Exorcism in a baptism?

A friend of mine told me he went to a baptism last weekend where the priest exorcised the baby before he baptised him. He said that the exorcism was to get rid of original sin, and my friend said the priest actually represented that he was casting out demons.

I had never heard of this. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

There are minor exorcisms in the Rite of Baptism, but you don’t always see them in the new Rite. In the Old Rite of Baptism, you cannot miss them and the general symbolism is more explicit.

Remember that before Baptism a child is freely subject to satan because of Original sin. Which is why it is very important for a child to be Baptized as soon as possible after birth, without unnecessary delay.

This was the rule when I was having my children–most babies were baptised on the first Sunday after they came home from the hospital. And yet today, at least in the towns that I’m familiar with, baptisms are only held once a month…:eek:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

1237 Since Baptism signifies liberation from sin and from its instigator the devil, one or more exorcisms are pronounced over the candidate. The celebrant then anoints him with the oil of catechumens, or lays his hands on him, and he explicitly renounces Satan. Thus prepared, he is able to confess the faith of the Church, to which he will be “entrusted” by Baptism.

More on Baptism click here
usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2.htm#art1

Every time we make the sign of the cross we perform a little exorcism on ourselves.

hometown.aol.com/Genesis27Life/TradRiteBaptism.html
Here is the Bapism of the Extraordinary Rite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.