Exorcisms

I have recentely read a true story about an exorcism that took place at a convent in Earling, Iowa - freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1010349/posts - and have become very curious and fascinated about exorcisms in general. How does the Church go about deciding if someone is truly possessed or not? I read that Pope John Paul II performed 3 exorcisms during his papacy and I was wondering if anyone knew any of the details of these. And lastly, what would happen if there was no change in the possessed person after countless exorcisms over a period if time? Would they keep performing them forever?

Code of Canon Law:
Can. 1172 §1 No one may lawfully exorcise the possessed without the special and express permission of the local Ordinary. §2 This permission is to be granted by the local Ordinary only to a priest who is endowed with piety, knowledge, prudence and integrity of life.

Also, see:

*De Exorcismus et Supplicationibus Quibusdam *(“Concerning Exorcisms and Certain Supplications”) — the Latin version is the only version currently available —*on www.vatican.va

Finally, I think you would be very interested in the following article: Exorcism Rite Reformed.

God Bless,
RyanL

Thanks for the help, Ryan.

Sure thing!

Also found this on Wikipedia:

According to a New York Post article of 19 February 2002, John Paul II personally performed three exorcisms during his tenure as pope. The first exorcism was performed on a woman in 1982. His second was in September 2000 when he performed the rite on a nineteen-year-old woman who had become enraged in St Peter’s Square. A year later, in September 2001, he performed an exorcism on a twenty-year-old woman.

And:
Presentation of the Rite of Exorcism (January 26, 1999)
Italian, Spanish]

…don’t know if you know Spanish…

God Bless,
RyanL

On January 29, 2004, I experienced something amid a many-month experience of spiritual warfare, that seemed a great deal like an exorcism, except it happened rather spontaneiously.

I had a powerful mental illness, and had been troubled for days thinking I’m God, satan, Christ, anti-Christ, Paul, Peter, Judas, you name it. I started believing for minutes at a time that I am to play the modern version of all those roles.

Then one time at the peak of my mania, I acted so weird that even my wife started to leave and said, “you are scaring me.” All I could say was “don’t leave.”

Turns out she had studied certain spiritual warfare prayers, and knelt down in front of me and started saying all this stuff, and the most amazing thing happened. My body and mouth reacted a lot like an actual exorcism I saw on TV once (authorized taping by the Church) and it was one of the most beautiful things in the world. I could write pages to describe it. It was scary, but my wife so so confident she just said her prayers and it all came out.

I don’t know if it was really an exorcism, and I have thought about contacting the dioceses exorcist to discuss it, but I haven’t. I don’t know for sure it really matters; all I know is I’m better now.

Alan

Also found this on Wikipedia:

According to a New York Post article of 19 February 2002, John Paul II personally performed three exorcisms during his tenure as pope. The first exorcism was performed on a woman in 1982. His second was in September 2000 when he performed the rite on a nineteen-year-old woman who had become enraged in St Peter’s Square. A year later, in September 2001, he performed an exorcism on a twenty-year-old woman.

Both highly realiable sources. (please note the level of sarcasm)

Also every baptism is an exorcism.

If JPII baptized anyone, then I guess if I’m right, that means technically he performed an exorcism.

I know we’re talking about the more exciting kind, but hey I’m a nerd that way.

Alan

The Chief Exorcist of Rome has written a couple of books.

by Father Amorth Gabriele, Nicoletta V. Mackenzie (Translator)An Exorcist Tells His Story

by Father Amorth Gabriel, Nicoletta V. Mackenzie (Translator)An Exorcist: More Stories

The stories about JPII are true.

As far as Fr. Amorth, there is something seriously wrong with his stories. I find it almost impossible to trust him at all. Here is why (this is part of a larger work I wrote on Harry Potter, so if there’s anything weird in it that’s what it’s referring to):

Further, it should be pointed out that Father Amorth must be regarded as an uncertain authority at best. In an April 2001 Article of the Sunday Telegraph, Father Amorth is quoted as saying, “I have performed over 50,000 exorcisms.” (This article may be found at web.archive.org/web/20041106024653/http://www.catholic-exorcism.org/pages/suntelegraph/suntelegraph.html) On other occasions, the Priest has claimed to have performed 30,000. This point alone places doubt on the man’s trustworthiness. In the same article, Father Amorth says that he “knew nothing of exorcism” until June 6, 1986. Given that this article was published in 2001, it is possible to determine that all of the exorcisms he has ever performed took place over the course of 15 years (this does not even take into consideration that Father Amorth most likely did not perform many exorcisms during his early years of learning, such as 1986, 87, and 88). Over 15 years, there are 5,475 days (excluding leap years). This would require, therefore, that Father Amorth performed 9 exorcisms per day over that course of time! The Priest himself goes on to claim, as do most exorcists, that many exorcisms actually require months or years of treatments to complete. This further compounds the problem. In fact, normally, most diocese only see a few exorcisms per YEAR (for which common knowledge and Father James J. Lebar of the Archdiocese of New York serve as sources), which makes Amorth’s claims incredibly and unbelieveably outrageous.

It is likely, based on these data, that Father Amorth is in fact caught up in the poetry of his job and has become sensationalistic. In fact, it is possible that he has become overrun with pride and is thus boasting, and even exaggerating, his credentials. This makes him a very dubious source for any opinion at all, as it suggests that his statements may be at best from a man untrustworthy, and at worst statements specifically designed by the Priest to be over the top for the purpose of getting himself on the news. Of course only God and Father Amorth know this, and one must NEVER rush to judgment of a man’s heart in such ways as to assert this as fact. However, the reliability of Father Amorth has been undoubtedly called into question.

[quote=flamingsword]Both highly realiable sources. (please note the level of sarcasm)
[/quote]

…yeah…I know…it was late…

Why hasn’t anyone within the Church said anything about these claims of Father Amorth?

[quote=AlanFromWichita]I don’t know if it was really an exorcism, and I have thought about contacting the dioceses exorcist to discuss it, but I haven’t. I don’t know for sure it really matters; all I know is I’m better now.

Alan
[/quote]

Not all prayers of that nature, when they have such an effect, mean they worked because the cause was real possession. Prayers also work for mental and physical illnesses - so I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on that as a test.

At least they worked!

God bless,
Stephen

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.