Exorcist confused

Im a new convert to the Catholic church.I was a “protestant Exorcist” before converting and still have people caling for help from time to time.After months of enjoying my new Church I got a call for help.I told them I had converted to the Church…and that Id have to talk to my Priest,and that he’d probobly have to help them since Im not a priest in my new faith.Well…my Priest said that the Church doesnt help people who are having problumes with Malignant spirits and called Exorcisim “Hog wash” As some one who believes in the power of Demonic forces (I have helped many families in the last 15 years) I feel myself suddenly turned away from the church…which is sad because Ive always wanted to be Catholic since I was a child and have been quite happy thse last couple months! BUT my Priest told me to tell them I culdnt help them and nither will the Church! I have turned them away as directed AND FEEL TERRIBLE!And very guilty! >:(

Don’t fret! Try going to another parish, there are plenty of orthodox priests around, it just takes a little searching. The priest that told you that is incorrect, the Church definitely still performs exorcisms. Maybe you should gently point out to the priest you talked to that it is in fact he, and not you, who is in error on this matter. Unfortunately the secular, faith free culture of ours has pervaded everything, priesthood included. Please don’t lose heart though, you made the right decision in your conversion. God bless you for having the bravery to switch religions in these turbulent times and until this gets resolved pray (especially for St. Michael’s intercession) that all who are in need of protection against the evil one.

MJ

Recently, there was a story in the main stream media about how the Church in Italy has been having special exorcism classes for priests because they have a growing problem with Satanism there.

[quote=chrisrobinson]Im a new convert to the Catholic church… I feel myself suddenly turned away from the church…which is sad because Ive always wanted to be Catholic since I was a child and have been quite happy thse last couple months! BUT my Priest told me to tell them I culdnt help them and nither will the Church! I have turned them away as directed AND FEEL TERRIBLE!And very guilty! >:(
[/quote]

Could this be a demonic influence that doesn’t like that you have come to the Truth? Don’t let one bad experience make you question what you know to be Truth and be “suddenly turned away from the church”. Priests are human and have bad days too. Don’t over react.

The fact that Canon Law requires every diocese to have an exorcist demonstrates that the Church acknowledges the impact and influence of demonic forces. Please, realize that this priest is not representative of the teaching of the Church with regard to demons.

There are still exorcists in the Catholic Church. They are fairly slow to decide that is the nature of the problem, in comparison to some Christian groups. You might need to ask a different priest, or maybe the priest detected something in how you mentioned the issue that worried him. I’d ask a different priest, though.

Remember that you may be speaking in the language of your previous affiliation. I know that sounds strange for me to say, but I had the hardest time with a non-Catholic friend of mine, turning her words into words I understood. She and I often think alike, but use different words to describe it.:slight_smile:

The Catholic Church sure does believe demons exist.

If the people who are asking you for help aare nonCatholic I can see why the priest said that. The Catholic Church would not Exorcise nonCatholics.

You have been told that Rome asks every Bishop to have an exorcist. That silly priest was Wrong. He was wrong to intimate that Exorcisms are useless.

Do you know that John Paul II was the Bishop of Rome? As Bishop he had an Exorcist, and his name is Father Amorth. Exorcists do exist.

And “real” exorcisms should not be taken lightly, they are to be done only by trained priests. After all, the Pope had someone else to do it.

There is a book **An Exorcist Tells His Story
**by Father Amorth Gabriele
you might be interested in.

As others have stated, every area is required by law to have an Exorcist. That priest you talked to either doesn’t know his faith well, or is deliberately spitting on it. I pray it’s the former and not the latter.

I absolutely believe in demonic influence and possession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.