Exorcism Questions

A couple of questions about Exorcisms…

St. Joseph Communications has a tape set out called, “Interview With An Exorcist.” I believe it’s an interview with the Vatican’s official Exorcist (how would you like to have that job?). Has anyone heard this tape? Is it interesting/worthwhile??

There is a movie currently out called “The Exorcism of Emily Rose.” Has any one seen it? Is it any good or worthwhile??

I don’t know why I have been thinking about Exorcisms lately, but I have.

I am thinking about buying Interview with and Exorcist. Demon possession and exorcism is very interesting to me.

I saw and liked The Exorcism of Emily Rose for the most part. It is a courtroom drama and not a horror movie, so don’t go in thinking it is or you may be dissappointed.

…i thought it was scary.

well, I didn’t mean to imply it wasn’t scarey, because it can be to some people. I just meant it isn’t a straight up horror film, it is a court case.

What makes it scarey is the fact that it is based on a true story about a woman named Anneliese Michel.

I thought the movie “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” was a great movie, its incredible that a movie now a days was able to convey a beautiful spiritual message, and be entertaining at the same time. Here are some experts of what one Catholic Author (Fr. Brian W. Harrison, O.S. of Seattle Catholic) wrote about it: (emphasis mine)

“I have just been to see another new movie about the Church, with the full expectation of being provoked into circulating yet another “thumbs-down” warning about it.

*Well … Halleluiah! Would you believe that that particular expectation of mine has just been smashed — astonishingly, wonderfully! — into smithereens? Can anything morally or spiritually good come out of Hollywood — especially in this day and age, more than half a century after the “good old” days when some movie moguls were (putatively at least) “on our side”? *

To my utter amazement, I now have to admit that the answer is 'Yes"!* Divine grace — actual, if perhaps not yet necessarily sanctifying — may be having its effect even in Tinseltown!”*

““The Exorcism of Emily Rose” gets it right*. Scarily, yes, but at the same time beautifully**, powerfully — inspiringly. This one is the real thing, folks.”*

“As a matter of fact, Fr. Moore (played by Tom Wilkinson) comes across as more than just an honest-to-goodness, orthodox priest (wearing his clerical suit and collar whenever he’s out of his prison uniform). He’s an exemplary, prayerful priest. A holy priest. A old-style priest who knows how to talk back sternly in Latin when the demon croaks at him mockingly in the Church’s language. He is quietly dignified in his humiliation in prison and in court. This priest manifests true Catholic pastoral charity and zeal for souls, and a Christ-like willingness to sacrifice his own temporal reputation and freedom for the sake of telling the truth about Emily. Moreover, Wilkinson’s portrayal of this character is totally credible, with his acting rising to a superb level in the last court-room scene where he gives his final testimony about Emily. For my money, Wilkinson’s Father Moore — here in the dark Third Millennium, no less! — is a thousand times better than Bing Crosby’s superficial “cool”, crooning priest characters from the supposed golden days of the 'forties and 'fifties. In short, this was a film that left me feeling proud to be wearing my Roman collar as I exited the theater!”

““Emily Rose” has no foul or blasphemous language (even though it’s about demonic possession), no sex, and no nudity. So the most deeply traditional Catholic parents can see, and allow their kids to see, this film, provided only that the latter are old enough not to be traumatized by the scary scenes.”

*“You should know that there is a simply wonderful, profoundly moving, surprise ending to the film which puts that whole scenario in a totally unexpected, supernatural light. I assure you you’ll leave the theater after seeing “Emily Rose” with your faith strengthened, your spirit elevated — and probably with tears welling in your eyes.”

““I urge you not to miss it — and take your older children along too. As far as I’m concerned, it is a masterpiece: one of the finest and most moving films I’ve ever seen in my life, and indeed, a worthy companion to “The Passion of the Christ”.”

