Exodus 9:31-32

Now the flax and the barley were ruined, because the barley was in ear and the flax in bud. But the wheat and the spelt were not ruined, for they grow later. – Exodus 9:31-32

On the surface this passage seems a little abstract in its context. The only explanation I can come up with is the vegetation had just been ruined by the hail yet in a short while the Israelites manage to bake unleavened bread for the Passover, so this explains how they were able to produce the bread.

On the other hand the land of Goshen where the Israelites dwelt was not struck by the hail, therefore the vegetation would not have been affected so there’s no need to wonder how the Israelites managed to make bread which brings me back to my question what is the significance of this passage in its context?

No comments hey? Pity, I am really curious to find out :bighanky:

[quote="Augustine3, post:1, topic:331799"]
Now the flax and the barley were ruined, because the barley was in ear and the flax in bud. But the wheat and the spelt were not ruined, for they grow later. – Exodus 9:31-32

On the surface this passage seems a little abstract in its context. The only explanation I can come up with is the vegetation had just been ruined by the hail yet in a short while the Israelites manage to bake unleavened bread for the Passover, so this explains how they were able to produce the bread.

On the other hand the land of Goshen where the Israelites dwelt was not struck by the hail, therefore the vegetation would not have been affected so there’s no need to wonder how the Israelites managed to make bread which brings me back to my question what is the significance of this passage in its context?

[/quote]

Haydock gave a hint about first-fruits. Keeping that in mind, the first-fruits and first-born belong to the Lord. That which belonged to the Lord was not spared destruction to prove His dominion over it. That is why they say that which is grown later was not harmed.

[quote="Augustine3, post:1, topic:331799"]

[/quote]

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 32. Lateward. The hail fell in February. (Bonfrere) Aristophanes (in Avibus) says, the Egyptians and Phenicians have their harvest when the cuckoo begins to sing. The month Nisan, which answers to part of March and April, was honoured with the first fruits, chap. xiii. 4. (Menochius)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.