Exodus 32

I have a question…in Exodus Chapter 32, God says he will wipe out the Israelites because they begin worshipping the golden calf but Moses convinces God to change his mind. Does this mean that God was initially going to make a wrong decision if his mind could be changed? If so, doesn’t this go against his nature?

See also 1Sam 15:11 and Gen 6:6-7.

No, it doesn’t mean that :slight_smile: because God would have been justified in wiping out the apostate Israelites who had promised to follow God and Moses but who, instead decided to set up and worship an idol even though God had delivered them from the Egyptians by parting the Red Sea and all the other miracles God had performed to free them.

Moses begged for mercy because he knew that God loved his people even though God would have been perfectly justified to destroy the people and start again with Moses and his descendants. God didn’t change his mind because Moses persuaded him but because Moses pleaded for mercy for the people. In this Moses is a prefigure of Christ who also pleads with the Father to forgive our sins for his sake when God would be justified in casting us into hell.

Thank you both very much! :thumbsup:

=AntB;11702106]I have a question…in Exodus Chapter 32, God says he will wipe out the Israelites because they begin worshipping the golden calf but Moses convinces God to change his mind. Does this mean that God was initially going to make a wrong decision if his mind could be changed? If so, doesn’t this go against his nature?

No; but a great question IMO:)

It means that God was Justified and Fair in his decision; but Moses implored God’s Mercy and God relented because of the prayer and petition of Moses.:thumbsup:

Going back to Gn 6…God knows the choices we will make, so he knows he will regret it, so why create us?

I suppose he knows the end result of course but as of today I still don’t see humans being all too worthy of his love, but that’s just me! Guess I’ll have to ask that question myself someday…

This is the great mystery of God’s love, which we cannot understand, but for which we can be eternally grateful. :yup:

=AntB;11702168]Going back to Gn 6…God knows the choices we will make, so he knows he will regret it, so why create us?

I suppose he knows the end result of course but as of today I still don’t see humans being all too worthy of his love, but that’s just me! Guess I’ll have to ask that question myself someday…

Here is the explaination:)

God as he has proven is Perfect Love and love’s each of us perfectly.

[DRB] Isaiah 43: verse 7 &21 explains the primary reason why humanity exist.
And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him. & This people have I formed for myself, they shall shew forth my praise"

So simply put because God loves us perfectly; God DESIRES to be loved in return. But God expects and accepts “perfect & perfected love.” which can only be FREELY given; not forced.

Further we need to recognize that that God in No-way NEEDS to be loved ;He’s perfect; but desires to be loved by us.:thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Patrick

"

=AntB;11702168]Going back to Gn 6…God knows the choices we will make, so he knows he will regret it, so why create us?

Please READ post #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.