Exonerated Parish Priest returns to duty this weekend

THE Parish Priest of Cappagh, Fr Eugene Boland will return to church duties next week, following a “long and painful” battle to restore his reputation.

Fr Eugene was found not guilty of indecent assault last June, following an eight day trial. The Killyclogher priest had stepped down from his role as PP in 2010 when the charges were made.

Fr Boland had faced five charges of indecent assault on a 14-year-old girl in the Parochial House, Derry City, on unknown dates between June 1990 and June 1992. He was acquitted of all charges.

ulsterherald.com/2014/03/10/exonerated-parish-priest-returns-to-duty-this-weekend

The poor man. Two years have gone by since he was acquitted. I think this speaks of the level of emotional hardship he has suffered.

Quoting from a 2012 news article:

FR Eugene Boland shed tears of joy as he hugged family members and friends outside Derry Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday) after being found not guilty of the indecent assault charges made against him.

*Speaking through his Omagh solicitor, Kevin McGuigan, Fr Boland, said the allegations first made two years ago had a devastating impact on his life.

“I would firstly like to thank the members of the jury for bringing this nightmare to an end. I am grateful that the suspicion and gossip which this allegation has provoked will now cease,” he said.

“My reputation and character have been impugned by the allegation and the widespread coverage it has received in the press and media.*
ulsterherald.com/2012/06/28/priest-sheds-tears-of-joy-after-not-guilty-verdict/

Fr. Boland is now 68 years old, an age which most Americans are retired from working. His dedication to serving the Lord, and his parishioners, is inspiring…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.