Exorcism, possession, stronghold

Illness is not from God,yet He allows it for our greater good spiritually. Certainly my illnesses have been a vehicle to a deep spiritual relationship with Jesus. So, what about a person who is sick because of Exorcism, possession, stronghold? Does someone with any of these 3 ,even if they are good christians, go to Hell when they die? I have no idea about this subject and it is fasinating to me. What does the Church teach on this?
I think I truely new a man who was possesed. Even priests said he came from evil. But I saw more, I saw pure evil in him many times for many yrs. He was my x husband. And I am talking way more then sinning. So, I am wondering about this issue now and I sense God is calling me to pray for him and 3 other people that might have similar problems.
Can someone with knowledge clarify all this for me?
Thanks

I don’t know ANYTHING about this subject, but I’m sure you can find answers at: saint-mike.org/qa/sw/default.asp

Hopefully others will be more helpful in their response on this forum.

That is a super good site for my questions.Thanks!!!

Earthdust,

God makes all things, including demonic harassment, possession, etc. work for our good. Being possessed does not necessarily mean a person is going to hell. A person can be possessed and be in a state of grace. There is a case of such a person, Antoine Gray, who lived during the time of St. John Vianney. His story is related in the book Evidence of Satan in the Modern World by Msgr. Leon Cristiani.

From the CCC

395 The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God’s reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but “we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him.”

We should never give up praying for someone, no matter how far gone we think they are. God gives each one of us until our final heartbeat the chance to choose Him. You may not see the effects of the prayers you say today, but those prayers may very well help that person at the moment of death.

If you are feeling called to pray for someone, then pray!

Peter Kreeft writes in Angels (and demons): What do we really know about them?:

In fact, I strongly suspect that if we saw all the difference even the tiniest of our prayers to God make, and all the people those little prayers were destined to affect, and all the consequences of those effects down through the centuries, we would be so paralyzed with awe at the power of prayer that we would be unable to get up off our knees for the rest of our lives.

“God makes all things, including demonic harassment, possession, etc. work for our good. Being possessed does not necessarily mean a person is going to hell. A person can be possessed and be in a state of grace. There is a case of such a person, Antoine Gray, who lived during the time of St. John Vianney. His story is related in the book Evidence of Satan in the Modern World by Msgr. Leon Cristiani” …posted by beckycmarie

I did not know someone who is possessed can be in the state of grace. That is very interesting.
These past months, I have been often called to pray for certain people. Way more often, then ever before in my life. It is reassuring to hear how powerful prayer is. It is awe inspiring to know that God allows us to be such a vessel for His glory.

Do you know if a person thinks they might be possessed and tries to get an exorcism,but the priests and Bishops do not think this person is possessed, if they can do anything for themselves for delieverance or just accept that it is God’s will that no one will help them?

One place they can get help is at the St. Pio Center for Deliverance Counseling. The SPCDC helps people who are experiencing demonic harrassment but do not qualify for a solemn exorcism, or are unable to get help due to the lack of an exorcist in their diocese. Counseling and prayers of deliverance are done by phone. The person needs to try the self-help steps first (see the help page) before contacting the center for a personal consultation.

earthdust, from your quote

“So, what about a person who is sick because of Exorcism, possession, stronghold? Does someone with any of these 3 ,even if they are good christians, go to Hell when they die? I have no idea about this subject and it is fasinating to me.”

When one goes to heaven, any spirits from the other side have been removed from any access to the body, emotions, and mind… Though they may tempt and to various degrees dominate one who has accepted salvation through Christ’s blood, God is working to renew the mind, and through the new spirit within to grow ones to use the Word of God and find less impact from satan’s forces.

If a non-Christian is demon-possessed, he needs prayerm, deliverance, and to accept Christ’s salvation.

In prayer, " I ask God to send His hosts to fight for_______; even say, the Lord rebuke you satan in _________ area of _________'s life."

Jesus conquered the enemy; “…My sheep hear his voice and not the voice of hired hands or the enemy” (John). Many claim to be Christians in name who follow other voices and abide in the darkness of the world and enemy… I John, those in ongoing darkness know not the Lord (John 1).

God bless you as you seek to work through this… the scars of deliverance in one are wounds to be healed, I believe, and the empty rooms to be filled with God’s life and renewing of the mind and healing of the emotions. But that person loves Jesus all the more for the freedom (unless the house is empty).

Your concerns are most relevant in these days! God bless you for your care,
Hoping will help some readers, too.
PilgrimElaine

:knight2: :gopray2:

It has taken about 2 weeks to work through this,ever since God brought it to my attention in various ways…Bible reading,etc.
I JUST got the reason why Jesus brought this all up to me and it is because I have just been called to do delivierance prayers for others in a more serious way then before. I am extremely humbled that God has choosen me to help others with this in new way.
I can not tell you how valuable the sacrements and sacrementals have been for me. Ever since my priest did a special blessing for holy water and exercism blessing for holy water, as I use this tool Jesus has given us through the Church, I totally experience what many saints have written about. St. Therese of Avila, said once that she was reading a prayer book and kept being bothered by demons. She would make the sign of the cross and they would flee,but return. But when she used holy water they fleed and did not return.
This is what I have experienced time and time again for me and others. the prayers of the priest ,who stands in as a vessel for Jesus to bless the water, is such a huge blessing. I hope more Christians make use of it.
I do see with reading st. Paul’s writings,that his thorn in his side was attacks from the evil one,we just do not know how or what they were. So this tells us that even Christians who are united with Christ and full of grace,get these attacks. A matter of fact, in all Church History, there is not one saint written about that did not fight against the evil one and his demons. Padre Pio, for example,received attacks since he was a child, even when as an adullt he had the stigmata,he was thrown around his room by demons and more.
I understand why God choose NOW to bring this subject to my attention,so I got very clear on it, and once I did, I now join with others to work in prayer for others that ask specifically for deliverance. Praise God!!

PilgrimElaine,
you said," God bless you as you seek to work through this… the scars of deliverance in one are wounds to be healed, I believe, and the empty rooms to be filled with God’s life and renewing of the mind and healing of the emotions. But that person loves Jesus all the more for the freedom (unless the house is empty)."

I personally have found that for me, when I have been delivered from something, there is not emptiness,but the fullness of God rejoicing in thanksgiving for this deliverance. For me, the wounds to be healed,are nothing to do with deliverance and everything to do with not being delivered . The mind IS renewed as God graces us with His power of conversion and deliverance. The old man is dead in us and the new man lives in Christ. It is a daily journey,maybe that is more what you are referring to??

We have not arrived yet while still on this earth.
And the paradox is, as a human being, I will have all the emotions no matter if I judge them as bad or good emotions. We will not get rid of emotions when we are Christians,but God uses even those to bring us wisdom and to our hearts and at the same time He works in our spirit and soul. We live in obedience to God with out minds…regardless of what we feel. Agapa not emora.
I feel strongly about people,particularily Christians who try and stop others or control others to feel the way they want them to or not feel at all, in the name of being a Christian,when in reality it is that they themselves can not deal well with their own emotions,therefore,can not handle others emotions well.
If I misinterperted you, I appologize. But this is what I got from what you said.
God Bless

I was in no way referring to you in the paragraph your refer to… sorry if you took this wrong. I said it was to help others, also. I know this happens often… just thought I’d clear it up. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.