explain...

1. .…little children who have begun to live in their mothers’ womb and have there died, or who, having been born, have passed away from the world without the sacrament of holy baptism… must be punished by the eternal torture of undying fire.
    *—St. Fulgentius, quoted in Hell, A Christian Doctrine

is this doctrine? if so… it should be rechecked.

I’ve never heard this quote before, so I would be interested in seeing the full quotation. The elipses indicate that this is not the full quote, so it is possible that this has been taken out of context. We can’t know if something needs to be rechecked until we know what it actually says.

From the CCC:

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

What you have quoted is not doctrine, but a man’s opinion. The official doctrine of the Church is that we don’t know what happens to children who die without baptism, but we hope and trust in the mercy of God.

Wasn’t the fate of unbaptized children defined in an old world cousel as eternal hell?

I give up, maybe somebody else can find the document.

Chuck

I did a quick google search, and the book Hell: A Christian Doctrine is a small book compiled by the editors at The Truth Seeker Company (a group of so-called “free thinkers”) and published by American Atheists Press. I have not found any attributions for the quote other than this book. If the OP has any original source documentation, I’d love to see it.

But anyway, to answer the original question, no, it is not Church doctrine.

wdtprs.com/blog/2007/04/podcazt-fulgentius-ad-monimum-the-historical-critical-method/

Fulgentius in his book- ad Monimum.
Its a podcast - listened to some but I don’t know if it mentions that quote, though that quote is in ad Monimum, I’ll listen to the rest another day.

St. Fulgentius does not speak for the Church. Personally, I think he is wrong, but I don’t know what happens to the unbaptized infants.

Meh, I seen it on a website with the “10 most famous catholic quotes.”

It struck me as odd…

With all due respect, perhaps you should avoid or at least learn to take with a large grain of salt, idiot websites like the one these ten quotes came from. I found it, and here is what it says about the organization it represents:

Scarlet Woman Lodge—founded in 1993 and located in the Valley of Austin Texas—is a local body of Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.) under charter from U.S. Grand Lodge. We are a fraternal, initiatory organization—similar to Freemasonry and the ancient mystery schools—that has accepted the Law of Thelema as revealed in The Book of the Law…

As a religion, Thelema tends to inspire free thinking over faith, which [notorious occultist and bi-sexual Aliester] Crowley defined as “acceptance of any statement as true without criticism, examination, verification, or any other method of test.” We embrace the emperical methods of modern science, although many Thelemites often denounce certain dogmatic aspects of pure empiricism. Also, Thelema utterly rejects the notion of original sin, and states, rather, that we are all divine creatures—“Every man and every woman is a star.” –AL I:5.

That website came up when I looked up that quote, too. The quote from Luke is yanked out of context so it appears that Jesus was saying, “Take those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, and slay them before me” about Himself when He’s finishing up a parable. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.