The complete article is:http://www.seattlecatholic.com/a050921.html

Along these lines, I’m doing a paper on Christians, demon possession and spiritual warfare. Anyone have a recommended book from a Catholic perspective? Maybe a Catholic Theologian who wrote a book on Angelology or demonology?

Try this book.

An Exorcist Tells His Story.

In this powerful book, the renowned exorcist of Rome tells of his many experiences in his ministry as an exorcist doing battle with Satan to relieve the great suffering of people in the grip of evil. The importance of the ministry to “expel demons” is clearly seen in the Gospels, from the actions of the Apostles, and from Church history. Fr. Amorth allows the reader to witness the activities of the exorcist, to experience what an exorcist sees and does. He also reveals how little modern science, psychology, and medicine can do to help those under Satan’s influence, and that only the power of Christ can release them from this kind of mental, spiritual or physical suffering. An Exorcist Tells His Story has been a European best-seller that has gone through numerous printings and editions. No other book today so thoroughly and concisely discusses the topic of exorcism.

A couple of questions about Exorcisms…

St. Joseph Communications has a tape set out called, “Interview With An Exorcist.” I believe it’s an interview with the Vatican’s official Exorcist (how would you like to have that job?). Has anyone heard this tape? Is it interesting/worthwhile??

I have not heard this tape but if it is with Fr. Amorth it is probably really good.

There is a movie currently out called “The Exorcism of Emily Rose.” Has any one seen it? Is it any good or worthwhile??

It is really good…a few details that are not right…but for sure worth the money and time you spend on watching itl.

I don’t know why I have been thinking about Exorcisms lately, but I have

And well you should!! We should always have the knowledge of Satan and his followers.

Along these lines, I’m doing a paper on Christians, demon possession and spiritual warfare. Anyone have a recommended book from a Catholic perspective? Maybe a Catholic Theologian who wrote a book on Angelology or demonology?

I second the book " An Exorcist Tells His Stories." I also reccommend " An Exorcist More Stories."Both by Fr. Gabriel Amorth. The first book does not have enough references or documentation to “prove” what Fr. Amorth says, but I take the man at his word. The second book is written better. It has testimony from a Psychologist who actually attends the exorcisms. Also, Fr. Amorth quotes several early Church Fathers who spoke of exorcisms. This was in the second book. I have not researched the comments he has made, not yet anyway, but I too have been wanting to study demonology. I would actually like to write a book about it and get people beleiveing in the devil again!

Okay, being within the Catholic Church, it is easy to see that the Church still performs Exorcism and believes in it. Why in the world does the media and protestants (especially protestants that are big on “casting devils” out of everything from a headache to a stubbed toe) say the church doesn’t acknowledge exorcism anymore?

I made the stubbed toe thing up, but have personally witnessed the headache thing and many others like falling asleep on your arm so it hurts when you wake up after 8 hours and hearing “the devil is just telling you a lie, your arm shouldn’t hurt”.

I thought it was ironic in a sad, but kind of funny way that a Protestant directed this movie (after researching exorcisms and watching some footage of some) making the Protestant prosecuter the not-nice guy and the priest the humble and wise servant of the Lord when so many blasphemous and anti-clerical movies are being made by Catholics. I mean, come on! After “Boys of St. Vincent’s”, did victims of priest abuse really need more youth-molesting priest movies? Here, a Protestant, of all people, makes a more-than-decent priest movie.
It’s funny. As “ugly as sin” the Church “art” has become, Protestants come to it in an honest open-minded search for truth and cradle-Catholics are leaving it, abusing it for their own special interests or joining non-indult tradsitionalist groups for one thing or another. Sometimes, we don’t realize what we have.

I still say that the “Ugly as Sin” aspects of modern Catholic culture should go. We should be making the most beautiful art and sounds for our Lord and not what will be accomodating to the senses of the masses which have been defiled and dumbed down by secular world. To realize what we have as Catholics, for most people, would be edified by high art and music because many don’t have the time or want to take the time to imagine heaven on earth despite the folksy atmosphere in a lot of parishes.

I could be wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.