exorcism

how can we know if a person is possessed or he is ill ?

“we” cannot know, that is why the church does not appoint “us” as exorcists. Exorcists are priests appointed by their bishops who receive special training to make that distinction, and bring in professionals such as psychiatrists when necessary. I believe in general you will find discussions on exorcism, if you want to learn more, on the spirituality forum.

Possession is very rare. Usually the procedure is to eliminate all natural explanations, then the rite of exorcism may be performed by a priest with permission of the bishop if I recall correctly. (Assuming the person is unwilling or unable to use confession or the sacraments.) We don’t really know in the scientific sense whether someone is possessed.

You might want to check out Father Gabriel Amorth’s book An Exorcist Tells His Story, which includes methods for determining possession versus physical ailments.

You might also want to listen to the Exorcism Workshop (Rev. Jose Antonio Fortea), the last 4 sessions.

Hi

Personally I believe that possessions are far more common than is generally believed. Remember that Satan is a liar, a deceiver, and he isn’t stupid - but originally was the highest of the angels, and is able to portray himself as an angel of light.

He isn’t so stupid as to be obvious about whom he possesses - but rather provides us with examples of what is an obvious, recognizable, “The exorcist” type possessions, mixed in with possessions which mimic physical/mental type ailments, even to the point that some are deceived into believing that it is, in fact, mental/emotional or physical. Thereby hiding himself while retaining control over the poor individual he is possessing.

I believe many people aren’t even brought in to the Church for examination is kinda my point - but rather are thought to be physically, mentally/emotionally ill.

I believe the same is true of ghosts, and UFO’s - the purpose is to create doubt. Ghosts create doubt through contradicting the Bible - because Scripture states - "it is given for man to live once, then judgment’’ either Purgatory or hell (as Scripture also states in Revelations - **Rev 20:13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and Death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and all were judged according to their works. ** ), not that we will roam the earth causing trouble.

UFO’s it seems, also leads people to believe many things that are not contained in Scripture. That we are a ‘science’ experiment, or that ‘they’ put us here and are checking up on us, that our true home is somewhere in the stars (not heaven). Scripture is used to prove this - Ezekiel’s wheel - but - given what people who claim to be abducted say about the experience, one would think that there would be a warning in Scripture somewhere about this, since everything else is given for our welfare.

Since God is portrayed in Scripture as He is in Ezekiel - wouldn’t it make sense, since Satan wants to be God, and portray himself as such - that he would mimic what God does (as much as possible anyway)?

I personally believe they are demons seeding doubt - but that is, again, opinion.

Just my thoughts

Peace

John

Thnks 2 all 4 replying…
i have heard a lot abt Father Amorth…he is a GR8 Exorcist…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.