Indian with not very good english so I have been relucant to approach him. There is no other community close by.
thanks Aroha

[/quote]

My friend converted because of the Eucharist too. If you were drawn to the body and blood of Christ, you were thinking about Jesus and, through the Eucharist, you were and are closer to God. Appears that you are thinking about Jesus and the Trinity. Continue to receive, daily if you can. Just stay close to Jesus through the Eucharist and He'll guide you.
Do check out Marcus Grodi's interviews with other JWs.
You might also be interested in THE LIFE OF CHRIST by Fulton Sheen. :blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.