Explaining Mary

Hi

I need some help. I am new to Catholicism, I am attending mass and will go through the RCIA program starting in Sept. But my question now is one about Mary. My family is not religous at all a definally not Catholic! I am having trouble explaining why Catholics pray to Mary and her role in the Church.

Any ideas on a way to explain this to them?

Thanks!!!

We do not pray to Mary, as one prays to God…we honor Mary and we pray for her intercession on our behalf. Mary is everyone’s mother. She is the Queen of Heaven and Earth. She is the new Ark of the Covenant…one without the stain of sin or original sin, chosen to be the vessel in which The Word was made flesh within her…Jesus Christ. She is truly blessed, because God chose her long before she was born to be the mother of God…She plays a huge role within The Catholic Church…she was the perfect disciple…we should follow her example if we want to love Christ fully and if we desire to go to heaven…While on the Cross, Christ made it clear when he was talking to her and St. John, that she will be the mother for all mankind. There is no better way to get to Christ than to follow his mother’s example. Mary is the symbol of The Catholic Church.

Mary points the way to her Son, but Jesus Christ is the focus of our Faith. HE is the symbol of the Catholic Church.

Thank You!!!

Mary is the spiritual mother to all Christians, even your family members. This is very clear from Scripture. It is also very clear that Mary helps fight Satan for us, she is “the woman” that does battle with her Son against the serpent. God gave her this role not the Catholic Church. When they ask you why do we honor Mary just tell them because God honored her first…we are just doing what He did!

Gen 3:14 The LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above all wild animals; upon your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life. 15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”

John 19:26 When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, **“Behold, your mother!” **

Rev 12:16 But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river which the dragon had poured from his mouth. 17 Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and bear testimony to Jesus.

I would suggest you get a Catechism of the Catholic Church, if you don’t have one, and look up the teachings about Mary. :wink:

Also, here is a link to an older, but still reliable, copy online of the Catholic Encyclopedia on Devotion to The Blessed Virgin Mary.

God bless you on your journey of reconciliation with Christ’s Church! :slight_smile:

I don’t pray to Mary, rather I ask Mary to pray for me, just like you’d ask someone on this forum to pray for you.

Check out the Hail Mary, --actually part of the Angels greeting, and at the end "pray for us now and at the hour of our death Amen.

There is a difference !

mary is the mother of god and our spiritual mother. i know she listen to our prayers. santa maria madre de dios ruega por nosotros… amen:blessyou:

Hello!! Welcome!!!

A few contemplations about Holy Mary…

If you’ll remember, every time the Lord made his presense known to man in the O.T…it was with the upmost reverence that, Abraham, Moses, and countless others were to recieve the message! Take off your sandles, your on Holy ground…the burning bush…hair turning white…no one else allowed but the choosen…Mary was choosen, and her womb was the Holy place where God choose to dwell…WOW.

Another contemplation…When we ask Mary to lead us to Jesus, it is fitting. Only one apostle made it all the way to the cross, and he was holding Mary’s hand. You can hold Mary’s hand too, and she will lead you to Jesus too, giving strength as she did the beloved apostle.

Love, Lilly

Mary is also the first disciple. She was definately the leader in many ways. From the annuciation to the ascension, she was there. Most of the time, she had no words. But her silence was still eloquent. At the annunciation, her words were “Behold, the handmaiden of the Lord. Let it be done to me as thou hast said.” At the nativity, no words are recorded. Then, when the child Jesus stayed behind in Jeruselem, her words were, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” In this, her great love shines through.

Then, at the wedding feast at Cana. The host was running out of wine. A major faux pau in those days. She turned to Jesus. “Son, they have run out of wine.” His response was, “what has that got to do with me?” Kinda rude, don’t you think? But she turned to the servents and said, “Do whatever he tells you to do.” She knew her son. She had made a request, and knew that he could, and would, fulfill it.

The story doesn’t end there. There were other times when they were together. One of the greatest was at the cross. “Behold, your mother. Behold, your son.” If she had had other children, why would this have been called for? Also, we are told that she was with the apostles and other believer’s (amounting to 120 persons) on the day of penticost. She, too, received the Holy Spirit on that day. We know nothing of her life after that. But one can see how full her life was. Her son was, and is, our redeemer. She is the queen mother, mother of the King. And her advice to us is the same as the advice she gave to the servents at the wedding feast in Cana. “Do whatever HE tells you.”

um… we do pray to Mary, as a part of a devotion we call ‘hyper-dulia’. What we don’t do is worship her as some kind of divine being.

There is a wonderful priest named Father Corapi – if you don’t know him, look him up on the internet, EWTN, Catholic radio, etc. I like what he has to say about Mary:

“If she was good enough for Jesus, she’s good enough for me!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.