Explaining it to a Protestant

We know what it is like to be in mortal sin, how we feel and how we long to be reconciled with God.

We know what it is like when we are reconciled with Him and when we receive Communion the first time after reconciliation.

It is truly wonderful to be back with Him.

How do you explain this to a Protestant? It seems with me when I am trying to explain something so tremendous as this that I cannot think of any words that are enough for this.

How would you describe this feeling?

Best thing is to say what is in your heart, actions speak louder than words also. Just explain it simply that its great to be back with God and in good standing after Confession and receiving Communion, due to sin which we all commit.:D:signofcross:

:thumbsup:

"We know what it is like to be in mortal sin, how we feel and how we long to be reconciled with God.
We know what it is like when we are reconciled with Him …
It is truly wonderful to be back with Him.
How do you explain this to a Protestant? …
How would you describe this feeling?"

OK, you are NOT trying to teach them Catholic Dogma.
You simply want to discuss the emotion of feeling “Clean” from the burden of some Sin you committed.

The Protestants all believe in the Forgiving power of Jesus Christ.
Many of them use the term Born Again … which means, that they have turned to God, and God forgave all of their previous Sins, and so they have been made Sin-less (just like at the end of a Confession).

Beyond that, you get into the realm of Catholic Dogma.
For instance, what is a Mortal Sin, that you are attempting to have forgiven?
And, a Priest (but NO other Human Being) has the power from God to grant absolution.

Many Churches have an “Altar Call” … Where any parishioner can come up to the Altar and have elder members lay hands on him, and pray to God for him to have his Sins forgiven (and to turn his Live – once again – over to Jesus Christ).
So, if a Protestant attends Church that has an Altar Call, this is the SAME as a Confession (in many ways).
And, several people will go up to the Altar Call several times each year (for those NEW Sins).
I would use that analogy (at least, that’s what I think right off the Top here).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.