Explain this prayer if you would, please

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

I thought that God sacrificed His Son’s blood for us. How can we offer Jesus’ blood back to God? Isn’t that like refusing the gift of God? It sounds like offering God to God.

[quote="Even_So, post:1, topic:337591"]
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.

I thought that God sacrificed His Son's blood for us. How can we offer Jesus' blood back to God? Isn't that like refusing the gift of God? It sounds like offering God to God.

[/quote]

In a sense God was offered to God, because only the death of God could be a powerful enough sacrifice to redeem all souls in past, present, and future. When we confess Christ's once-and-for-all sacrifice as redeeming all mankind and that which saves us, we can be said to be offering Christ's sacrifice to God for ourselves. God allowed his Son to be sacrificed, but we are the ones who are offering the sacrifice because we are the ones that are benefiting from the sacrifice. God doesn't have sins that need atoning for.

You are quite on the mark when you realize that what we offer to God is God's own Gift. Be aware however, that through Baptism, we participate in the priesthood of Jesus. As St. Peter teaches:
Set yourselves close to him [Jesus] so that you too, the holy priesthood that offers the spiritual sacrifices which Jesus Christ made acceptable to God, may be living stones making a spiritual house... You are a chose race, a royal priesthood, a consecrated nation, a people set apart to sing the praises of God who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Pet 2:5-10
"In other words, brothers, through the blood of Jesus we have the right to enter the sanctuary (of heaven) by a new way which he has opened for us, a living opening through the curtain, that is to say, his body." Heb 10:19-20

So our prayers of praise, petition, adoration, reparation are a sharing in the work that Jesus has done once and for all. This priesthood of the faithful is of a different kind and order than the ordained priesthood, which is a full participation in the priesthood of Jesus. It exists in service of the general priesthood of the faithful, to guide and support the laity and build up the Body of Christ until "it is fully mature with the fullness of Christ himself." Eph 4:16

[quote="bzkoss236, post:2, topic:337591"]
In a sense God was offered to God, because only the death of God could be a powerful enough sacrifice to redeem all souls in past, present, and future. When we confess Christ's once-and-for-all sacrifice as redeeming all mankind and that which saves us, we can be said to be offering Christ's sacrifice to God for ourselves. God allowed his Son to be sacrificed, but we are the ones who are offering the sacrifice because we are the ones that are benefiting from the sacrifice. God doesn't have sins that need atoning for.

[/quote]

Perhaps, Eternal Father, I offer -my knowledge of what the spilling of our Saviors blood means to me-, as an expression of love and gratitude for Our Father in this petition.

You are understandably confused on this prayer. I can relate to you given your Protestant beliefs (I’m a converted Baptist). The prayer relates to the Mass, which is different from Protestant worship services, not just in degree, but in kind. The Mass is a sacrifice, not just a worship service. During the Mass, when Catholics perform what you would call the Lord’s Supper, the priest’s prayers of Christ’s words bring the Holy Spirit, and the HS transforms the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ, which is the sacrifice that Christ offered to the Father for us. So the same sacrifice of the Last Supper and Calvary is made present on the altar. And we follow Christ’s command to consume His Flesh and Blood. So we offer up that particular mass sacrifice for different intentions. This is the nature of the prayer you listed.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have further questions or if I didn’t explain it well.

The fourth section of the Catechism of the Catholic Church is on the subject of prayer. I didn’t realize there was so much to say about prayer.

I think that section is at least 60 pages long. I certainly didn’t understand it all and certainly don’t remember it all.

But, I refer you to it, as it may give you the answer you are looking for.

You will be enriched by the reading, in any event.

In my non-academic and non-expert way, I’d say we are joining our prayers with Christ to the father. The gospels say (don’t they?) that Christ spent long nights praying to the Father. I wonder what all those prayers could have been about?

The Body and Blood of Jesus is the only thing we have to offer to God. Whatever else we have to offer - our praise, our efforts, our talents - are only of value because we have been redeemed by His Body and Blood. Nothing else is worthy. He gave Himself up for us, so that we could receive His Flesh from the altar and so be joined to Him on Calvary; just as the Jews ate the flesh of the Passover Lambs and so were participants in the Exodus, even centuries later.

Sally

Thanks all fer splainin. If I am somewhat correct, this is offering communion to God. God bless yas.

[quote="Even_So, post:1, topic:337591"]

I thought that God sacrificed His Son's blood for us. How can we offer Jesus' blood back to God? Isn't that like refusing the gift of God? It sounds like offering God to God.

[/quote]

through his sacrifice in baptism we share in the priestly power of Jesus Christ.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.